GDT: Calgary vs Minnesota 8 PM ET

Will the Flames score more than 3 goals tonight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Gaudreau is one of the most taken-for-granted stars we've had. Just wish he'd score more, bet that would happen if he was on the right

He will go down in my mind with Iggy, Theo and Macinnis. Unreal talent.

I’m not saying Johnny is the best player in the game. But I think he’s the most talented.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Gaudreau is one of the most taken-for-granted stars we've had. Just wish he'd score more, bet that would happen if he was on the right

I think he'd be potting a ton more goals if his center was more of a playmaker / play driver. I know most people think of him as a playmaker, but he's probably been more of a goal scorers for most his career:

Look at his goal : assist ratio over his career:
USHL: 36g 36a
NCAA1: 21g 23a
NCAA2: 21g 30a
NCAA3: 36g 44a
NHL1: 25g 40a
NHL2: 30g 48a

It wasn't until GG that his goal totals started to fall off.

NHL3: 18g 43a
NHL4: 25g 72a*

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think he'd be potting a ton more goals if his center was more of a playmaker / play driver. I know most people think of him as a playmaker, but he's probably been more of a goal scorers for most his career:

Look at his goal : assist ratio over his career:
USHL: 36g 36a
NCAA1: 21g 23a
NCAA2: 21g 30a
NCAA3: 36g 44a
NHL1: 25g 40a
NHL2: 30g 48a

It wasn't until GG that his goal totals started to fall off.

NHL3: 18g 43a
NHL4: 25g 72a*
I think someone like Tkachuk or Bennett on his line would certainly help

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I’m not suggesting to move Bennett back to C at this moment, but it would be incorrect to assume he will never be successful there. From a pure developmental standpoint, it might be best to bring him along as a winger in the early stages of his career. Once he matures and rounds his game out, he could shift back later on down the road and perhaps find more positive results.

For the time being though, I see no reason to make a change.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
This team is awesome at even strength. However our special teams are a train wreck, the PP just doesn't generate anything and on the PK I think Backlund-Bennett should be the first forwards Brouwer is far too passive for my liking.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

It is interesting, but Brouwer still plays a larger role in the PK than those two. In fact, Brouwer's PK responsibilities have increased recently with Frolik out.

I agree with Dack that Bennett should get more time. He's such a bulldog out there and is more capable of applying pressure with his skating than is Brouwer.

Reactions: Dack

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It is interesting, but Brouwer still plays a larger role in the PK than those two. In fact, Brouwer's PK responsibilities have increased recently with Frolik out.

I agree with Dack that Bennett should get more time. He's such a bulldog out there and is more capable of applying pressure with his skating than is Brouwer.
Bennett being a "bulldog" is also why he is more unreliable on the PK, he gets over aggressive and it gets him out of position. Brouwer is less aggressive, but doesn't get himself out of position as often as a result. Brouwer only seems to have trouble on the PK when paired with Stajan.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Bennett being a "bulldog" is also why he is more unreliable on the PK, he gets over aggressive and it gets him out of position. Brouwer is less aggressive, but doesn't get himself out of position as often as a result. Brouwer only seems to have trouble on the PK when paired with Stajan.
Possible, but Stajan also had a great PK tonight too. Confusing world. :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Possible, but Stajan also had a great PK tonight too. Confusing world. :laugh:
It's as a pairing they don't seem to work well, both are good penalty killers individually, but as a unit I feel their weaknesses are too similar, so it weakens them too much overall.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
The real most underrated star on this team sure isn't Johnny. It is undoubtedly Mike Smith...Guy is hands down our MVP this year and gets very little love from fans. We don't even have to worry about the net anymore, haven't had that since Kipper. It feels nice to worry about other problems for once, like our embarrassment of a PP.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Monahan has a great game and fans begin opining for bennett at centre.

The same Bennett that had 0 points in 18 games at centre. The same one who looked completely lost.
The same Bennett who now has 16 points in the 24 games he's played at wing. Who looks dominant in board battles and is a hound on the puck. Who makes a great COMPLIMENTARY player to Jankowski.

Bennett is a winger, I'm not sure why we're all dead set on saddling him with defensive responsibilities.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
He's struggled when centering scrubs. He's looked great when centering actual talent (Gaudreau).

While I do agree, it was a very very small sample size. I think Bennett is far more suited for the wing though.

If/when the top line goes cold again, I wouldn't mind trying this;

Tkachuk - Monahan - Ferland
Gaudreau - Jankowski - Bennett
Mangiapane - Backlund - Frolik
Lazar - Hrivik - Hathaway
Brouwer rotates in/out on the 4th line.

Somewhat unrelated, but I'd really like to see Mangiapane with Backlund and Frolik once Frolik is back. Slot Tkachuk with Bennett and Jankowski.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Bennett as a winger doesn't mean a fail. It seriously just means he joins a relatively long list of players from that same draft who look to be wingers for the forseeable future. I think Bennett and much of the draft will bloom late in terms of rounding out their games. All those guys have a heck of a lot of talent.

Reactions: Skobel24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad