California-oakland Seals

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
Thanks for this post. it seems that we do have people here that have common sense about this subject.and i will say this one more time after this post. the seals or cleveland barons are not the sharks. end of subject.

So, this debate has gone:

Someone: Proof!

You: No, I'm right.

Someone else: Different proof!

You: No, I said I'm right, stop arguing with me.

Another person: Yet more proof!

You: For the last time, you're wrong and I'm right!

By any chance are you a televangelist by trade?

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
-_- nooo the barons and seals are the sharks!

The Seals became the Barons, and the Barons merged into the North Stars. Then part of the North Stars (the players) went into San Jose.

What I was trying to say was that no single player played for all of those teams, but they're related by ownership, and looking back, I forgot to mention the Barons went into the North Stars.

bah

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
Seals

So, this debate has gone:

Someone: Proof!

You: No, I'm right.

Someone else: Different proof!

You: No, I said I'm right, stop arguing with me.

Another person: Yet more proof!

You: For the last time, you're wrong and I'm right!

By any chance are you a televangelist by trade?

I have only been in this hockey forum a couple of days and it seems that we have members here that just want to start crap and keep it going. i have read those posts and it says nothing in them that says that the sharks are the seals or barons.the sharks were a expansion team and have nothing at all to do with the seals or barons. next thing people hear will be saying is that the ducks are the seals or barons.:shakehead :deadhorse

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
I have only been in this hockey forum a couple of days and it seems that we have members here that just want to start crap and keep it going. i have read those posts and it says nothing in them that says that the sharks are the seals or barons.the sharks were a expansion team and have nothing at all to do with the seals or barons. next thing people hear will be saying is that the ducks are the seals or barons.:shakehead :deadhorse

No, you are the one keeping this going by incisting on an incorrect stance when faced with a littany of evidence to the contrary, directly provoking those who wish to promote correct statements.

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
No, you are the one keeping this going by incisting on an incorrect stance when faced with a littany of evidence to the contrary, directly provoking those who wish to promote correct statements.

No Mr Moderator you are wrong. i will say this one more time the san jose sharks are not the california seals or the cleveland barons.the facts speak for themselves on this matter and i am right. i was around back then and know what happened. if this does not stop i will just not reply to anymore of these sharks-seals posts.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
No Mr Moderator you are wrong. i will say this one more time the san jose sharks are not the california seals or the cleveland barons.the facts speak for themselves on this matter and i am right. i was around back then and know what happened. if this does not stop i will just not reply to anymore of these sharks-seals posts.

The facts do speak for themself and you are wrong. You are right that they are not a direct continuation, but there is an indirect continuation between the franchises. Same owner, same metropolitan area and a de-merging dispersal draft occured.

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
The facts do speak for themself and you are wrong. You are right that they are not a direct continuation, but there is an indirect continuation between the franchises. Same owner, same metropolitan area and a de-merging dispersal draft occured.

The seals played in oakland and at the Oakland coliseum and did not play in san jose. and the cleveland barons are no were near california and they played at the old richfield coliseum that was in the subburbs of cleveland ohio.san francisco and oakland are the same metropolitan area and not san jose.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
All I know is that if San Jose wins the Stanley I'm going to run around the living room with my Bert Marshall Seals hockey card and scream like an idiot.

Wet Sprocket

Apr 10, 2007
Sacramento
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_NHL_Dispersal_and_Expansion_Drafts

Olympia Stadium, take a look at the 1991 NHL Dispersal And Expansion Drafts. Then explain again how the San Jose Sharks and the Minnesota North Stars had NO connections (as you have been stating). Please give an educated reply, not simply stating "there is no connection, end of story." Explain to me why there is no connection to the two teams when; 1.) they had the same owners (the Gund brothers), 2.) when the Sharks came into the league, the NHL held a Dispersal Draft in which the San Jose Sharks had exclusive rights to choose 24 players on the Minnesota North Star roster; and finally, 3.) both the San Jose Sharks and Minnesota North Stars participated in the Expansion draft. If there is "no connection" between the 2 franchises, then why the dispersal draft involving the Minnesota North Stars?

Wetcoaster

Thanks for this post. it seems that we do have people here that have common sense about this subject.and i will say this one more time after this post. the seals or cleveland barons are not the sharks. end of subject.
Only if you chooose to define your terms in a way that is not usual.

Ogopogo*

The seals played in oakland and at the Oakland coliseum and did not play in san jose. and the cleveland barons are no were near california and they played at the old richfield coliseum that was in the subburbs of cleveland ohio.san francisco and oakland are the same metropolitan area and not san jose.

After the season, the Gunds tried to buy the Coliseum, but failed. On June 14, 1978, the league granted approval for the Barons to merge with another financially troubled team, the Minnesota North Stars, under the Gunds' ownership. The merged franchise would retain the Minnesota North Stars name, but assume the Barons' old place in the Adams Division. The Barons are last franchise in the four major North American sports leagues to cease operations, and as a result the NHL fielded only 17 teams for the 1978-79 season.

Dennis Maruk was the last Baron to be active in the NHL, retiring from the North Stars after the 1989 season.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Barons_(NHL)

Although Northern California was not considered a particularly fertile hockey market, the NHL's 1967-68 expansion included a Bay Area team, primarily because the terms of a new television agreement with CBS called for two of the new teams to be located in California. Thus, the Oakland Seals were one of the six expansion teams added, but were a failure both on the ice and at the gate. After nine money-losing seasons and continued low attendance, in 1976 the Seals were sold to Cleveland businessmen George and Gordon Gund and moved to Cleveland, where they became the Barons. After two more years of losses, the Gunds were permitted to merge the Barons with the financially struggling Minnesota North Stars. The Gunds emerged as the owners of the North Stars as part of the deal.

The Gunds had long wanted to bring hockey back to the Bay Area, and asked the NHL for permission to move the North Stars there in the late 1980s, but were vetoed by the league. Meanwhile, a group led by former Hartford Whalers owner Howard Baldwin was pushing the NHL to bring a team to San Jose, where a new arena was being built. Eventually a compromise was struck by the league, where the Gunds would sell their share of the North Stars to Baldwin's group, with the Gunds receiving an expansion team in the Bay Area to begin play in the 1991-92 NHL season.[1] In return, the North Stars would be allowed to participate as an equal partner in an expansion draft with the new Bay Area team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Jose_Sharks

Dispersal Draft: Before the draft, the North Stars selected 14 skaters and two goaltenders who had played at least 50 NHL games by the end of the 1989-1990 season. These players were protected. From the unprotected North Stars players (but excluding 1990 draft picks), the Sharks selected 14 skaters and two goaltenders. Up to three Shark selections could have been unsigned North Stars draft choices, while another three could have been players signed between May 2 and June 15, 1990.

After San Jose had chosen 14 skaters and two goaltenders from Minnesota, the teams would take turns choosing from the pool of unclaimed players until the Sharks roster reached thirty players.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_NHL_Dispersal_and_Expansion_Drafts

We're not making this stuff up. Do a little bit of research and you will see that this really is accurate.

Not trying to cause trouble just telling you what I know.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
And the most obscure of information: when the Seals came into Madison Sqaure Garden for their annual visit in the early 70s, NYR fans rolled out the "Morris Mott Fan Club," celebrating the most anonoymous of player on the most anonymous of teams.

That's hilarious. Rangers fans are awesome.

Morris Mott was one of the players of that time who was smart enough to think about what he would do for a living if he didn't have a long hockey career. While he played, he continued to work on his Ph.D. and enjoyed a long career as a professor at Brandon University.

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
Seals

After the season, the Gunds tried to buy the Coliseum, but failed. On June 14, 1978, the league granted approval for the Barons to merge with another financially troubled team, the Minnesota North Stars, under the Gunds' ownership. The merged franchise would retain the Minnesota North Stars name, but assume the Barons' old place in the Adams Division. The Barons are last franchise in the four major North American sports leagues to cease operations, and as a result the NHL fielded only 17 teams for the 1978-79 season.

Dennis Maruk was the last Baron to be active in the NHL, retiring from the North Stars after the 1989 season.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Barons_(NHL)

Although Northern California was not considered a particularly fertile hockey market, the NHL's 1967-68 expansion included a Bay Area team, primarily because the terms of a new television agreement with CBS called for two of the new teams to be located in California. Thus, the Oakland Seals were one of the six expansion teams added, but were a failure both on the ice and at the gate. After nine money-losing seasons and continued low attendance, in 1976 the Seals were sold to Cleveland businessmen George and Gordon Gund and moved to Cleveland, where they became the Barons. After two more years of losses, the Gunds were permitted to merge the Barons with the financially struggling Minnesota North Stars. The Gunds emerged as the owners of the North Stars as part of the deal.

The Gunds had long wanted to bring hockey back to the Bay Area, and asked the NHL for permission to move the North Stars there in the late 1980s, but were vetoed by the league. Meanwhile, a group led by former Hartford Whalers owner Howard Baldwin was pushing the NHL to bring a team to San Jose, where a new arena was being built. Eventually a compromise was struck by the league, where the Gunds would sell their share of the North Stars to Baldwin's group, with the Gunds receiving an expansion team in the Bay Area to begin play in the 1991-92 NHL season.[1] In return, the North Stars would be allowed to participate as an equal partner in an expansion draft with the new Bay Area team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Jose_Sharks

Dispersal Draft: Before the draft, the North Stars selected 14 skaters and two goaltenders who had played at least 50 NHL games by the end of the 1989-1990 season. These players were protected. From the unprotected North Stars players (but excluding 1990 draft picks), the Sharks selected 14 skaters and two goaltenders. Up to three Shark selections could have been unsigned North Stars draft choices, while another three could have been players signed between May 2 and June 15, 1990.

After San Jose had chosen 14 skaters and two goaltenders from Minnesota, the teams would take turns choosing from the pool of unclaimed players until the Sharks roster reached thirty players.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_NHL_Dispersal_and_Expansion_Drafts

We're not making this stuff up. Do a little bit of research and you will see that this really is accurate.

Not trying to cause trouble just telling you what I know.

After reading this post i got out some of my hockey books to read about this and Dennis Maruk was the last active baron to play in the NHL. he played in 6 games for the minnesota north stars in the 1988-89 season. Now Gilles Meloche played in 27 games for the 1987-88 pittsburgh penguins.so i was wrong about this one item.no one is perfect and i do admit when i make a mistake.i am not a Mr Know it all.

Ogopogo*

Does anyone out there remmber crazy george who would go to the seals games and cheer for the team in the stands.

If it is the same curly-haired balding guy that I am thinking of, after the demise of the Seals, he made his way up to Vancouver for BC Lions football games. I think he was at some Canucks games as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad