Callahan out after emergency appendectomy

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Uh, this guy does not speak for most of us Rangers fans. Most of us are fully aware of what Callahan brings.

0g in his 16 Playoff games with Tampa. I'm shivering in my boots. :sarcasm:

Trying to play cycle with other team's defenders.

No look passes into the crease.

Clearly Callahan is the one to fear, not the TKO line or Stamkos, or Drouin or Stralman/Hedman, but Callahan for sure.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Drouin and Namestnikov for sure.

Edit: Nevermind, he's on the 3rd line and that's where he should be. He's a good 3rd liner. I just think putting him with Stamkos will ruin his offensive production again like it did in round 1.

Callahan was brought in to play with guys like Filppula but he has been the better choice this season on Stamkos RW, since they are not separating the triplets and Drouin is on a short leash. I don't see that current top line lasting very long to be honest. Cally has been Cooper's yo yo this season, going up and down from 1st to 3rd line all season long, last time he got the promotion back up to the top line since the top line was dragging, he scored the GW goal. That was a line of Killorn - Stamkos - Drouin prior that was broken up and then added Callahan to get it going, so just remember that.

Stamkos had scored 43 goals this season playing mostly with Callahan on his wing, so yeah Stamkos' offense has been ruined. :help: We all know if Stamkos had a winger like MSL sure his numbers would be better, there is no question, but don't have that luxury anymore. Stamkos had struggled this season, was mostly on Stamkos, his line-mates had some of the effect but they did what they could.

Again, not saying Callahan is the best choice, but you throw Drouin up there next season, he will have his playmaker and possession guy and will open things up and get some creativity going. We've seen a little of the Drouin-Stamkos-Callahan line and it has looked very promising, but moving forward think Callahan's role should be with Killorn and Filppula. He is more suited with those guys. Those guys together play very well.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
People who think Callahan "doesn't perform" in the playoffs are full of bias. Sure, his offense is not what it should be, and he needs to be better in that regard, but he's still going to be a shot blocking machine and a nightmare on the forecheck. And this series is going to be personal for him.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I refuse to respect any ranger "fan" that doesn't think Cally is good. I personally think he is great, and i can see not agreeing with me there, but thinking he is anything less then good is simply not a respectable "opinion"

I am also sure Cally will raise his game against the Rangers and that is something I worry about if i am being fully honest.

I am looking forward to this series and expect it to be a lot better then against the caps and penguins. Both those teams were playing 5 goalies (not that their is anything wrong with it. it works wonders against the 2015 rangers. Yes i am aware the rangers played the same in 2011-2013) However i don't expect the lighting to try and hide behind a superstar or two. I expect both teams to be rolling 4 lines and working every shift. Its just as exciting as it is scary.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Callahan was brought in to play with guys like Filppula but he has been the better choice this season on Stamkos RW, since they are not separating the triplets and Drouin is on a short leash. I don't see that current top line lasting very long to be honest. Cally has been Cooper's yo yo this season, going up and down from 1st to 3rd line all season long, last time he got the promotion back up to the top line since the top line was dragging, he scored the GW goal. That was a line of Killorn - Stamkos - Drouin prior that was broken up and then added Callahan to get it going, so just remember that.

If he was bought in to play with skilled players, Stevie Y hasn't been doing his homework. He hasn't really meshed with skilled players during his NYR tenure.

I think it's only a matter of time before Drouin takes over. I think his skilled game would hurt the Rangers much more.

Stamkos had scored 43 goals this season playing mostly with Callahan on his wing, so yeah Stamkos' offense has been ruined. :help: We all know if Stamkos had a winger like MSL sure his numbers would be better, there is no question, but don't have that luxury anymore. Stamkos had struggled this season, was mostly on Stamkos, his line-mates had some of the effect but they did what they could.

Stamkos had a pretty poor season by his standards, so I'm not seeing how pointing to 43 goals equate a good season when that is a pretty low total for him considering his GPG. Also what about his PPG? Clearly down from the previous 5 seasons, where he was better than PPG all those seasons.

Again, not saying Callahan is the best choice, but you throw Drouin up there next season, he will have his playmaker and possession guy and will open things up and get some creativity going. We've seen a little of the Drouin-Stamkos-Callahan line and it has looked very promising, but moving forward think Callahan's role should be with Killorn and Filppula. He is more suited with those guys. Those guys together play very well.

IMO the best place to play Callahan is with Brian Boyle, another great 3rd line player. Those types of linemates suit his game better.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
People who think Callahan "doesn't perform" in the playoffs are full of bias. Sure, his offense is not what it should be, and he needs to be better in that regard, but he's still going to be a shot blocking machine and a nightmare on the forecheck. And this series is going to be personal for him.

How so? His offensive numbers fall off a cliff in the playoffs. Under multiple coaches with 2 different teams.

That is unacceptable for a top 6 player.

I would say the ones with bias are those who say he's been fine in the playoffs when he clearly hasn't...

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMO the best place to play Callahan is with Brian Boyle, another great 3rd line player. Those types of linemates suit his game better.

His best place is with Val Filppula to be honest. Flip has struggled this season because anytime Callahan moved up with Stamkos, Flip's line went to crap, and that is the honest truth ask any Tampa fan here, so you know I'm not being biased. Drouin should be replacing one of those guys on the top line, but with Cooper, who knows if that will even happen.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How so? His offensive numbers fall off a cliff in the playoffs. Under multiple coaches with 2 different teams.

That is unacceptable for a top 6 player.

I would say the ones with bias are those who say he's been fine in the playoffs when he clearly hasn't...

He had 6 goals in 20 games in the 2012 playoffs, 2013 he had a torn shoulder, still scored some key goals against the Bruins, 2014 had a goal disallowed by biased refs, and this year he set up the series winning goal against Detroit which was a huge heads up play, and not just one of those simple little passes. He is not the go to guy for offense, never was, never should be. He is the guy who is going to bring a physical presence to a series, and help shutdown the other team and doing everything on the ice. He has been clutch many times in the playoffs including this playoffs, and if he scores a couple of goals in this series, he would have done everything that has been asked of him.

You are also contradicting yourself, you called him a 3rd liner before. So now he is a top 6 player in your eyes? Make up your mind dude. Is he a Top 6 forward or Bottom 6 forward?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
He had 6 goals in 20 games in the 2012 playoffs, 2013 he had a torn shoulder, still scored some key goals against the Bruins, 2014 had a goal disallowed by biased refs, and this year he set up the series winning goal against Detroit which was a huge heads up play, and not just one of those simple little passes. He is not the go to guy for offense, never was, never should be. He is the guy who is going to bring a physical presence to a series, and help shutdown the other team and doing everything on the ice. He has been clutch many times in the playoffs including this playoffs, and if he scores a couple of goals in this series, he would have done everything that has been asked of him.

6g in 20 Games and he was crap in those playoffs and let the team down with his lack of offensive production. He had 3g in the first two rounds (first 16 games) alone. He couldn't create offense if his life depended on it. Stepan's game has only taken off since Callahan was removed from his line and now that he was able to play with more talented/skilled players like Kreider, Nash, Miller, Hagelin and MSL.

You are also contradicting yourself, you called him a 3rd liner before. So now he is a top 6 player in your eyes? Make up your mind dude. Is he a Top 6 forward or Bottom 6 forward?

He is a 3rd liner playing a top 6 role. Tampa pays him very handsomely as a top line player, so it's fair to assume they think of him as a top 6 guy?

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
If he was bought in to play with skilled players, Stevie Y hasn't been doing his homework. He hasn't really meshed with skilled players during his NYR tenure.

I think it's only a matter of time before Drouin takes over. I think his skilled game would hurt the Rangers much more.

Stamkos had a pretty poor season by his standards, so I'm not seeing how pointing to 43 goals equate a good season when that is a pretty low total for him considering his GPG. Also what about his PPG? Clearly down from the previous 5 seasons, where he was better than PPG all those seasons.

LOLWUT. You don't watch many Tampa games and that's obvious. Drouin is a liability out there defensively, his "skilled" game is not better than what Callahan brings to the table as a complete package right now.

Stamkos had a poor season by his performance, not so much standards. Scoring was down quite a bit across the entire league, not sure how much more you want from him...only Ovechkin scored more. Is he supposed to hit 60? Then you say Boyle would be better than having Callahan with him? That's absurd. It's pretty obvious you're just trying to make a case as to "how bad" Callahan is when in fact, every coach/GM would gladly take the guy on their team and he'd go on most teams top 6 without a doubt. You dont always put your highest skilled guys on the top 2 lines you do know that right? Its what works. Callahan gives, Callahan takes. Simple as that. Stamkos being such a defensive liability all year, Callahan being there helped our team tremendously.

But what do I know, MSL is so instrumental to the Rangers. :sarcasm:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
6g in 20 Games and he was crap in those playoffs and let the team down with his lack of offensive production. He had 3g in the first two rounds (first 16 games) alone. He couldn't create offense if his life depended on it. Stepan's game has only taken off since Callahan was removed from his line and now that he was able to play with more talented/skilled players like Kreider, Nash, Miller, Hagelin and MSL.

He is a 3rd liner playing a top 6 role. Tampa pays him very handsomely as a top line player, so it's fair to assume they think of him as a top 6 guy?

I'd call him a top nine guy. You can play him any of those three lines and you will get great effort from him. He scored over 20 this year and played well besides Stamkos. He has been a disappointment as far as goals go this playoffs but his play has been playoff style. Winning battles, great forechecking, blocking shots and made a key play to Garrison on the gwg in the game vs Detroit. Overall I can't complain about him. I'm not going to depend on him to score goals but I would like him to chip in offensively. Especially at his price. But he's giving it his all and that's better than many.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
LOLWUT. You don't watch many Tampa games and that's obvious. Drouin is a liability out there defensively, his "skilled" game is not better than what Callahan brings to the table as a complete package right now.

Stamkos had a poor season by his performance, not so much standards. Scoring was down quite a bit across the entire league, not sure how much more you want from him...only Ovechkin scored more. Is he supposed to hit 60? Then you say Boyle would be better than having Callahan with him? That's absurd. It's pretty obvious you're just trying to make a case as to "how bad" Callahan is when in fact, every coach/GM would gladly take the guy on their team and he'd go on most teams top 6 without a doubt. You dont always put your highest skilled guys on the top 2 lines you do know that right? Its what works. Callahan gives, Callahan takes. Simple as that. Stamkos being such a defensive liability all year, Callahan being there helped our team tremendously.

But what do I know, MSL is so instrumental to the Rangers. :sarcasm:

Callahan is a great shot blocker, but he is far from being good enough defensively to anchor a line IMO. Pretty much any line he's been with these playoffs he's been outshot. That's been the case during his NYR career post-2011 IMO. Stepan/Dubinsky carried the lines defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad