Call out thread! 4m+/year and a no trade clause and we traded Ladd???!!!!

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
My line in the sand is Maurice being hired again.

I swear I'm out.

The amazing thing is that there are people out there who think that would be a good thing (Mo returning, not you leaving)

So here's my fear - this generation of players has largely not done well as GMs. Yzerman might be up for debate, but Nieuwendyk was an unmitigated failure. Beyond that, in the past Ronnie has expressed no interest in being the GM - if y'all recall that's why he first went from being an assistant GM to an assistant coach. Who's to say that his interest in becoming a GM has increased since then, especially if he knows the ship needs to be righted after Rutherford peaces out? So that's a couple potential worries I have about Francis.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don't want Francis, and he's been my hero since I was a kid. I'd accept it if it happened though. I'd want an outside candidate, but I think we all know the chances of that happening.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Rutherford is 64. How does his age compare to other GMs around the league? I don't see him ready to retire anytime soon and let's be honest, he isn't being forced out.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I think if it ever can stay on the ice, Skinner-Lindholm-Ruutu is going to be a very good line.

djboos22

Aho (insert pun)
Jan 17, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
When he was traded, Andrew Ladd had scored 50 points in 137 games.

We didn't trade Ladd the first line wing/ power forward/ captain combination that he is today. We traded a struggling player with "potential".

In other words, if JR should be blamed for trading Ladd, can we praise him for getting our reigning leading goal scorer for an AHL grinder?

I for one did not think he was going to be the future captain of the Jets or any team. He had shown to be a great leader though. Especially with the hustle play he had last night to help tie the game against the Blues.

I would love him on our team.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
I think if it ever can stay on the ice, Skinner-Lindholm-Ruutu is going to be a very good line.

I'd rather see Skinner, Lindholm and Tlusty put on a line and kept there for a while. Tlusty is the type of player that on paper, seems like exactly what Skinner and Lindholm need. Sorry, but Ruutu is about as productive as Westgarth right now.

Rutherford seems a LOT older than 64. I would have guessed at least 72.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

I agree. Skinner really makes that line go. Without him, they're kind of a black hole.

Gerbe // Eric // Semin
Tlusty // Jordan // Ugh
Skinner // Lindholm // Ruutu
Dwyer // Nash // Dvorak

Bowman, Sutter, Westgarth

The lack of a 2nd line RW is pretty glaring though. Dwyer is solid defensively and quick, but he generates nothing. I'm not sure I like anyone else there. I wouldn't mind dangling Rask for help. Look down the middle: where does he fit longterm? And if Gerbe pans out, a big if to be sure, the wings are fairly crowded as well.

It'd have to be a player that made sense financially too. A deal probably won't happen, but it might be something to explore, at the very least.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Rutherford is 64. How does his age compare to other GMs around the league? I don't see him ready to retire anytime soon and let's be honest, he isn't being forced out.

Here you go

Team | GM | Age | Year Hired
New Jersey|Lou Lamoriello|71|1987
New York Rangers|Glen Sather|70|2000
Ottawa|Bryan Murray|70|2007
Carolina | Jim Rutherford | 64 | 1994
Nashville|David Poile|63|1998
Florida|Dale Tallon|62|2010
Anaheim|Bob Murray|58|2008
Detroit|Ken Holland|57|1997
Philadelphia|Paul Holmgren|57|2006
San Jose|Doug Wilson|56|2003
Buffalo|Darcy Regier|55|1997
Dallas|Jim Nill|55|2013
Edmonton|Craig MacTavish|55|2013
Los Angeles|Dean Lombardi|55|2006
Phoenix|Don Maloney|55|2007
Washington|George McPhee|55|1997
Vancouver|Mike Gillis|54|2008
Calgary|Jay Feaster|51|2010
Pittsburgh|Ray Shero|51|2006
Boston|Peter Chiarelli|49|2006
St. Louis|Doug Armstrong|49|2010
Montreal|Marc Bergevin|48|2012
Tampa Bay|Steve Yzerman|48|2010
Columbus|Jarmo Kekäläinen|47|2013
Toronto|Dave Nonis|47|2013
Minnesota|Chuck Fletcher|46|2009
New York Islanders|Garth Snow|44|2006
Colorado|Greg Sherman|43|2009
Winnipeg|Kevin Cheveldayoff|43|2011
Chicago|Stan Bowman|40|2009

So he's the 4th oldest GM at his age and is also the second longest tenured. The average NHL GM is about 54 years old, so he's about ten years older than average and the average NHL GM was hired between 2005 and 2006, so he's got roughly 11-12 years on the job compared to the average NHL GM.

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010
I agree. Skinner really makes that line go. Without him, they're kind of a black hole.

Gerbe // Eric // Semin
Tlusty // Jordan // Ugh
Skinner // Lindholm // Ruutu
Dwyer // Nash // Dvorak

Bowman, Sutter, Westgarth

The lack of a 2nd line RW is pretty glaring though. Dwyer is solid defensively and quick, but he generates nothing. I'm not sure I like anyone else there. I wouldn't mind dangling Rask for help. Look down the middle: where does he fit longterm? And if Gerbe pans out, a big if to be sure, the wings are fairly crowded as well.

It'd have to be a player that made sense financially too. A deal probably won't happen, but it might be something to explore, at the very least.

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

This team's biggest problem, IMO.

Love those lines

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Boyes would have fit in nicely as 2nd line RW when he was free for the taking. Or Mason Raymond as well.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Some available options still out there: Simon Gagne, Guillime Latendresse, Milan Hedjuk, Peter Mueller.

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010
Boyes would have been great; apparently he's on the trade block now.. Raymond would have been PERFECT. I have no idea why we weren't in the running for him..maybe we were.. who knows.

Mueller is an interesting option...he's playing overseas right now, I think.

Bottom line - the Canes HAVE to do something with that second line.. Try Lindholm up there.. DO SOMETHING.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I believe Raymond only wanted to play in Canada. I also believe I learned that here on these boards, so it may not be 100% true.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
A second line right wing that is both an excellent playmaker and is excellent defensively is probably this teams biggest need.

The problem is that we are too thin at every position to afford to give anything of consequence.

So a 3rd for Brad Boyes is the most likely answer, sadly.

On the other hand, if, say, Riley Nash can develop into a defensive stalwart, then we can chain him to the ass of the teams most dangerous offensive player and to the hip of Patrick Dwyer. We could finally put Skinner with Jordan and expect great things offensively. So a third line defensive center would also help, if only to spread the defensive responsibility.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think the teams biggest need is for the star players to start playing like star players. We get so focused on the optimal line mates, but in reality, until the Canes star forwards start playing like they can and should, adding another RW to the mix won't mean much at all.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah, I thought grabbing Jordan and Semin was supposed to "make Eric happy" and hopefully keep him from starting years slowly.

Instead, we've still got Half-year Eric, but have added two other talented when they feel like it forwards at twice the cost. Yay!

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'm not excusing the lackluster scoring. But what other teams have a player of the caliber of Patrick Dwyer in their top 6?

I'm not disagreeing with the sentiment that it would be good to have an upgrade of Patrick Dwyer in the top 6. I'd like to see that too, I just don't think it's as big of a deal as others do or the team's biggest problem, biggest need as some have stated. As I mentioned earlier, unless the Canes star players start performing, improving on that position and/or mixing up lines won't have that much of an impact on how the team does.

In order to get the kind of player people want on the 2nd line, that player will have to come from either our own farm system (no obvious candidates have stepped up yet), finding someone off the scrap heap (who probably won't be much better), or making a trade. A trade will likely cost a lot in terms of picks and prospects and if our key guys don't start performing, it's a waste to spend the picks/prospects trying to fill that hole.

Honestly, I'd rather start trying some of the guys in the AHL in that slot (or give Ruutu an extended look) and see if any of them can stick rather than making a trade.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
DOOOOM AND GLOOOM!!!!!

how people forget the games before Khudo and Ward went down......

Are you only reading a few of the posts when you say "DOOOOM and GLOOOM"? The OP admitted he had a few drinks and was over the top with the initial post. After that, it seems like a lot of rational discussion on the past few pages talking about line-ups, GM, team needs, etc. Hardly gloom and doom.

And it hasn't been goalie play that has been the concern. The Canes have scored 4 goals in their last 3 games. Having Ward and Khodobin back isn't really going to affect that. If the team was playing great, but the goalie was letting them down, I'd agree with your point, but that hasn't been the case.

golfpro827

Jun 30, 2013
Raleigh, NC
And it hasn't been goalie play that has been the concern. The Canes have scored 4 goals in their last 3 games. Having Ward and Khodobin back isn't really going to affect that. If the team was playing great, but the goalie was letting them down, I'd agree with your point, but that hasn't been the case.

While I 100% agree the reason for this 3 game skid isn't the goalie and clearly is the scoring, I would also point out that this team seems to play a lot less aggressive with Peters in net, especially the dmen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad