California hockey team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
The closest NCAA teams are in Colorado while the closest USHL teams are in Nebraska.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
NCAA: Colorado College, Denver and Air Force.

USHL: Lincoln, Omaha and Tri-City (Kearney).

edit - looks like OC beat me to it.... and at near four in the morning... :eek:

Last edited:

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Roberto Luongo said:
So there are no NCCA or USHL team that are in California?

There are colleges in California that have ice hockey teams (USC plays at Disney Ice in Anaheim) but I don't think they have become official NCAA teams yet. Someday they will.

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
McDonald19 said:
There are colleges in California that have ice hockey teams (USC plays at Disney Ice in Anaheim) but I don't think they have become official NCAA teams yet. Someday they will.

They'll never be part of the NCAA, and there's really no need for it. The Pac-8 is part of the ACHA (American Collegiate Hockey Association) which is comprised of club teams, meaning instead of being school funded it's like a campus club thing, with teams supporting themselves through ticket sales. The Pac 8 is Division II in the ACHA. You can find an ACHA team almost everywhere these days ... heck, even CSU Fresno has one. The Div I teams tend to be in the East Coast and such.

The level of play isn't all that great (there's often guys who have only been playing a few years), but it's not totally incompetent either. I'll bet a lot of folks on these boards who aren't ultra-bad would slot in very nicely on a Div I or Div II ACHA team. There used to be a bunch of guys from Edmonton on the Cal team about 10 years ago (they were all optometry students, strangely enough), and they were the best line in the conference. And Sami Jo Small (from the Canadian women's team) used to play over at Stanford.

They take grad students as well as undergrads, so if any of you folks weren't good enough to play NCAA hockey but still want to be a part of a college team, there's options out there. Of course, you have to get into the school on academic merit first.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
The North American Hockey League (NAHL) has a team in Helena, CA. They're called the Bighorns.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Mr Bugg said:
I don't get it... why do they have tryouts in California then?

California is starting to produce a lot of good young prospects. Makes a lot of sense for any junior team to have tryouts there.

Incidentally, California used to have a Division I NCAA hockey team, US International in San Diego, but they killed their hockey program.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Lard_Lad said:
California is starting to produce a lot of good young prospects. Makes a lot of sense for any junior team to have tryouts there.

Incidentally, California used to have a Division I NCAA hockey team, US International in San Diego, but they killed their hockey program.

United States International University is now Alliant International University and they never had DI ice hockey.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Lard_Lad said:
They were a Division I independent in the early/mid-80's.

I must apologize. U.S. International was technically a DI team. They played in the Great West Hockey Conference that last from 1985-86 to 1987-88. Something else I found, the Houston Aeros (AHL) Head Coach Matt Shaw play at U.S.I.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->