Speculation: Call up Connor Ingram?

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
Horrible goalie play shakes the confidence of the skaters though. Defensemen over commit to stop any shot. Forwards do too much trying to score. The mentality of the skaters is fragile and breaks when they see one of those all too familiar soft goals. It really becomes a game of the chicken or the egg.

Boo hoo hoo. These are multi millionaire pros, not junior high players. Mentalities are fragile?

If this is anywhere true, no wonder we are so heartless these days. They don't need a coach, they need nannies to tuck them into bed after milk and cookies. No wonder Dallas, Boston, and the rest are kicking sand in our faces. Maybe this does explain why when a team starts coming at the Predadores (yes it's spelled correct) they go into the fetal position.

Reactions: Byrddog

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
A couple things to look at here rather than just throw out blustery macho man statements.

The Preds have the following stats:
  • 6th best goals for at 3.43 gfpg- That is a significant amount of goals. Has to be one of the highest in team history.
  • 4th in shots on goal at 34 sfpg
  • 13th in shooting percentage at 10.1% which is considered a sustainable rate of scoring if this number of shots continue.
  • 4th best in shots against at 29.5 sapg- Really good considering how bad the fanbase considers our team defense to be.
  • And here we go....28th in goals against at 3.17 gapg.
I know these are very basic stats and we all know them but when someone on the outside of the team and fanbase looks at them they are going to wonder how that last one can be that effing bad and the coaches haven't sat a goalie yet. We can talk all we want to about horrible defensive play and just needing to have a suck it up buttercup type attitude and work harder but the goalie play has been bottom of the league and the worst we've ever seen as Preds fans.

Reactions: Byrddog

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I'm a big defender that the goalie play hasn't been as bad as it seems (albeit still not good), but I don't really see what we have to lose by bringing Ingram up for a game and letting him get a shot. Especially in this little stretch before the All Star break I think it makes sense. I'd give Ingram the Buffalo game if it were me. The only concern I have with bringing him in long term is that having three goalies on the roster limits the available practice time they would get. However, if Ingram plays well enough to justify keeping him up than that's just something you have to deal with.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm just thinking that Rinne and Saros were entirely fine for us prior to this 41 game stretch. I also think there have been at least a few games sprinkled into these 41 where they've actually played really well and helped the team get points that maybe the team didn't deserve. Their stats are going to get hit hard by inconsistent efforts and all the weird team lapses our team has had - not that they aren't at fault as individuals also, that's not what I mean - just if Joey takes a game or period off, it's just 1 cog in the machine, or if FF9 tries to be too fancy it's just 1 more potential scoring chance botched - but if Saros or Rinne experience any similar malaise or letdown themselves it's going to burn the team and their statistics far more directly than it does for any skater.

That being the case, I still think they deserve the benefit of at least a quick try under the new coaching regime as well. If Hynes gets our defensive systems and PK sorted out, and if the whole team just gets a sharper focus and better preparation with a new voice calling the shots, perhaps the goalies' individual performances will rise with everybody else's?

If the coaching change hadn't happened, I'd say we were desperate enough to roll the dice on Ingram. And I'd still like to see Ingram get a look at some point... he has played well and earned consideration. But right now I'd only lean towards sliding that in on a day where one of the incumbents has the flu or something. At least until we see what we've got now that the coaching picture has changed.

And somewhere in the back of my mind I still have the consideration of the expansion draft. Right now, the world thinks of Ingram as a bit of a flake who got booted from TB for a 7th round pick. Maybe it's better for us if we don't put him back onto NHL radars prematurely? Today it sure looks like Seattle should have a lot to choose from in net. And will have a lot to choose from from us that is more appealing. But if Ingram really is that good, and this really is a lost year already, maybe it's better just to keep him flying under the radar as long as possible until we truly do need him when Rinne retires? That's some real chicken little thinking, I admit - it's not something that I'm sold on or think of as a real driving consideration, just a little tidbit of a background musing!

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
A couple things to look at here rather than just throw out blustery macho man statements.

The Preds have the following stats:
  • 6th best goals for at 3.43 gfpg- That is a significant amount of goals. Has to be one of the highest in team history.
  • 4th in shots on goal at 34 sfpg
  • 13th in shooting percentage at 10.1% which is considered a sustainable rate of scoring if this number of shots continue.
  • 4th best in shots against at 29.5 sapg- Really good considering how bad the fanbase considers our team defense to be.
  • And here we go....28th in goals against at 3.17 gapg.
I know these are very basic stats and we all know them but when someone on the outside of the team and fanbase looks at them they are going to wonder how that last one can be that effing bad and the coaches haven't sat a goalie yet. We can talk all we want to about horrible defensive play and just needing to have a suck it up buttercup type attitude and work harder but the goalie play has been bottom of the league and the worst we've ever seen as Preds fans.
Basic stats tell you a lot most advanced stats were developed to cover up shortcomings from individual players and teams. 6th best in GF and 28th in GA points to one thing the team is not winning close games while winning some games by two three or four goals skewing the results. This is when you must go back to basics and see the team has 19 wins and 23 losses the loser point losses are still losses in fact they are an addition of 7 more 1 goal losses. It is a reason that ROW is the first tie breaker in teams tied in points or the results would be even more skewed by shoot outs. Yes I am not a fan of the OT or shootout any longer it was exciting for a while but it just muddles how successful a team really is.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
And somewhere in the back of my mind I still have the consideration of the expansion draft. Right now, the world thinks of Ingram as a bit of a flake who got booted from TB for a 7th round pick. Maybe it's better for us if we don't put him back onto NHL radars prematurely? Today it sure looks like Seattle should have a lot to choose from in net. And will have a lot to choose from from us that is more appealing. But if Ingram really is that good, and this really is a lost year already, maybe it's better just to keep him flying under the radar as long as possible until we truly do need him when Rinne retires? That's some real chicken little thinking, I admit - it's not something that I'm sold on or think of as a real driving consideration, just a little tidbit of a background musing!
I'm going to guess that if he continues this level of play for the next season and a half Seattle will know about him whether he's here helping the Preds or winning 2 Calders in the AHL. If he doesn't continue this level of play none of this matters anyway.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Basic stats tell you a lot most advanced stats were developed to cover up shortcomings from individual players and teams. 6th best in GF and 28th in GA points to one thing the team is not winning close games while winning some games by two three or four goals skewing the results. This is when you must go back to basics and see the team has 19 wins and 23 losses the loser point losses are still losses in fact they are an addition of 7 more 1 goal losses. It is a reason that ROW is the first tie breaker in teams tied in points or the results would be even more skewed by shoot outs. Yes I am not a fan of the OT or shootout any longer it was exciting for a while but it just muddles how successful a team really is.
And how many of those games a soft goal or two? Obviously not all but that is a factor.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
And how many of those games a soft goal or two? Obviously not all but that is a factor.
Sure it is but how many good hockey plays have the goalies stopped as well. I know it does not seem like many but both have made some goal saving stops that should not have been stopped. I do not like to call it puck luck but sometimes there is not a better word. The tenders have to stop more good chances than the soft ones let in. If the softies occur more and more often then changing tenders is the only option.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm going to guess that if he continues this level of play for the next season and a half Seattle will know about him whether he's here helping the Preds or winning 2 Calders in the AHL. If he doesn't continue this level of play none of this matters anyway.
There might be a difference though between:

A) Having great stats on Milwaukee - an AHL Calder contender... where minor league journeyman Troy Grosenick has identical stats.

and

B) Having great stats on Milawukee - plus having some recalls to Nashville where he also proved he could handle NHL shooters and didn't look out of place.

If we leave him at A), as good as he has done, there are 10 other AHL goalies with the same numbers. If we give him the cameo and he looks good in the show... well, that should bump him a notch above some of the others who can't say that.

Obviously NHL scouts will be looking at other things too, like actually scouting his goaltending skills and potential by watching him play. In that area, he might already be off the radar no matter what we do with him, I don't profess to know... the fact we got him so cheap suggests he's not particularly highly regarded in those areas anyway.

Or of course if he just did go full Binnington with a promotion, that'd erase the concern entirely and we'd just protect him in expansion. I guess I'm not that much of an optimist. :)

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Preds haven’t played adequate defense in a long while. Their history is that regardless of defensive lapses, Pekka was there to save the day with spectacular goaltending. Then by playoffs he was worn out. Now he’s just ordinary by aging and needs the stouter and consistent D in front of him like many outstanding goalies have gotten. He isn’t getting it. Lavy had a different philosophy.
So, Yes the goaltending is worse and the type of D being played almost requires a goalie superstar.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Boo hoo hoo. These are multi millionaire pros, not junior high players. Mentalities are fragile?

If this is anywhere true, no wonder we are so heartless these days. They don't need a coach, they need nannies to tuck them into bed after milk and cookies. No wonder Dallas, Boston, and the rest are kicking sand in our faces. Maybe this does explain why when a team starts coming at the Predadores (yes it's spelled correct) they go into the fetal position.
Today I discovered that possession of money apparently confers immunity to the condition of being human.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
There might be a difference though between:

A) Having great stats on Milwaukee - an AHL Calder contender... where minor league journeyman Troy Grosenick has identical stats.

and

B) Having great stats on Milawukee - plus having some recalls to Nashville where he also proved he could handle NHL shooters and didn't look out of place.

If we leave him at A), as good as he has done, there are 10 other AHL goalies with the same numbers. If we give him the cameo and he looks good in the show... well, that should bump him a notch above some of the others who can't say that.

Obviously NHL scouts will be looking at other things too, like actually scouting his goaltending skills and potential by watching him play. In that area, he might already be off the radar no matter what we do with him, I don't profess to know... the fact we got him so cheap suggests he's not particularly highly regarded in those areas anyway.

Or of course if he just did go full Binnington with a promotion, that'd erase the concern entirely and we'd just protect him in expansion. I guess I'm not that much of an optimist. :)

I disagree.

By GAA, Troy is third with 2.09 and AHL All-Star Ingram is fourth with 2.11. The #5 AHL goalie has a 2.22 GAA and the #10 goalie has a 2.42 GAA.

TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League

I have seen an Islanders scout twice at Admirals home games this season. I have no idea of who he was scouting.

I believe Ingram had a butt head for a coach and / or GM, but I could be wrong as I have no first hand information.

There was a coach on the USA Track Team that didn't like Flo-Jo's finger nails. The coach said that she would never make the Olympic team with those. After 29 years, her Olympic record in the 100 meters still stands. She won 3 Golds and 2 Silver medals in the Olympics.

Trenin flourished in Milwaukee after Evason wasn't the head coach for the Admirals. I heard that Trenin is in the NHL now.

Last edited:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I disagree.

By GAA, Troy is third with 2.09 and AHL All-Star Ingram is fourth with 2.11. The #5 AHL goalie has a 2.22 GAA and the #10 goalie has a 2.42 GAA.

I have seen an Islanders scout twice at Admirals home games this season. I have no idea of who he was scouting.

I believe Ingram had a butt head for a coach and / or GM, but I could be wrong as I have no first hand information.

There was a coach on the USA Track Team that didn't like Flo-Jo's finger nails. The coach said that she would never make the Olympic team with those. After 29 years, her Olympic record in the 100 meters still stands. She won 3 Golds and 2 Silver medals in the Olympics.

Trenin flourished in Milwaukee after Evason wasn't the head coach for the Admirals. I heard that Trenin is in the NHL now.
Ingram had some immaturity issues in the Tampa organization. There is not doubt the guy has the skills he did well in Syracuse and is doing well in Milwaukee. It would be best to leave him in Milwaukee another year since he has less than 80 games in the AHL now and is just 22. Pekka had almost double the number of games in the AHL and landed the starting job here when he was 24. Rushing goaltenders more often than not ends in disaster. Sarro's if allowed to stay two more years in the AHL could have well been ready now to start and do well.

After an injury in Syracuse Ingram came back and won 7 of 10 and there was some issue that happened that caused him to be healthy scratched for three games. He added fuel to the fire by posting selfies at Disney implying he was having a great time while sitting. This got him sent to the AHL the first time. When he started last year in Syracuse it was pretty much his last chance something happened again and he was sent back down after playing just 22 games in Syracuse he played 13 in Orlando so he only played 35 games all of last year. ANd the Tampa organization gave up on him. Now maybe the change of teams will set him straight but it is only going to make him better to stay in the AHL for the rest of this season and next.

With that said it may not be a bad idea to bring him up for a few games later this season. It would no doubt show him the organization has faith in him and want him for the long haul.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I disagree.

Lol, I don't even know what you are disagreeing about. :) :thumbu:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Lol, I don't even know what you are disagreeing about. :) :thumbu:

The difference between Ingram and the #11 goalie in the AHL is about 1/3 of a goal per game, enough to make a difference between a loss and a win in those 3 games. I will take the extra win, thank you!

Milwaukee 26-7-4-2 with 22 ROW and 58 points after the recent losing streak with 6-3-1-0 in their last 10 games.

Nashville 21-16-7 with 20 ROW and 49 points with 5-4-1 in their last 10 games.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The difference between Ingram and the #11 goalie in the AHL is about 1/3 of a goal per game, enough to make a difference between a loss and a win in those 3 games. I will take the extra win, thank you!

Milwaukee 26-7-4-2 with 22 ROW and 58 points after the recent losing streak with 6-3-1-0 in their last 10 games.

Nashville 21-16-7 with 20 ROW and 49 points with 5-4-1 in their last 10 games.
They aren't all on teams as good as Milwaukee, though. There are definitely 10 goalies in the AHL doing as well as Ingram. No knock on Ingram.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Management going to wait until next season or wait until Preds fall more this season to give Ingram the call?

No rush but at the same time the Preds goaltending tandem is still lacking, not all their fault as it's a team game I know.

Ingram shining in Milwaukee at the moment.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Management going to wait until next season or wait until Preds fall more this season to give Ingram the call?

No rush but at the same time the Preds goaltending tandem is still lacking, not all their fault as it's a team game I know.

Ingram shining in Milwaukee at the moment.
They are going to live and die by Rinne/Saros. Only way Ingram comes up is to warm the bench if one of the two incumbents is sick or injured. Or maybe for a late-season cameo if/when the Preds are out of the race, just as a little reward. The ship has sailed on an Ingram hail mary for this season.

And anyway, I don't think Saros has been too bad lately. He was .911 in January and .935 in February. They should just be riding Saros the rest of the way.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
They are going to live and die by Rinne/Saros. Only way Ingram comes up is to warm the bench if one of the two incumbents is sick or injured. Or maybe for a late-season cameo if/when the Preds are out of the race, just as a little reward. The ship has sailed on an Ingram hail mary for this season.

And anyway, I don't think Saros has been too bad lately. He was .911 in January and .935 in February. They should just be riding Saros the rest of the way.
Giving Pekka the start against Edmonton was a little upsetting with the way Saros was playing of late. Even before the first goal I was saying it was a mistake to play Pekka. Pekka has been so good for us a long time but it’s time for him to only play in back to backs.

Reactions: NNCbama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->