Salary Cap: Callahan and LTIR

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Hey folks, Leafs fan here coming in peace. I just wanted to check in on Callahan and your current contract situation.

Your roster appears to be in a gray area where:

a) If you sign your RFAs, you will use LTIR with Callahan on the roster; and
b) If you were to dump Callahan, you could still be in a position to be under the cap and accrue cap space.

By accruing cap space, you could build up a fund to spend at the deadline for a deep cup run.

Is that right?

I ask because with the Clarkson trade that the Leafs made, we’re all in on using LTIR — there is no turning back. If my assessment on your cap situation is correct, then there could be a deal to be made to take that contract with a sweetener.

So, am I right on that assessment? What would you give up to lose that contract? Can do the math for you on what the accumulated deadline spend would be if you give me a projected roster with your RFAs signed. Thanks!

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
Since no one else has answered you yet (not that I have an answer), I have seen some of us talking about moving Cally’s contract and others talking about the LTIR route. I def don’t understand the details, but people said that if we go LTIR then bonuses roll over to next season. I think it’d be better to move him (for the team, financially) but I would hate to do it (he’s a good guy and most of us love him).

I probably didn’t actually answer what you wanted to know (it even sounds like you already have a better understanding of the Bolts’ finances than I do), but I felt bad that there were like dozens of views and no responses.

(I sure use parentheses a lot)

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We are waiting on Point before we decide what to do with Callahan. If we bridge Point we might be able to get him in with the 5.5 we currently have so we don't need to move Callahan. If Point wants long term and more money then we need to move Callahan, going into LTIR relief with him isn't a good idea to me. As for what it would take I would say something like a 4th similar to what it took to move Clarkson.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Well looks like you guys are indeed going to try and accrue :laugh: Leafs missed the boat on trying to help you out on that. Lock ‘er up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad