GDT: Call of the Wild 2pm

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
If the sharks can win without 4 of their top 5 players now, why did they lose so much with everyone in? This team is absurd...
Someone has to suck in that locker room? Maybe the EK's or something haha. But seriously it is somewhat annoying

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
Suomela on radio postgame interview:

- I think we played really good today, like in the D zone was absolutely great, zero goals against, it's always good, of course when big guys is out of the lineup, young guys and the other guys have to step up and I think we did that today
- [how much do you tell the other young players that it's a big opportunity?] I think we speak a lot, like almost every day, before every game, really good opportunity for us and we have to show what we got
- [on the GWG] I was actually waiting for like 2 on 1, pass to Gambs, but he was little bit late so I think Burnzie's best option and he have a good shot, and Gambs did that in the net, so that was really huge goal for us and great win

Gambrell on TV postgame interview:

- [did you play defensively sound / limit shots to perimeter as coach said pregame?] yeah, I think for the most part we did exactly that, Joner was great in net, he was a wall back there for us, we did our best to help him out, and I think we did that pretty well
- [on his goal] I think we had 'em in their zone for a bit, cycling the puck around, you know Burnzie's gonna shoot so just try to get to the net, and I got a lucky bounce
- [on opportunity to play more w/ players out] there's opportunity there and you have to take advantage of that when that comes, a lot of guys are getting a lot of opportunity right now and taking advantage of it and it seems that everyone's buying in here, it's been fun the past few games

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Is that the first shutout of the year?

Vlasic was excellent in a gritty win! Jones was pretty good, but Randy mentioned a play where he was 'a bit slow to get up' that actually took an eternity. He may have earned another game.

Reactions: themelkman

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Hell of a game by Jones. He was squaring up well and coming out of the crease frequently to challenge. Maybe he’s getting a little bit of his confidence back.

Also, there are a couple of flaws to Boughner’s system but I like how he always rolls his lines no matter the situation and that he legit trusts his young guys. It shows the way these guys bust their ass every shift knowing they have an actual shot at more ice time unlike Pete who would bench rookies in the 3rd period of a close game for no reason. Jumbo has looked reborn lately as well.

No matter what happens with Boughner after this season, the experience the young guys on D and F are getting up in the NHL will be invaluable going into next year.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
They very likely aren't making the playoffs, but this game was a huge win going forward. They could have easily phoned it in with all the missing regulars, lack of rest, travel etc, but they didn't.

Reactions: WSS11 and Sandisfan

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Hell of a game by Jones. He was squaring up well and coming out of the crease frequently to challenge. Maybe he’s getting a little bit of his confidence back.

Also, there are a couple of flaws to Boughner’s system but I like how he always rolls his lines no matter the situation and that he legit trusts his young guys. It shows the way these guys bust their ass every shift knowing they have an actual shot at more ice time unlike Pete who would bench rookies in the 3rd period of a close game for no reason. Jumbo has looked reborn lately as well.

No matter what happens with Boughner after this season, the experience the young guys on D and F are getting up in the NHL will be invaluable going into next year.
I don't mind Boughner.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
They very likely aren't making the playoffs, but this game was a huge win going forward. They could have easily phoned it in with all the missing regulars, lack of rest, travel etc, but they didn't.
Without a doubt. I expected them to lose by 5 goals. It was pretty shocking they won.

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Gambrel is built like a teenager. I think he might end up being much more effective once he gets his man body. What does he weight, 160lbs? I'm really starting to love True though. His line keeps scoring.
I don't mind Boughner.
If he gets this roster into the playoffs is he the Jack Adams winner? I'm thinking yes.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I can't overstate how impressed I've been with Alexander True. It seems like 2-3 times a game he is the reason the shift is spent in the offensive zone instead of the other two.

Reactions: hockeyCEO and WSS11

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
I can't overstate how impressed I've been with Alexander True. It seems like 2-3 times a game he is the reason the shift is spent in the offensive zone instead of the other two.

He was the same way with the Cuda. He is the perfect bottom 6 center. True breaks up plays, uses his body, and gets the puck moving in the right direction. I've been a huge fan of his game and I hope he sticks. Would love to see him on the PP. He's a solid net front presence there.

Reactions: hockeyCEO

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
He was the same way with the Cuda. He is the perfect bottom 6 center. True breaks up plays, uses his body, and gets the puck moving in the right direction. I've been a huge fan of his game and I hope he sticks. Would love to see him on the PP. He's a solid net front presence there.
Biggest question is going to continue to be how does his skating hold up longer term against the elites of the league. Hope it works out as we’re super thin down the middle and could use an answer or two in that group.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Biggest question is going to continue to be how does his skating hold up longer term against the elites of the league. Hope it works out as we’re super thin down the middle and could use an answer or two in that group.

That's fine. Use him for 3-4 years and then let him hit free agency when he's about to get his big contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad