Callahan out after emergency appendectomy

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Told you guys, he'll be back sooner than we think.

Pretty sure they diagnosed the problem early and thus, it was a minor operation. His appendix didn't explose and ****. These guys are machines and they have the best doctors.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Well, in fairness....its not really an important one. I think if he can get the surgery done by noonish and get a good meal (preferably something with fiber), he should be all set by puck drop.

lol, my word. It's not the organ so much as it is with the cutting open and filling your body with anesthetics and gas. It's simply not possible to play, and if he actually does play shame on Tampa and their doctors.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada

Pretty sure they diagnosed the problem early and thus, it was a minor operation. His appendix didn't explose and ****. These guys are machines and they have the best doctors.

Come on, you can't believe this. Appendectomy is not a minor procedure. It's surgery, they're cutting you open and removing an organ from your body. He could be back for game 7, if there is one, most definitely. But he's not playing the same day, or the day after (not sure when he had it).

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Come on, you can't believe this. Appendectomy is not a minor procedure. It's surgery, they're cutting you open and removing an organ from your body. He could be back for game 7, if there is one, most definitely. But he's not playing the same day, or the day after (not sure when he had it).

Would not mind if he missed the rest of this series. Has struggled against Montreal after having an excellent series against Detroit. Rather he just rest up, and if Tampa does advance, he will be ready for that series.

RealCity

Nov 14, 2008
MontREAL
Well, in fairness....its not really an important one. I think if he can get the surgery done by noonish and get a good meal (preferably something with fiber), he should be all set by puck drop.

Having gone through an appendectomy a couple of years ago I can assure you he will not skate for at least 5 days.

The real risk of rushing back after laparoscopic surgery is getting an incisional hernia if you push yourself too hard.

Feel for the guy, timing sucks.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

I agree with you. Today would be a stretching it.

But I told from the beginning that I wouldn't rule out game 7 for him.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Would not mind if he missed the rest of this series. Has struggled against Montreal after having an excellent series against Detroit. Rather he just rest up, and if Tampa does advance, he will be ready for that series.

From a MTL perspective I thought he's been pretty effective for what he is. He's constantly physical on Subban and has been a pest. I get that you guys need him to score, but the other parts of his game have been good. I think he'll be missed, and his experience in the playoffs shouldn't be understated. Especially when you're coach is clearly leaning on player experience, evident by Morrow playing.

I agree with you. Today would be a stretching it.

But I told from the beginning that I wouldn't rule out game 7 for him.

Honestly, if he plays tonight there should be an investigation. Without proper time to heal you can tear stitches and have internal bleeding. It would be absolutely ridiculous for him to play tonight. Someone should lose their practice if he does, it's unsafe. Then again, people are playing with brain damage because "it's the playoffs" so I wouldn't be overly surprised. Disappointed and disgusted, yes. Surprised, :laugh:

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
From a MTL perspective I thought he's been pretty effective for what he is. He's constantly physical on Subban and has been a pest. I get that you guys need him to score, but the other parts of his game have been good. I think he'll be missed, and his experience in the playoffs shouldn't be understated. Especially when you're coach is clearly leaning on player experience, evident by Morrow playing.

His defense has been very solid and he has been doing everything else but scoring. We are like 24-3-0 when he scores a goal since he came to Tampa. That is why it is crucial for him to score, and create more offense. If he were to pot a couple of goals this series, no one would question or criticize him at all. But since he has not cashed in and other forwards on Tampa have been bi-polar, we are struggling to close out this series.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Patrick Roy played with an appendicitis back in 1994.

http://articles.philly.com/1994-04-26/sports/25861137_1_boston-goalie-jon-casey-montreal-coach-jacques-demers-montreal-goalie-patrick-roy

"The Boston Bruins have fired 102 shots at Montreal goalie Patrick Roy in their last two playoff games. They have three goals and two losses to show for it.

Roy, hospitalized with appendicitis until Saturday, stopped 60 shots and Kirk Muller scored with 17:18 gone in overtime as the visiting Canadiens defeated the Bruins, 2-1, last night and took a 3-2 lead in their Eastern Conference playoff series.

On Saturday in Game 4, Roy came out of the hospital to stop 39 shots and defeat the Bruins, 5-2..."

Except Roy didn't have surgery until after the series (not acute emergency). No way in hell Callahan sees another game this series.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Having gone through an appendectomy a couple of years ago I can assure you he will not skate for at least 5 days.

Jonathan Ericsson had an emergency appendectomy on a Wednesday (in May 2009) and was practicing with his team that Friday and playing on Saturday.

Clearly, time until readiness for skating varies from player to player and case to case.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Except Roy didn't have surgery until after the series (not acute emergency). No way in hell Callahan sees another game this series.

That is true. Roy had the antibiotics treatment only. His surgery was done after the playoffs. However in more recent times for the Habs, Paccioretty had an appendectomy and impressed everyone by returning only 8 days after. So I would be very surprised if Callahan returns this series

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
Reading about recovery time on the internet states you can assume normal activity after a few days but shouldn't do strenuous activities for 4-6 weeks. Knowing Callahan, maybe a couple weeks?

I needed only two weeks to recover

I would expect the recovery time of an NHL player surrounded by a bunch of doctors to be under two weeks

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

It is a minor procedure. It is called Pfoertner Operation in Germany, meaning even the doorman can do it. It takes not even an hour and the invasion is minimal. Still you are right, out for 24 hours at least. It is still a wound and needs a minimum of time to heal. playing a day after might be possible if the OP is in the morning and the game the next day at night. Wouldn't recommend it though, the wound can still break and it might leave some ugly scars.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Good news for the Rangers. Callahan takes away icetime from more talented players that can actually hurt the Rangers on the scoreboard.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Good news for the Rangers. Callahan takes away icetime from more talented players that can actually hurt the Rangers on the scoreboard.

Lol. Like who? Morrow or namestnikov? If stamkos killorn and flip are on line 1, Callahan is on line 3. That's pretty damn worrying if you're a ranger fan. I'd be more worried about my players who are being benched vs an effective player on the 3rd line.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It is a minor procedure. It is called Pfoertner Operation in Germany, meaning even the doorman can do it. It takes not even an hour and the invasion is minimal. Still you are right, out for 24 hours at least. It is still a wound and needs a minimum of time to heal. playing a day after might be possible if the OP is in the morning and the game the next day at night. Wouldn't recommend it though, the wound can still break and it might leave some ugly scars.

QFT I work as an RN and have patients come up post op from emergency surgery and they're usually out the door the next day. Heck, most of the time the surgeon already has a "advance diet as tolerated/discharge when cleared by attending physician" order. They round in the morning, say take it easy for a few weeks, write a prescription for painkillers and tell them they'll leave once they pass gas and hold down a regular diet.

Callahan is doing something amazing by already being on the ice for sure but I don't find it highly unusual.

Expect him ready for Game 1.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I would be surprised if he is in game 1 but not game 2 or 3.

As a ranger fan i was hoping he would be out longer. No hate towards him in any way. i just know what he can do.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg

Uh, this guy does not speak for most of us Rangers fans. Most of us are fully aware of what Callahan brings.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Lol. Like who? Morrow or namestnikov? If stamkos killorn and flip are on line 1, Callahan is on line 3. That's pretty damn worrying if you're a ranger fan. I'd be more worried about my players who are being benched vs an effective player on the 3rd line.

Just hope Coop keeps the lines like that..

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Uh, this guy does not speak for most of us Rangers fans. Most of us are fully aware of what Callahan brings.

I don't even need to chime in anymore to posts like above, a lot of you guys have been defending him and with good reason. You know he will bring it. Let's just hope for a good series.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Drouin and Namestnikov for sure.

Edit: Nevermind, he's on the 3rd line and that's where he should be. He's a good 3rd liner. I just think putting him with Stamkos will ruin his offensive production again like it did in round 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad