Call out thread! 4m+/year and a no trade clause and we traded Ladd???!!!!

bluedevil58*

What is going on with this guy? He used to be my favorite player. He used to hit and put up respectable numbers. But now...something has happened and I do not know what. He is hands down the slowest forward on our team. I think even Westgarth is faster and is more noticeable that our fellow Finn.

Don't even get me started in his ability to stay healthy! This contract is really hurting our team. I wish we had Ladd. What say you? Discuss!

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
When he was traded, Andrew Ladd had scored 50 points in 137 games.

We didn't trade Ladd the first line wing/ power forward/ captain combination that he is today. We traded a struggling player with "potential".

In other words, if JR should be blamed for trading Ladd, can we praise him for getting our reigning leading goal scorer for an AHL grinder?

bluedevil58*

That's weak Ladd was only utilized on the 4th line in a grinding role.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
And if he had shown anything of what he was going to become, I doubt he would have been traded for Tuomo Ruutu....

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
When he was traded, Andrew Ladd had scored 50 points in 137 games.
It's not like Ruutu was doing anything, either. Ladd outproduced Ruutu that season despite getting significantly less ice time and being three years younger.

But that wasn't the real mistake. The real mistake was not trading Ruutu at the deadline two seasons ago and instead committing 4.75M/yr for four years to a guy who was producing less than .5PPG and had been significantly less physical than in years past. His skating was abysmal and it was obvious he was slowing down. Two years and two totally surprising, shocking injuries later and he looks barely NHL caliber.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Hey guys, stahp picking on Rutuu. Tripp says we have to wait at least 20 games before we say he sucks. STAHP

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
Section 308
I forgot the exact quote...something like it's going to take a couple of months for Ruutu to find his hands? I think that belongs in the Trippisms thread.

I would have thrown my glass at the television when he said that, if it didn't still have some beer in it.

****ing excuses with the dead weight on this team (not just Ruutu)

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
For some reason I had this premonition that floated to my head of us trading Ruutu to the CBJs for Matt Calvert. I'd do it to get rid of that negative-value contract. Ain't no way Columbus would do the same.

But yeah Ruutu is blegh this season.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Ruutu is a waste of a roster spot. And that NTC, JR should be fired for that, and that alone!

I'd take Ladd back in a heartbeat. Heck, I'd throw in Gleason and Westgarth if needed!

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
What is going on with this guy? He used to be my favorite player. He used to hit and put up respectable numbers. But now...something has happened and I do not know what. He is hands down the slowest forward on our team. I think even Westgarth is faster and is more noticeable that our fellow Finn.

Don't even get me started in his ability to stay healthy! This contract is really hurting our team. I wish we had Ladd. What say you? Discuss!

Why does EVERY thread you start have to be some sort of "call out", "rage", "FIRE JR!" thread?

It's very tedious...kill me now...

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
He's the lowest energy guy on the team by far, and has been for some time. I can't even picture his skating stride, he does so little of it. He's a great glider tho. He glides around really well when he's out thee waiting for something to happen. Now, if only gliding around in big looping glides was essential to winning games, he'd be awesome.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Funny, I was about to start a "time for JR to step down" thread myself after getting home from this one. It's just time, and while the guy makes some good trades and good signings when's the last time we've won a big signing, or re-signed one of his guys for appropriate value? I won't get on JR TOO much, for the signings, that's the one thing he did fairly right this offseason.

But fact of the matter is, basically since the Cup season he's screwed the pooch on his big trades. The last big one we were decidedly on the winning end of is the Weight trade. Since then? Ladd for Ruutu (huge loss), Johnson for Gleason (poor at best), and Sutter + 1st for J Staal. The Tlusty trade was a nice one, but that's the only semi-major trade we've won recently.

And with the way some of our drafts have blown up on us, either by failure in development or just simple fail level picks, I'd have a lot more faith in someone else taking over the ship for the rest of the rebuild. It's time for Francis to make the next step in his career and be our GM.

PaulProteus

****ing amaxing dman
Feb 6, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Funny, I was about to start a "time for JR to step down" thread myself after getting home from this one. It's just time, and while the guy makes some good trades and good signings when's the last time we've won a big signing, or re-signed one of his guys for appropriate value? I won't get on JR TOO much, for the signings, that's the one thing he did fairly right this offseason.

But fact of the matter is, basically since the Cup season he's screwed the pooch on his big trades. The last big one we were decidedly on the winning end of is the Weight trade. Since then? Ladd for Ruutu (huge loss), Johnson for Gleason (poor at best), and Sutter + 1st for J Staal. The Tlusty trade was a nice one, but that's the only semi-major trade we've won recently.

And with the way some of our drafts have blown up on us, either by failure in development or just simple fail level picks, I'd have a lot more faith in someone else taking over the ship for the rest of the rebuild. It's time for Francis to make the next step in his career and be our GM.

Total 2nd on this one.

We can ***** and moan about all of the dead weight we're skating every night and all the ink that has been spilled on horrible contracts, but it's time to do what nearly any professional sports franchise would do at this point: find JR an office with a window somewhere that he's not getting anywhere near the draft or negotiating table, or purchase him a lifetime membership to his favorite golf course.

It's time. Boy, is it ever.

Zezima

Jul 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
It's not like Ruutu was doing anything, either. Ladd outproduced Ruutu that season despite getting significantly less ice time and being three years younger.

But that wasn't the real mistake. The real mistake was not trading Ruutu at the deadline two seasons ago and instead committing 4.75M/yr for four years to a guy who was producing less than .5PPG and had been significantly less physical than in years past. His skating was abysmal and it was obvious he was slowing down. Two years and two totally surprising, shocking injuries later and he looks barely NHL caliber.

Yep. This and the resigning of Gleason around the same time were JR's final nails in the coffin for me.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
What really chapped my ass about that Ruutu deal was it was essentially the exact same deal that they refused to give to Cole that same offseason. I didn't think Cole was worth that deal either but Ruutu sure as hell wasn't, and has since shown to be barely able to even play an NHL game. Cole may not have lit the world on fire since (except for that one year in MTL) but at least he's actually, you know, playing in games.

Frank Booth239*

I hate to say, it, because Ruutu has been one of my favorite players, probably because he was the only forward on the team who'd bother delivering a real bodycheck, but yeah...time to go.

I was at the game last night- he really was as slow as Westgarth. And seemed desperate. He kept banging his stick on the ice asking for a pass at inappropriate times- like when nobody else had the puck or he was in a position where he really didn't need to have the puck.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
another bash Tuomo Ruutu thread hey? I have always liked the guy and his game. he is now old and banged up. not very effective anymore. his career has/is winding down. end of story. it's up to JR to do something about it. end of the sequel. no use ranting about it. do you ever hear me rant about anything at all? :sarcasm: jeez!

golfpro827

Jun 30, 2013
Raleigh, NC
The trade absolutely did not work out.

I don't think anyone is denying that.

But if you are going to call out JR for this trade, it's only fair to mention the many that did work out well in our favor.

(ignoring random draft picks or players that didn't really matter)

Premieu for Brind'Amor
Danny Markov for Justin Williams
Wade Brookbank and Josef Melichar for Jussi Jokinen
Philip Paradis for Jiri Tlusty
Kevyn Adams for Denis Sidenberg

Overall, JR's trade record well speaks for itself. The issue I have with Bluedevil and his posts are he fails to see both sides. While I agree with a lot of what he says, it's just irresponsible to not look at the big picture.

golfpro827

Jun 30, 2013
Raleigh, NC
That's weak Ladd was only utilized on the 4th line in a grinding role.

And then you post comments like this that are flat out wrong.

The 2006 cup team the bottom line was Adams Adams LaRose.

He was playing, for the most part, top 6 in that run. Until Weight got hurt and Cole replaced him, this was the standard lines:

Williams Staal Stillman
Whitney Brind'Amor Ladd
Weight Cullen Recchi
Adams Adams LaRose

And even during the season, he was typically on the third line with Cole bumped into the top 6.

I'm not in anyway saying that I don't agree, but like I stated above, your points are very poorly defended.

golfpro827

Jun 30, 2013
Raleigh, NC

Most of the trades I listed above have happened since the Cup.

I'm slowly become less Pro JR, but he''s not this end all terrible GM like people make him out to be.

If anything, the biggest defense of JR has to be until this year, he hasn't had the money he needed to do what he truly thought was best. He locked in Staal, Ward and Skinner and without those deals (regardless of the outcome), he would have been seen as a place like Atlanta that drafts them and lets them go.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
And then you post comments like this that are flat out wrong.

The 2006 cup team the bottom line was Adams Adams LaRose.

He was playing, for the most part, top 6 in that run. Until Weight got hurt and Cole replaced him, this was the standard lines:

Williams Staal Stillman
Whitney Brind'Amor Ladd
Weight Cullen Recchi
Adams Adams LaRose

And even during the season, he was typically on the third line with Cole bumped into the top 6.

I'm not in anyway saying that I don't agree, but like I stated above, your points are very poorly defended.
Nooooooo.

It was Cullen-Staal-Recchi, Stillman-Brind'amour-Williams and Whitney-Weight-Ladd for the most part in the playoffs. I honestly can't recall them using those lines you listed even once, outside of the fourth. Ladd played 9 minutes a game in the playoffs.

And Ladd did the vast majority of his time here on the 3rd and 4th lines. He averaged ~11 minutes a game in each of his first three seasons. That's not top six ice time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->