Calgary's pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
The difference between the two goaltenders right now is that Auld has played well at a high level, while Krahn has only shown he can play well for a few months in the WHL and some time in the ECHL. Let us not forget it was less than 1.5 years ago that Krahn was released from a WHL team. His track record doesn't bode well for his sucess later on.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Maxwell Edison said:
The difference between the two goaltenders right now is that Auld has played well at a high level, while Krahn has only shown he can play well for a few months in the WHL and some time in the ECHL. Let us not forget it was less than 1.5 years ago that Krahn was released from a WHL team. His track record doesn't bode well for his sucess later on.

He was dominant for more than a few months in the WHL. And I watched him at that level and he was very impressive. He outdueled Blackburn in several matches that I witnessed firsthand.

As for being released that was because he was still injured and the Hitmen didn't know if he would be ready and therefore they had to make a move before the WHL trade deadline to secure their top two goaltending spots. You may be aware that he had a 1.79 GAA and a .928 SV% for Seattle after they picked him up.

When he's been healthy he's been very impressive. As I said the injury has set his development back and he still has several more years of development before we can really judge him.

Bottom line to me is that I've watched this kid a fair amount in junior, in training camp (scrimmages, practises, exhibition) and I like the tools he has to be an NHL goalie. He's got Turek's size but he's much more athletic and acrobatic. A few years development with the help of the Calgary goaltending coach (who has to take some credit for our strong goaltending year) and he should be fine. Stats don't really tell the whole story as I'm sure you're aware.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Well of course they don't tell the whole story, but from what I remember, Krahn wasn't playing very well with Calgary at the time he was traded, or released I think is what actually happened. That is when he started to pick it up. I am merely stating that I don't think the flames wouldn't draft a goaltender because they have an unproven injury prone prospect in Krahn who has been good for all things considered a short period of time.

rinkrat13

Nov 27, 2003
Toronto
The Bottom Line Is...

... The Flames need to draft a goalie in the 2004 goalie-heavy-draft. If it's in the 1st or 2nd or even the 3rd, they need a goalie prospect... cuz in my eyes (and the eyes of others) The Flames are NOT deep in goal.

IMO Calgary should draf a goalie in the first, since they have no second rounder (now, Sutter may trade for one?!? - key word is MAY)

BTW - I still can't figure out why alot of the poster in this thread think The Flames are OK in goal. Krahn and Sabourin will never be NHL starters... and Medvedev (how I actually like) is a big fat pig - I'd like nothing more then to see this kid play in the NHL (even as an over weight player) I think he has the ability to be a big time stopper, just too bad he can't stay away from McDonalds!?

No Fat Kids Where Hurt During the Writing of This Post!

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
rinkrat13 said:
BTW - I still can't figure out why alot of the poster in this thread think The Flames are OK in goal. Krahn and Sabourin will never be NHL starters

To be frank that is a very, very idiotic statement to make. To write off a guy who just turned 22 and is a former first round pick who has had some injury problems is foolhardy. Especially when you consider that goalies generally take 5-6 years to develop and Krahn's already missed over a season because of an injury.

Give your head a shake man. Never say never.

He hasn't lost his 6'4 frame. He hasn't lost the athleticism he had. He's only played one year of pro hockey so far. He's still a decent prospect. Anyone calling him a bust at this point obviously hasn't followed prospects very long or doesn't know what they're talking about. Take your choice.

rinkrat13

Nov 27, 2003
Toronto
Flames Draft Watcher said:
To be frank that is a very, very idiotic statement to make. To write off a guy who just turned 22 and is a former first round pick who has had some injury problems is foolhardy. Especially when you consider that goalies generally take 5-6 years to develop and Krahn's already missed over a season because of an injury.

He hasn't lost his 6'4 frame. He hasn't lost the athleticism he had. He's only played one year of pro hockey so far. He's still a decent prospect. Anyone calling him a bust at this point obviously hasn't followed prospects very long or doesn't know what they're talking about. Take your choice.

Just my opinion - I've never thought much of Krahn (now or before he was drafted) I've never thought he would ever amount to anything in the NHL... I also don't think anyone's opinion should be called an idiotic statement - it's just someones (a stragers) opinion, thats it!

Give your head a shake man.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site

Well people are labeling players from the 2002 draft as busts so it isn't just this one guy. What I would be worried about with Krahn is his inability (until this past year) to really stay healthy. As he is put into more competitive situations (Not the ECHL) he is going to have to strain himself more and with his past, it is likely that he will face an injury in the future. I won't say he (Krahn) never will (with Saborin I am saying it is extemely likely read:99.9% likely that he won't be an NHL starter) be an NHL starter. It is a crapshoot right now.

Mats_Hallin

Feb 1, 2004
?

I listed 14 guys as appealing.

I listed another 8 guys as locks to go ahead of our pick.

I listed another 5 guys who have a chance to go ahead of our pick (including Radulov and Wolski who I'm pretty sure will go in the top 18).

Do the math yourself, it's impossible for there to be only the 3 you listed.

There will be at least 5 of the guys that made my "appealing" list left for the Flames, most likely more...

Do the math yourself FDW. I listed six guys.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Mats_Hallin said:
Do the math yourself FDW. I listed six guys.

Sure.

14+8+5 = 27. So there will be 9 of the guys I listed left at the Flames pick since 18 guys will be gone by then. Slightly more than the 5-6 guys you said would be the "only" guys available.

Last edited:

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
rinkrat13 said:
I also don't think anyone's opinion should be called an idiotic statement - it's just someones (a stragers) opinion, thats it!

Well if I said the sky was brown would you call that an idiotic statement/opinion? I would. You can call it an opinion all you want but Krahn is clearly not a bust yet so to suggest he is would be wrong.

It's a pet peeve of mine and I'll acknowledge that. I hate it when people call a player a bust at an early age when the player clearly has not proven himself a bust yet.

Calling Krahn a bust now is exactly the same as the idiots who called Saprykin a bust at age 19/20. And trust me, there were plenty. He was a leading candidate in a "bust" poll a year or two back.

Some people don't seem to comprehend that patience and developmental time are required. Some people seem ignorant of the whole late bloomer concept. Some people just don't realize how long prospects can take to develop.

I've always hammered people for prematurely calling a prospect a "bust" and always will. It's idiotic. Say you don't like him. Say you don't like his progress. But don't give us the line that he will "never be a starter" because you don't know that and there's a decent chance it could come back to make you look quite dumb. I mean you said he would NEVER turn out. It's a very bold statement that you must be quite confident in. And I'm assuming since you're that confident in it that you must have seen most of his games live last year? Would that be a correct assumption? Or is the case that you actually aren't qualified to say he will NEVER start in the NHL?

Last edited:

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
Flames don't have a 2nd or 3rd round pick in this years draft. Which means, they will have to use their 1st rounder on need rather than best available player (since you probably cant fill up your farm with 4th+ rounders)

I dont know if we 'need' a goalie prospect. I don't think Montoya or Schwarz will be available by our pick and I don't think it is worth using a 1st rounder on Dubnyk.

I say go for one of the gritty/talented forwards listed in these posts.

People are saying this year is a weak draft right? And that next year is a strong draft? If so, maybe trade the pick.

rinkrat13

Nov 27, 2003
Toronto
It's a pet peeve of mine and I'll acknowledge that. I hate it when people call a player a bust at an early age when the player clearly has not proven himself a bust yet.

I am not calling him a bust now - I've always called him a bust. Even before the Flames made him there 9th overall pick in 2000 (which I still can't figure that one out) I have had NO faith in the guy

Some people don't seem to comprehend that patience and developmental time are required. Some people seem ignorant of the whole late bloomer concept. Some people just don't realize how long prospects can take to develop.

I fully understand how long a prospect needs to development, especially goaltenders.

I've always hammered people for prematurely calling a prospect a "bust" and always will. It's idiotic. Say you don't like him. Say you don't like his progress. But don't give us the line that he will "never be a starter" because you don't know that and there's a decent chance it could come back to make you look quite dumb. I mean you said he would NEVER turn out.

What if the shoes on the other foot:
I think you are prematurely calling Krahn a starter. It's "idiotic" (to use a word you seem to like to use alot on this topic) to say that he will be a starter because you don't know that and there's a decent chance it could come back to make you look quite dumb (copy & paste)

It's a very bold statement that you must be quite confident in. And I'm assuming since you're that confident in it that you must have seen most of his games live last year? Would that be a correct assumption? Or is the case that you actually aren't qualified to say he will NEVER start in the NHL?

I have NOT seen most of his games live last season... and I am as much qualified to say he will NEVER start in the NHL as you are to say he WILL!

Dude, smoke a bowl, chill out, don't get your underware in a knot... by the sounds of it you must be "Brent Krahn" or his brother/sister, dad/mom, agent, lover - if you aren't anyone of those people in his life then just RELAX! It's just someone's (a strangers) opinion of a marginal player :shakehead

DR. Holiday

rinkrat13 said:
I am not calling him a bust now - I've always called him a bust. Even before the Flames made him there 9th overall pick in 2000 (which I still can't figure that one out) I have had NO faith in the guy

I fully understand how long a prospect needs to development, especially goaltenders.

I think you are prematurely calling Krahn a starter. It's "idiotic" (to use a word you seem to like to use alot on this topic) to say that he will be a starter because you don't know that and there's a decent chance it could come back to make you look quite dumb (copy & paste)

I have NOT seen most of his games live last season... and I am as much qualified to say he will NEVER start in the NHL as you are to say he WILL!

Dude, smoke a bowl, chill out, don't get your underware in a knot... by the sounds of it you must be "Brent Krahn" or his brother/sister, dad/mom, agent, lover - if you aren't anyone of those people in his life then just RELAX! It's just someone's (a strangers) opinion of a marginal player :shakehead

And an uninformed opinion at that!!!!!!

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
rinkrat13 said:

Well then that's even more idiotic than calling him a bust now. What had you so convinced? Did you notice he improved the year after he was drafted? Did you factor that in?

rinkrat13 said:

Sorry, the reverse argument does not work because I have not claimed Krahn will definitely be a starter. I haven't made any bold statements on the subject, you are the one who stepped out and called him a bust. For the record I take a wait and see approach with guys I haven't seen enough to be super confident about. I predicted Saprykin would definitely be a top two line NHLer because I had seen him enough to be completely confident in that prediction. Krahn is not guaranteed to make the NHL but neither is he guaranteed not to make the NHL. Thus my problem with your statement. Based on what I've seen of him I think he has NHL potential. He's big and athletic and somewhat raw. Because of that I believe it'll probably be a few years before he's even close to ready.

rinkrat13 said:

Well if you haven't seen much of him live then no, you aren't as qualified to comment on him. I've seen him a fair bit with the Hitmen and I've watched him in the past few training camps. If you've seen more of him then you're more qualified to comment than I am.

rinkrat13 said:
It's just someone's (a strangers) opinion of a marginal player :shakehead

Time will tell if he's "marginal" or not.

Since you seem so confident in your assessment of him why don't you tell us exactly what part of his game will prevent him from becoming an NHL calibre goaltender? I would be interested to hear if your opinion is based on anything.

Last edited:

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I fail to see how it's urgent for the Flames to use their first round pick on a goaltender

If a goalie is the BPA, sure....but as someone pointed out with only one pick in the first three rounds (as of right now, I predict this will change) I don't think Sutter about to grab whatever goalie is lying around

We have a good young starter right now and at least three or four options for the future (none are sure things I agree)

plus Giguere/Denis/Kiprusoff/Hedberg etc has shown that spending a 2nd rounder can probably get you an acceptable goalie from another organization with numbers issues

Hardly seems urgent to spend a top 20 pick on a goalie this year

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
rinkrat13 said:

So that's your proof? And that had you convinced even before he was drafted?

Way to dodge the hard questions. When somebody actually calls you on how you formulated your opinion you run to hide.

About as much as I expected. Doesn't sound like you're too informed on Krahn when you have to resort to a link like that to back you up. I wrote prospect profiles for the Forecaster for a couple of years (and yes, I did profile Krahn). So excuse me if I don't take that link as being more informed than my opinion on Krahn.

rinkrat13

Nov 27, 2003
Toronto
So that's your proof? And that had you convinced even before he was drafted?

Way to dodge the hard questions. When somebody actually calls you on how you formulated your opinion you run to hide.

About as much as I expected. Doesn't sound like you're too informed on Krahn when you have to resort to a link like that to back you up. I wrote prospect profiles for the Forecaster for a couple of years (and yes, I did profile Krahn). So excuse me if I don't take that link as being more informed than my opinion on Krahn.

its people like you that give these kinda boards a bad name - who do you think you are making assumptions abuot someone you don't even know? you have NO idea who I am - for all you know I wrote that for the forecaster, or even better, a scout in someone's organization - you have no idea!

so, keep your assumptions to yourself cuz I don't want to make you look stupid.
peace out

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
The Calgary Sun's Eric Francis was on the Joe and Kevin Radio Show in Calgary and said that it's unlikely that Krahn will make it to the NHL anytime soon, if ever.

DR. Holiday

rinkrat13 said:
its people like you that give these kinda boards a bad name - who do you think you are making assumptions abuot someone you don't even know? you have NO idea who I am - for all you know I wrote that for the forecaster, or even better, a scout in someone's organization - you have no idea!

peace out

lol

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
rinkrat13 said:

peace out

Still waiting for your answer about what part of his game will hold him back from the NHL level. I know a scout or a someone who's seen a lot of him would be able to answer that wouldn't they?

I think you would gladly make me look stupid if you could. Unfortunately the only one looking stupid is the guy calling him a bust and then dodging any question that relates to his on ice play...

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
The Calgary Sun's Eric Francis was on the Joe and Kevin Radio Show in Calgary and said that it's unlikely that Krahn will make it to the NHL anytime soon, if ever.

Francis barely knows Flames hockey and knows nothing of Flames prospects. Have you ever listened to this guy on the Fan960? Granted his Sun columns have gotten better over the past couple years but excuse me if I don't consider him an expert on someone who played this year in Vegas, Lowell and San Antonio.

flamesfan12

Jul 20, 2003
Beaumont
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:

Yeah because Francis knows what he's talking about. :lol

I don't think we desperatly need a goaltender and I'd rather go and get another forward with the pick instead of using it on a goaltender.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Francis barely knows Flames hockey and knows nothing of Flames prospects. Have you ever listened to this guy on the Fan960? Granted his Sun columns have gotten better over the past couple years but excuse me if I don't consider him an expert on someone who played this year in Vegas, Lowell and San Antonio.

Francis does talk to Tod Button, Mike Sands, and other members of the Calgary scouting staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->