Speculation: Calle Järnkrok this spring

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I could be wrong (Often am) but I don't think there is a # of games rule when it comes to Calder Cup Playoff eligibility.

There is/was a rule that says any player on an NHL roster at the trade deadline is ineligible for the AHL playoffs but this can be circumvented by sending down all your rookies (On paper only) the afternoon of the trade deadline and recalling them minutes after it passes.

That loophole might have been closed though because as you said, Edmonton probably would have taken advantage of it last season.

Yes, the clear day roster. You could only submit 22 players and NHL teams were only allowed four recalls after that date(trade deadline). OKC had Paajarvi, Omark and Lander for instance, effectively filling their player quota anyway. RNH was not old enough to play in the AHL last year, and Eberle and Hall were NHL stars anyway. Clubs don't send such guys down and risk injuries.

Anyway, with the new CBA, they've removed this. You will now name your AHL playoff roster at the conclusion of the regular season(of the AHL, finishes five days before the NHL regular season). The NHL callup restrictions were removed completely.

So this would mean that the Griffins could effectively use all of Smith, Andersson, Nyquist, Tatar, Lashoff to begin with as long as the Wings make them available.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
22 players?
Nyquist
Tatar
Jarnkrok
Andersson
Sheahan
Ferraro
Pare
Jurco
Callahan
Hoggan
Glendening
Grant
Parkes
Raedeke

Smith
Lashoff
Almqvist
Paetsch
Skinner
Evans
Ouellet*
Sproul*

Mrazek
McCollum

* I don't think Ouellet and Sproul would count against the limit.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
He will wont play in the AHL over the worlds in Sweden he would get killed in the Swedish press if he did. If he actually would play in DRW that's another thing, but I see no reason for DRW to pick him up at this point.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
He will wont play in the AHL over the worlds in Sweden he would get killed in the Swedish press if he did. If he actually would play in DRW that's another thing, but I see no reason for DRW to pick him up at this point.

It's over 1½ months to the WCH from the season's end. No one will give a crap about the World Champs at the time he's potentially recalled to Detroit.

That said, the Swedish Federation could stop him from going(because they own the player over the WCH if they want per the transfer agreement), but they didn't stop Silfverberg and wouldn't stop Jarnkrok.

Laista

Apr 21, 2012
Gävle
I dont see Jarnkrok take a solid place top 6.
He needs 30 games AHL style under the belt before that.
Great playmaker and will be a Red Wing for sure but hold the puck a lot and that will not work for now. He needs the similar AHL icetime as Silvferberg. But if he will be over after the seson here in sweden ends, i hope he prove me wrong about that!

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
It's over 1½ months to the WCH from the season's end. No one will give a crap about the World Champs at the time he's potentially recalled to Detroit.

That said, the Swedish Federation could stop him from going(because they own the player over the WCH if they want per the transfer agreement), but they didn't stop Silfverberg and wouldn't stop Jarnkrok.

It wont happen (järnkrok playing in the AHL over the WHC in Sweden).

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It wont happen (järnkrok playing in the AHL over the WHC in Sweden).

Jarnkrok will do what the Wings tell him to do. He played in the WC last year, they might decide it is a great idea for him to play there again. But they also might tell him he has no chance of making the team out of camp if he doesn't come over and play the post-season in the AHL and get some NA games under his belt. It is really a club decision or I guess Jarnkrok could get off to a bad start with them and refuse. Probably not wise with a team that owns your rights until you're 27 and will dictate what league you play in for the next two years. Good thing is the Wings generally value the WC, I think however in this particular case jump starting his time in NA would be the correct move. Lets face it Grand Rapids has an excellent chance at winning it all should the right guys be down there for a post-season run and that would be excellent development for all of those prospects.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
22 players?
Nyquist
Tatar
Jarnkrok
Andersson
Sheahan
Ferraro
Pare
Jurco
Callahan
Hoggan
Glendening
Grant
Parkes
Raedeke

Smith
Lashoff
Almqvist
Paetsch
Skinner
Evans
Ouellet*
Sproul*

Mrazek
McCollum

* I don't think Ouellet and Sproul would count against the limit.

You left out Billins although I would start Ouellet and Sproul over him, doubt Blashill does though.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Jarnkrok will do what the Wings tell him to do. He played in the WC last year, they might decide it is a great idea for him to play there again. But they also might tell him he has no chance of making the team out of camp if he doesn't come over and play the post-season in the AHL and get some NA games under his belt. It is really a club decision or I guess Jarnkrok could get off to a bad start with them and refuse. Probably not wise with a team that owns your rights until you're 27 and will dictate what league you play in for the next two years. Good thing is the Wings generally value the WC, I think however in this particular case jump starting his time in NA would be the correct move. Lets face it Grand Rapids has an excellent chance at winning it all should the right guys be down there for a post-season run and that would be excellent development for all of those prospects.
I'm quite sure they've already said that they'd like to see him at the WC. Such as in the RWC article:

"In large part, that (NHL role in 13-14) will depend on how well he performs at the IIHF world championship in May, assuming he makes Team Sweden.

“We’ll see how he finishes,” said Red Wings director of European scouting Hakan Andersson. “We all feel he’s a top-six forward in the long run. He’s a smart player, he works really hard, he’s got good hands, good hockey sense. Adapting to the game, I don’t think it’s going to be a problem.”"

So apparently it's the WC before the AHL, in the eyes of the Wings management.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I'm quite sure they've already said that they'd like to see him at the WC. Such as in the RWC article:

"In large part, that (NHL role in 13-14) will depend on how well he performs at the IIHF world championship in May, assuming he makes Team Sweden.

“We’ll see how he finishes,†said Red Wings director of European scouting Hakan Andersson. “We all feel he’s a top-six forward in the long run. He’s a smart player, he works really hard, he’s got good hands, good hockey sense. Adapting to the game, I don’t think it’s going to be a problem.â€"

I haven't read the article so I may not have the whole story but given your quote it seems like the only person the mention the WC is the author. Hakan just says "We'll see how he finishes" and as pointed out in another thread Hakan usually is very ambiguous with his statements about player's plans.

I'd rather see him in GR, so he can get some NA games under his belt and have an even better shot at making the Wings roster out of camp.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

“We’ll see how he finishes,†said Red Wings director of European scouting Hakan Andersson. “We all feel he’s a top-six forward in the long run. He’s a smart player, he works really hard, he’s got good hands, good hockey sense. Adapting to the game, I don’t think it’s going to be a problem.â€"

I don't think anybody thought Brynäs IF would be this bad either though and the Griffins have legitimate title aspirations down in the AHL. We will see, I do think an interesting thing to keep tabs on is that he keeps missing the EHTs over there with some sort of injury. He has withdrawn from the last two. So he might need the month and a half off between the WC and Swedish season. But I would expect the Wings to have a discussion on this should that team crash out super early, something I don't think a ton of the earlier quotes really considered.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

Why not both? :dunno:

Nothing wrong with getting to see what he is like in NA, then he gets to go play in the WC against players from the NHL, win-win imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad