Call of Duty Black Ops: Cold War

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
There's leaked multiplayer footage from what I assume is an early access event for streamers. If the gameplay is any indication, and as excited as I was for this, I can't help but feel its quite a step down.

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War multiplayer footage leaks early

Can be found through this link if anybody is interested. I understand it's early and everything, but games don't usually overhaul with a couple months out, and I'm left pretty disappointed based on initial looks. Movement and audio seem almost outdated and a step back compared to MW, animations in particular. Seems they've dialed back a few features such as mounting, doors etc. Modern Warfare has it's faults, but the overall gameplay is fairly smooth and feels great to play, as well as having the best game audio of any COD, hands down. I know its just a 4 and a half minute clip, so I'm hoping that its maybe a one off or something. We'll see how the beta in October feels.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Please Treyarch save us

Get rid of SBMM and a new f***ing lobby every game. Stop catering to the shitty players with huge campy maps and a fast ttk. Wish we could go back to the good old days of being able to pub stomp and then hop into a competitive game in league play. B02 really will never be beaten huh.
I will never buy another COD game unless these are confirmed. It's a shame because I love the new MW but the SBMM and new lobby completely ruined my experience with the game. I stopped playing season 1. Thats how bad I hated it.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I will never buy another COD game unless these are confirmed. It's a shame because I love the new MW but the SBMM and new lobby completely ruined my experience with the game. I stopped playing season 1. Thats how bad I hated it.

Ditto. It is no fun, especially at higher skill levels. I'm not saying I need to pubstomp all the time but when I hop on to play with friends after having a few beers (or even in when I'm relaxed and playing a few matches in bed) and get matched with people my own skill level, yikes. People at my skill level are sweat sacks 24/7.

If they had SBMM with Dead Silence I might be okay because DS does a good job of flattening the skill curve a bit.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Doors and mounting have been removed so in my book it's already better than MW2019. I'd like the maps and spawns to not be completely terrible but i'm not getting my hopes up.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
There's leaked multiplayer footage from what I assume is an early access event for streamers. If the gameplay is any indication, and as excited as I was for this, I can't help but feel its quite a step down.

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War multiplayer footage leaks early

Can be found through this link if anybody is interested. I understand it's early and everything, but games don't usually overhaul with a couple months out, and I'm left pretty disappointed based on initial looks. Movement and audio seem almost outdated and a step back compared to MW, animations in particular. Seems they've dialed back a few features such as mounting, doors etc. Modern Warfare has it's faults, but the overall gameplay is fairly smooth and feels great to play, as well as having the best game audio of any COD, hands down. I know its just a 4 and a half minute clip, so I'm hoping that its maybe a one off or something. We'll see how the beta in October feels.

It definitely looks simplified from MW.

That said, I do like the increased TTK as it helps minimize lucky kills.

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
I think given Warzone and the continual support they’ve provided for MW, they could have skipped this year on a new Call of Duty release. Everyone I talk to at least seems pretty happy with Modern Warfare still.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I think given Warzone and the continual support they’ve provided for MW, they could have skipped this year on a new Call of Duty release. Everyone I talk to at least seems pretty happy with Modern Warfare still.

Agreed.

I feel that way with a lot of multiplayer-centric games. I'd rather they just build on the existing platform and serve the existing audience, and grow that audience by adding more content.

It's why I appreciate Bungie coming out and saying 'we're not making Destiny 3... here's a rough guide to the next 3 years of content for the game you already own'.

That said, it's hard to beat a new boxed product on the shelves of wallmart when it comes to juicing a videogame company's stock price.

Reactions: AllAbout813

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Just watching all these streamers playing at the moment and I still can't shake the feeling that it seems like a step back compared to MW regarding overall gameplay. Movement is just off, overall graphics quality seems toned down, the audio isn't even close to MW. I really want to like it but I'm far past the times I'd overlook sub par gameplay for the sake of convincing myself that the newest COD is a must have. Guess I'll have to wait for the beta to judge for myself.

Reactions: JaegerDice

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Right into the trash it goes. SBMM is such a garbage mechanic when it's overtuned to the extent Activision has it.

Generally it's a good thing since most games that use it have used it to gradually bump up skill if you get on a hot streak. Here though? Two good games and you're thrown into the lobby for the world championship. Which of course basically forces you to play meta loadouts and play like a bitch.

No SBMM is bad but overtuned SBMM is even worse. Having a casual/ranked split is so much better. Halo for the most part did this well. Ranked Playlist had sbmm, social did not. Even Halo 5 did this well. Want to sweat your balls of? Ranked is there. Want to dick around with increasingly peculiar game types or maybe just play social slayer? Social Playlist right there.

Last edited:

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Looks fine, a lot better than last year's at least. Still on the fence if I'm getting it - destiny expansion and cyberpunk come out like the same week-ish.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Right into the trash it goes. SBMM is such a garbage mechanic when it's overtuned to the extent Activision has it.

Generally it's a good thing since most games that use it have used it to gradually bump up skill if you get on a hot streak. Here though? Two good games and you're thrown into the lobby for the world championship. Which of course basically forces you to play meta loadouts and play like a bitch.

No SBMM is bad but overtuned SBMM is even worse. Having a casual/ranked split is so much better. Halo for the most part did this well. Ranked Playlist had sbmm, social did not. Even Halo 5 did this well. Want to sweat your balls of? Ranked is there. Want to dick around with increasingly peculiar game types or maybe just play social slayer? Social Playlist right there.
Yep.

Hard pass for me with SBMM. First time since I started playing COD with MW2 that I will pass. SBMM is such a terrible mechanic. If you don't like getting your ass kicked every time you play, get better. Don't ruin the f***ing game for the rest of us.

Although, I will say, now that Dead Silence is confirmed, that changes things. I was originally under the impression it was removed from this game as well. That helps level the playing field a bit at higher levels, rather than giving those who wish to blow out their ear drums by sound whoring such a large advantage.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yep.

Hard pass for me with SBMM. First time since I started playing COD with MW2 that I will pass. SBMM is such a terrible mechanic. If you don't like getting your ass kicked every time you play, get better. Don't ruin the f***ing game for the rest of us.

Although, I will say, now that Dead Silence is confirmed, that changes things. I was originally under the impression it was removed from this game as well. That helps level the playing field a bit at higher levels, rather than giving those who wish to blow out their ear drums by sound whoring such a large advantage.

I don't get comments like this. You tell shitty players to get better but then complain about SBMM? Are you complaining about it because you are a shitty player as well that thinks your good so you keep getting your ass kicked by actual good players?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I don't get comments like this. You tell shitty players to get better but then complain about SBMM? Are you complaining about it because you are a shitty player as well that thinks your good so you keep getting your ass kicked by actual good players?
He's saying the reason its implemented is because of the outcry of shitty players.

Edit: I feel like its necessary to explain my experiences with SBMM and why I don't like it since there seems to be some sort of stigma belonging with it.

1) The games get way too predictable. If I happen to do well a couple of games in a row, I know the next one is going to be a "sweat fest". It has nothing to do with wanting to play against weaker opponents. Its the fact that I know whats coming and it gets stale fast.

2) Sometimes I want to be able to try new things and sometimes that results in a lower than normal performance. Which then results in me getting put into a "noob" lobby and thats not fun for anyone including myself.

3) sbmm along with broken lobbies results in a game where nobody communicates. It's nothing but meta loadouts which result in the same stale gameplay imo.

4) Playing with friends that are a different skill level is pretty much impossible. The lower skilled friend usually never wants to play because they have to be put in a lobby where they are very out matched resulting in not having fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala
Sep 19, 2008
SBMM has become an issue with the streamers I watch who see the lobbies infested with hackers (they're all 155 so naturally they'd all face "good" Players in theory which would also include the hackers)

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
SBMM has become an issue with the streamers I watch who see the lobbies infested with hackers (they're all 155 so naturally they'd all face "good" Players in theory which would also include the hackers)

If it's Hackers that's one thing but complaining because you aren't getting 20 or 30 goals anymore and are having a harder time getting kills or wins isn't. If you're as good as you think you are then it shouldn't matter if your lobby is full of noobs or pros.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
If it's Hackers that's one thing but complaining because you aren't getting 20 or 30 goals anymore and are having a harder time getting kills or wins isn't. If you're as good as you think you are then it shouldn't matter if your lobby is full of noobs or pros.
Please read my response on this issue. For most of us it has nothing to do with "facing a lobby full of pros"

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Yep.

I feel like it's the shitty players complaining about SBMM. They seem to whine about 'getting thrown into a sweaty lobby full of pros' all the time.

How often are those 'sweats' and 'pros' just middle of the pack players that happen to be better than the complainer?

Generally speaking, you get better by playing people better than yourself. If you're counting on random connection-based matchmaking to give you matches against worse players to 'have casual fun' maybe SBMM isn't the problem...

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I feel like it's the shitty players complaining about SBMM. They seem to whine about 'getting thrown into a sweaty lobby full of pros' all the time.

How often are those 'sweats' and 'pros' just middle of the pack players that happen to be better than the complainer?

Generally speaking, you get better by playing people better than yourself. If you're counting on random connection-based matchmaking to give you matches against worse players to 'have casual fun' maybe SBMM isn't the problem...
Please read my response on this issue. For most of us it has nothing to do with "facing a lobby full of pros"

Reactions: Gardner McKay
Sep 19, 2008

The pros complain too. King Richard was one of the most vehement against SBMM as well a s other streamers. When I told them what I told you all here about "in theory good players should be challenged by other good players" he was not pleased. He said something about how that shouldn't be the case.

That being said Hammet has complained to me personally many times about SBMM and MP. And I'm still playing MP as much as I can (can't play right now as I moved to a new place and this damn floor doesn't get ethernet :( ) So clearly I don't find it much of an issue.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
He's saying the reason its implemented is because of the outcry of shitty players.

Edit: I feel like its necessary to explain my experiences with SBMM and why I don't like it since there seems to be some sort of stigma belonging with it.

1) The games get way too predictable. If I happen to do well a couple of games in a row, I know the next one is going to be a "sweat fest". It has nothing to do with wanting to play against weaker opponents. Its the fact that I know whats coming and it gets stale fast.

2) Sometimes I want to be able to try new things and sometimes that results in a lower than normal performance. Which then results in me getting put into a "noob" lobby and thats not fun for anyone including myself.

3) sbmm along with broken lobbies results in a game where nobody communicates. It's nothing but meta loadouts which result in the same stale gameplay imo.

4) Playing with friends that are a different skill level is pretty much impossible. The lower skilled friend usually never wants to play because they have to be put in a lobby where they are very out matched resulting in not having fun.

This seems like a tuning issue. Ie, it should take more matches to move up ranks and the increase in ranks should be more gradual.

I don't think you can blame SBMM for a lack of communication. The fact that most people online are wretched to have in your headset is the reason most solo players don't enter team chat. They'd rather just play in peace, especially in a game like COD, where the bulk of progress is through experience and winning or losing doesn't mean anything as far as progress.

The playing with friends thing is a legitimate issue. I'm not sure how COD handles parties of players with vastly different rankings. Most aggregate skill level across the players in the party, which isn't great, cause if you're a great player with 3 terrible players, it averages out to you versus a team of average players, and you can't carry them.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
The pros complain too. King Richard was one of the most vehement against SBMM as well a s other streamers. When I told them what I told you all here about "in theory good players should be challenged by other good players" he was not pleased. He said something about how that shouldn't be the case.

That being said Hammet has complained to me personally many times about SBMM and MP. And I'm still playing Warzone as much as I can (can't play right now as I moved to a new place and this damn floor doesn't get ethernet :( ) So clearly I don't find it much of an issue.

Yeah, I can imagine why a streamer would prefer to beat up on weaker players rather than risk losing in front of his audience.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
This seems like a tuning issue. Ie, it should take more matches to move up ranks and the increase in ranks should be more gradual.

I don't think you can blame SBMM for a lack of communication. The fact that most people online are wretched to have in your headset is the reason most solo players don't enter team chat. They'd rather just play in peace, especially in a game like COD, where the bulk of progress is through experience and winning or losing doesn't mean anything as far as progress.

The playing with friends thing is a legitimate issue. I'm not sure how COD handles parties of players with vastly different rankings. Most aggregate skill level across the players in the party, which isn't great, cause if you're a great player with 3 terrible players, it averages out to you versus a team of average players, and you can't carry them.
Well whatever it is, they haven't been able to tune it correctly. It seems as though as long as sbmm is in the game, that tuning problem will exist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad