Call of Duty Black Ops: Cold War

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He's saying the reason its implemented is because of the outcry of shitty players.

Edit: I feel like its necessary to explain my experiences with SBMM and why I don't like it since there seems to be some sort of stigma belonging with it.

1) The games get way too predictable. If I happen to do well a couple of games in a row, I know the next one is going to be a "sweat fest". It has nothing to do with wanting to play against weaker opponents. Its the fact that I know whats coming and it gets stale fast.

2) Sometimes I want to be able to try new things and sometimes that results in a lower than normal performance. Which then results in me getting put into a "noob" lobby and thats not fun for anyone including myself.

3) sbmm along with broken lobbies results in a game where nobody communicates. It's nothing but meta loadouts which result in the same stale gameplay imo.

4) Playing with friends that are a different skill level is pretty much impossible. The lower skilled friend usually never wants to play because they have to be put in a lobby where they are very out matched resulting in not having fun.

1. It's predictable because the game has been out for awhile now. Everyone knows all parts of the map, where to go, where to hide, where the recon will pop up and all that. A new game will change that because everyone will have to learn those all over again.

2. You want to try new things but don't want to in a noob lobby? That seems like the perfect place to for a game or two. Then when you got what you wanted you can go back to your normal lobbies.

3. I don't think SBMM has anything to do with people not communicating. I really don't know why that's an issue because everyone has mics these days. It does get annoying getting killed by the same weapon every time but you should have that meta weapon too and it all comes down to gun skill.

4. That friend either needs to play solos to improve or just play in your party but sit back and be there to revive down teammates instead of trying to engage in gun fights. Work on their gun skills in the gulag or when you guys have another team outmatched. I'm sure you have enough friends where you can find a team.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I feel like it's the shitty players complaining about SBMM. They seem to whine about 'getting thrown into a sweaty lobby full of pros' all the time.

How often are those 'sweats' and 'pros' just middle of the pack players that happen to be better than the complainer?

Generally speaking, you get better by playing people better than yourself. If you're counting on random connection-based matchmaking to give you matches against worse players to 'have casual fun' maybe SBMM isn't the problem...

Shitty players complain about everything. When your K/D generally ranges between 2.25 - 4.0 like mine does, SBMM IS the problem. At least, SBMM with how it was in MW is the problem.

As I said earlier, bringing back dead silence in the form of ninja will go a long way. Not having that basically made MW unplayable.

I rarely complain about things related to COD because for the most part I have really enjoyed the product. But there were a lot of things about MW that I disliked, with the way they implemented SBMM being #1 by far.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
1. It's predictable because the game has been out for awhile now. Everyone knows all parts of the map, where to go, where to hide, where the recon will pop up and all that. A new game will change that because everyone will have to learn those all over again.

2. You want to try new things but don't want to in a noob lobby? That seems like the perfect place to for a game or two. Then when you got what you wanted you can go back to your normal lobbies.

3. I don't think SBMM has anything to do with people not communicating. I really don't know why that's an issue because everyone has mics these days. It does get annoying getting killed by the same weapon every time but you should have that meta weapon too and it all comes down to gun skill.

4. That friend either needs to play solos to improve or just play in your party but sit back and be there to revive down teammates instead of trying to engage in gun fights. Work on their gun skills in the gulag or when you guys have another team outmatched. I'm sure you have enough friends where you can find a team.
1. I'm not talking about the map layout being predictable. I'm talking about my experience with the game being predictable. As you say, ppl knowing the map and just knowing the game in general is fine. That happens in every game. Me knowing I'm going to be put into a noob/pro lobby the very next game and have to deal with new teammates all over again after every round (this admittedly has more to do with broken lobbies) does not give me the desire to play.

2. Contrary to popular belief, playing against noobs is not fun. At least for me it isn't. Have you seen videos of players reverse boosting to get into noob lobbies and taken a look at what their opponents end up being like skill wise? It's worse than playing against bots. That may be fun for you, but it is certainly not fun for me.

3. The lack of communication has to do with people not playing with their friends imo. More on that later. The point about using the meta weapon is the fact that you HAVE to use meta weapons/tactics in order to be competitive. Back in my day, you can join a lobby and your opponents would have different skill sets. A couple of guys would be great, a couple of guys would be mediocre, and there would be the occasional noob mixed in. The variety was great. Now, its one type. That's it. And I can't even choose that type because the SBMM does that for you.

4. The fact that the friend even has to consider improving his game just to have fun with his friends is asinine to me. Sure if you want to get better thats good advice. But if you just want to get home from work, have a beer and chill with the boys in a game of COD, you can't do that unless you are willing to get absolutely shit on. People don't want that so you know what happens? They don't play with their friends, hence the lack of communication as I pointed out earlier.

Sep 19, 2008
They announced during the ps5 event that Sony PS4 players would get access to an exclusive alpha starting on Friday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smelling Salt

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
PS3 and Xbox 360 era COD MM did it perfectly. Since the majority of enemy encounters in these games end up being very quick 1 v 1 fights, it's not only preferred but it's necessary IMO to have a wide range of skill levels in each game. I think it's a way better way to get better at the game as ironically you're dealing with a more consistent set of skilled-opponents. If every game has a level-range that's all over the place, then over the 3+ matches you play a day (or however much you play) you're actually going to get a MORE consistent gameplay experience than this constant switching and punishment-reward lobby system.

Not trying to bring Halo into this, but back in the H3 days if I was a level 40 in Team Slayer and my first game got matched up against players in the 35-45 range, did well, then got matched up against a bunch of 48's-50's in the next two games and got my ass handed to me, THEN got put into a lobby with a bunch of 10's-20's the next game, THEN got put back into a lobby with 35-45's, that would be crazy. It would be an inconsistent skill experience that makes it hard to get better, and really hard to have fun.

It's not even about winning or losing, or maintaining a good K/D. SBMM basically just puts you two ends of the skill spectrum and the range is non-existent. I'd much rather have a consistently broad spectrum of skill to go up against when playing games by myself.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
PS3 and Xbox 360 era COD MM did it perfectly. Since the majority of enemy encounters in these games end up being very quick 1 v 1 fights, it's not only preferred but it's necessary IMO to have a wide range of skill levels in each game. I think it's a way better way to get better at the game as ironically you're dealing with a more consistent set of skilled-opponents. If every game has a level-range that's all over the place, then over the 3+ matches you play a day (or however much you play) you're actually going to get a MORE consistent gameplay experience than this constant switching and punishment-reward lobby system.

Not trying to bring Halo into this, but back in the H3 days if I was a level 40 in Team Slayer and my first game got matched up against players in the 35-45 range, did well, then got matched up against a bunch of 48's-50's in the next two games and got my ass handed to me, THEN got put into a lobby with a bunch of 10's-20's the next game, THEN got put back into a lobby with 35-45's, that would be crazy. It would be an inconsistent skill experience that makes it hard to get better, and really hard to have fun.

It's not even about winning or losing, or maintaining a good K/D. SBMM basically just puts you two ends of the skill spectrum and the range is non-existent. I'd much rather have a consistently broad spectrum of skill to go up against when playing games by myself.

Again, this seems less like a problem with SBMM than the specific tuning of SBMM used in the last COD.

Are they for sure using the exact same algorithm this time, or are they tweaking it? Have they claimed to have tweaked it at all over the course of time since MW's release>?

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I've liked the alpha fine. I won't say I like it better than MW, but it does feel nice not having to blast through doors all the time

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Let's just draw the line in the sand: SBMM is objectively a great system if its tuned properly. In the COD games it is absolutely not.

Cold War is apparently worse than MW on that regard so I'm just going to consider this series dead and move on.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Let's just draw the line in the sand: SBMM is objectively a great system if its tuned properly. In the COD games it is absolutely not.

Cold War is apparently worse than MW on that regard so I'm just going to consider this series dead and move on.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

Couldn't agree more. It only took 1 game in the alpha for the sbmm to kick in. I didn't do too well in the first game, and I was the best in the lobby by far in the next. Big pass for me.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I think my biggest sticking point with the SBMM is it absolutely kills the social aspect of the game for a lot of people.

In MW I'm what according to their system is an average player. (.94 kd, can pop off on occasion but generally i do alright) A buddy of mine has been playing cod since he was a kid essentially and he has a K/D of 1.20

If we party up it doesn't even bother averaging us out, it just throws us into a lobby for the world championships to the point becomes unfun to play. Everyone is bunnyhopping around corners, hiding in corners and refusing to move around the map.

If thats what COD is going to be now I'm just going to wash my hands of it and stick to Halo and any other arcade shooters that might come along.

Reactions: Hammettf2b

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Best Black Ops or best COD?

Cause the best COD top to bottom is still COD4. ;)

Agreed. I loved COD4, one of my fav video games. Everything was great, especially only have 3 killstreaks which meant less camping and faster gameplay.

When they remastered it I loved it but of course everyone abandoned it for something new and shiny.

Sep 19, 2008
I think my biggest sticking point with the SBMM is it absolutely kills the social aspect of the game for a lot of people.

In MW I'm what according to their system is an average player. (.94 kd, can pop off on occasion but generally i do alright) A buddy of mine has been playing cod since he was a kid essentially and he has a K/D of 1.20

If we party up it doesn't even bother averaging us out, it just throws us into a lobby for the world championships to the point becomes unfun to play. Everyone is bunnyhopping around corners, hiding in corners and refusing to move around the map.

If thats what COD is going to be now I'm just going to wash my hands of it and stick to Halo and any other arcade shooters that might come along.

Sep 19, 2008
Do you do anything but browse reddit in your free time?

Form your own opinion for once for gods sake.
Surprised as a "student" you are so disdainful of citing others, especially when it's needed in college writing (maybe you are HS student?).

In this case Scump is a pro CoD player who plays competitively for the Chicago Huntsmen and his opinion carries a lot of weight.

Why the f*** wouldn't I drop opinions on what pro streamers think? They do this for a living. You play like 1 hour a day for fun. They play 8 or 9 hours per day. Do you even Twitch, bruh?

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Surprised as a "student" you are so disdainful of citing others, especially when it's needed in college writing (maybe you are HS student?).

In this case Scump is a pro CoD player who plays competitively for the Chicago Huntsmen and his opinion carries a lot of weight.

Why the f*** wouldn't I drop opinions on what pro streamers think? They do this for a living. You play like 1 hour a day for fun. They play 8 or 9 hours per day. Do you even Twitch, bruh?

who has got time to twitch when you run the game and rack up kills.

of course they will say favourable things....they make their living off the series lol.

Sep 19, 2008
who has got time to twitch when you run the game and rack up kills.

of course they will say favourable things....they make their living off the series lol.
Actually that's not true. Them playing 8 or 9 hours a day gives them free reign to complain and be frank about the state of the game.

Scump was honest here but others like NickMercs have been honest about the cheating that is going on. King Richard also expressed dismay with the cheating as well as SBMM (tweet posted last page). It's not like they're utter shills for the game. They criticize the game and the bugs constantly.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Actually that's not true. Them playing 8 or 9 hours a day gives them free reign to complain and be frank about the state of the game.

Scump was honest here but others like NickMercs have been honest about the cheating that is going on. King Richard also expressed dismay with the cheating as well as SBMM (tweet posted last page). It's not like they're utter shills for the game. They criticize the game and the bugs constantly.

I have seen videos of people hacking in warzone. I have personally have not had a match yet where I believed someone was cheating in multi. I have gone up against some good players in multi but I dont think there has ever been a time where I have not been able to hold my own or feel like someone was cheating. I usually just opt out of warzone once I or my team dies and dont watch the rest as who has time for that.

Sep 19, 2008
I have seen videos of people hacking in warzone. I have personally have not had a match yet where I believed someone was cheating in multi. I have gone up against some good players in multi but I dont think there has ever been a time where I have not been able to hold my own or feel like someone was cheating. I usually just opt out of warzone once I or my team dies and dont watch the rest as who has time for that.
Speaking of which symfuhny got banned :laugh:

Very popular twitch streamer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad