Speculation: Calle Järnkrok this spring

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Prospect Järnkrok's Brynäs won the league last year, but are looking much weaker now. Chances are they'll miss playoffs. If they do, or if they are eliminated quickly, will Järnkrok finish the season in Detroit and/or Grand Rapids? He is under DRW contract, and currently on loan to Brynäs. This solution would give him some NA experience and a chance to train with the team, play some Griffin games and be a black ace for the playoffs. Any thoughts?

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Prospect Järnkrok's Brynäs won the league last year, but are looking much weaker now. Chances are they'll miss playoffs. If they do, or if they are eliminated quickly, will Järnkrok finish the season in Detroit and/or Grand Rapids? He is under DRW contract, and currently on loan to Brynäs. This solution would give him some NA experience and a chance to train with the team, play some Griffin games and be a black ace for the playoffs. Any thoughts?

I think its a good bet to happen. For more discussion on the top, try the prospect thread in the sticky section, i believe the last page is talking about this topic.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Possible. Very possible.

But, how about those World Championships in Sweden?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He has skipped the last two EHT, he might be carrying an injury that needs rest as soon as his season is over. I think if he is good health wise they will bring him over though.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Silfverberg had a short stint for Ottawa in last year's playoffs. And they went all the way. No reason Jarnkrok couldn't come over to NA and at least play in the AHL or something.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Starts in May 3rd. He could be playing a full month+ with GR and still have time for WC.

Make no mistake if he comes over, he probably will not play in the WC. The Griffins especially with Jarnkrok and all the players they can put on the roster for the playoffs have to be one of the favorites for the championship down in the AHL.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Make no mistake if he comes over, he probably will not play in the WC. The Griffins especially with Jarnkrok and all the players they can put on the roster for the playoffs have to be one of the favorites for the championship down in the AHL.

Hmm...World Championships or AHL. What would be better? Of course the World Championships!

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Not for Wings fans. I would much rather him make a two month long playoff run on small ice getting ready for next year.
I wouldn't be one bit surprised if the Wings management see the World's as a better choice. They seem to value international experience alot, especially if it's on the senior level.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I wouldn't be one bit surprised if the Wings management see the World's as a better choice. They seem to value international experience alot, especially if it's on the senior level.

I don't see how you come to this conclusion.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
The competition is arguably tougher than in the AHL. But since GR hasn't seen much playoff action lately, I could see him playing there as well. I don't really mind, either way.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

I'm not sure how they value AHL playoffs vs World Champs, but Hakan Andersson always talks about how good it would be for player X to get some International play on the resume before crossing the pond. Now obviously Calle has already played in a World Championship and a bunch of other tournaments too.

Purely individual, I think the AHL playoffs would be better for him. There's no layoff after the SEL season ends for him and it will benefit him greatly coming into camp next season. The World Champs is more of an experience thing(not to underestimate), but it means little in player development.

If I have to speculate, Detroit will leave the decision up to him. It's a bit of a win-win after all. But they didn't hesitate to get Almqvist to come over and I don't think they would hesitate to bring Calle over.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Just imagine if he does indeed cross the pond and the wings don't make the playoffs. Grand Rapids would have to be the odds on favorite to win it all. You would have Tatar, Nyquist & Andersson back down there while adding another super slick skill player to the mix. All while you get your best goalie back as well

A question to the Griffin watchers would Calle slot into a top 6 role or would he play on the 3rd line with Jurco?

Rael

Dec 28, 2012
Vienna
The competition is arguably tougher than in the AHL. But since GR hasn't seen much playoff action lately, I could see him playing there as well. I don't really mind, either way.

Me neither, both are great options. Just remember how Tatar played in last year's WC and how he's playing this season.

Rael

Dec 28, 2012
Vienna
Just imagine if he does indeed cross the pond and the wings don't make the playoffs. Grand Rapids would have to be the odds on favorite to win it all. You would have Tatar, Nyquist & Andersson back down there while adding another super slick skill player to the mix. All while you get your best goalie back as well

A question to the Griffin watchers would Calle slot into a top 6 role or would he play on the 3rd line with Jurco?

That would look extremely solid... Also the back end with the possible addition of Sproul and maybe Marchenko (?).

On another note, do you guys think Martin Frk has a chance to play in the AHL playoffs this year? I mean, Halifax will most likely have a long season as well but isn't the AHL's season still longer?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Maybe we should call also Pulkkinen to Grand Rapids after the season in Finland is over? He has kind of zero chance to get in World Championships, but Jokerit could have a long playoff run. Still, Finnish playoffs end at same time when AHL-playoffs start, so it's possible for him be a playoff call.

Aug 6, 2012

Well if people think he can make Detroit next year, I'm sure he'd be top six. Speculating that the Wings miss the playoffs, maybe we would see something like this in GR for the playoffs:

Nyquist - Jarnkrok - Ferraro
Tatar - Andersson - Pare
Hoggan - Sheahan - Jurco

I think that would be awesome, but you could do a hundred different combinations that would work well. And Calle would probably QB the 1st unit.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Well if people think he can make Detroit next year, I'm sure he'd be top six. Speculating that the Wings miss the playoffs, maybe we would see something like this in GR for the playoffs:

Nyquist - Jarnkrok - Ferraro
Tatar - Andersson - Pare
Hoggan - Sheahan - Jurco

I think that would be awesome, but you could do a hundred different combinations that would work well. And Calle would probably QB the 1st unit.

That looks pretty sweet. Throw in Sproul, possibly Frk/Ouellet, Quine maybe even Dekeyser/Marchenko/Jensen. We could really load up this season depending on how our CHL guys do.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

If the Wings crash out of the playoffs, I am pretty sure Smith will be eligible to play in the post-season as well, depends on what they do with their roster on clear day. Because of the lockout it will be interesting to see what Grand Rapids does, normally it runs much closer to the NHL season.

Jarnkrok on the point of the first PP unit would be a huge thing for this team.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
AHL requires teams to submit rosters for playoffs. I'm sure theres some rule to prevent this from happening otherwise Edmonton players would of been in OKC last year

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
AHL requires teams to submit rosters for playoffs. I'm sure theres some rule to prevent this from happening otherwise Edmonton players would of been in OKC last year

Yes the big difference would be Smith doesn't have a high game total, I don't know that Brunner will be eligible. But Smith should absolutely be good to go. That is why the Leafs sent down Gardiner at one point last season to make sure he would be around for the farm team post-season run.

I still think the Wings make the playoffs so it is moot. But, if they don't I expect Smith to be the number 1 D-man in GR when they start their post-season run which would be a huge add. Jarnkrok will also likely get put on that roster like Almqvist did last year.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

Yes the big difference would be Smith doesn't have a high game total, I don't know that Brunner will be eligible. But Smith should absolutely be good to go. That is why the Leafs sent down Gardiner at one point last season to make sure he would be around for the farm team post-season run.

I still think the Wings make the playoffs so it is moot. But, if they don't I expect Smith to be the number 1 D-man in GR when they start their post-season run which would be a huge add. Jarnkrok will also likely get put on that roster like Almqvist did last year.

I could be wrong (Often am) but I don't think there is a # of games rule when it comes to Calder Cup Playoff eligibility.

There is/was a rule that says any player on an NHL roster at the trade deadline is ineligible for the AHL playoffs but this can be circumvented by sending down all your rookies (On paper only) the afternoon of the trade deadline and recalling them minutes after it passes.

That loophole might have been closed though because as you said, Edmonton probably would have taken advantage of it last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad