GDT: Calgary @ Vegas: Viva Rock Vegas 2:00MT SN360 and SNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
I want to have just one team in Calgary where we're all about scoring. Couldn't give a **** if every game is 10-8.

Let's be the first team with 4 forwards and 1 D man.
Well we basically had that under Hartley. And apart from that 2015 hot streak those teams were worse than what we have now, but man they were a lot more fun to watch.

Reactions: Sk8M8

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Well we basically had that under Hartley. And apart from that 2015 hot streak those teams were worse than what we have now, but man they were a lot more fun to watch.

2015-16 Flames were a better team of skaters than the 2017-18 Flames. People forget Brodie missed some games early in the season that put us out to a poor start, and none of the goalies from that year every played an NHL game again.

Anyways, this loss sucked because it felt like every other loss this season. Another game where you carry the play and piss it away in a few seconds. The last two losses were on goaltending but I thought Smith was alright today. Better question would be why we're playing someone everyone says is injured on our top line while he does a poltergeist act.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

I just care about enjoyment for the most part. Of course if I had a Caps team that can't get it done in the playoffs year after year I might not see it that way.

I hate to sound like an old sage pulling out 80s talk, but the last consistent high scoring teams we had ended around 89-90. Nineties were all about a crumbling franchise and ever since about the mid nineties scoring goals has been a problem. Maybe a slight upturn from about 2002 to 2004 off the top of my head.

But I'd just for once like to be a top 3 goals for team. For awhile too.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014

Can't wait to see how Bartkowski will fix everything

Honestly a playoff run in Stockton might be better for the young guys then playing 12 minutes a game up here because Gulutzan won't play them.

If Stockton falls put of the race callup anybody with any hope for an NHL future and let them play the last 4 games or so.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Better question would be why we're playing someone everyone says is injured on our top line while he does a poltergeist act.

I know he is your favorite but the team is full of disappearing acts: Bennett, Jankowski, Ferland, Brodie, Stone, Hamonic all played like shit for extended time also.

And that's not counting guys that shouldnt be in the NHL like Hathaway, Stajan, Brouwer and Lazar.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Gonna add one more thing . . . I could see our team going on a tear once we're for all intents and purposes out of it. Like winning 4 out of last 5 or last 3 in a row. With pressure off we'll look like world-beaters.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Gonna add one more thing . . . I could see our team going on a tear once we're for all intents and purposes out of it. Like winning 4 out of last 5 or last 3 in a row. With pressure off we'll look like world-beaters.

Fine by me. Rather finish strong than finish mentally broken. Aside from lacking a true #1C (well, Bennett is one but isn't played as one) this is a cup contending roster that has had a season from hell. Worst thing that could happen is a teardown where you trade away quality players because the team is broke.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Fine by me. Rather finish strong than finish mentally broken. Aside from lacking a true #1C (well, Bennett is one but isn't played as one) this is a cup contending roster that has had a season from hell. Worst thing that could happen is a teardown where you trade away quality players because the team is broke.
Would rather not finish on a tear and give management the false impression that Gulutzan has magically figured shit out in the final stretch.

When has Treliving ever given the impression that he would trade away quality players in a panic move?

This team isn't a Cup contender.

Other related comments about the usual Bennett swill.

Moving on.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Eh, without a first round pick, the more games they win down the stretch the better. Don't see Treliving getting fooled by meaningless hockey given how much he's spoken out against that in the past (e.g. Colborne). He traded an unprotected first thinking the playoffs were essentially a given and not reaching that fairly simple goal bodes poorly for Gulutzan; a strong finish won't or least shouldn't change that.

The only potentially aggravating thing will be watching Gulutzan open things up and seeing how much better the players will look for it.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
When has Treliving ever given the impression that he would trade away quality players in a panic move?.

When have the Flames had an end of season meltdown under Treliving?

I don't think how we finish the season affects Gulutzan. His fate will be evaluated thoroughly. But if the roster starts showing mental leaks moves might be made to address perceived culuture shortcomings. Moves that may be permanently damaging.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The remaining games probably won’t affect Gully’s fate. I’ve heard some of Trelivings comments before the deadline and he didn’t move assets because he had doubts this was not a playoff team. Well that’s almost 100% confirmed now. I think Treliving will do his diligence when the season is over and make the right move.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
For sure, adding I’m okay with. I am just not sure we should move Bennett or Brodie, depending on the deal.

On the mainboard I suggested:

Ferland, Brodie, Dube for Simmonds and Gudas.

I would do this.
I don't wanna even entertain moving Brodie until we see him on the right side again.

The top 4 Right Dman we were looking for was right under our nose. He's just not right-handed

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I don't wanna even entertain moving Brodie until we see him on the right side again.

The top 4 Right Dman we were looking for was right under our nose. He's just not right-handed

I would give Brodie the benefit of the doubt if the mistakes he was making we pucks bouncing over his stick or bad passes because he is turning all the time but for the most part he was just constantly out of position or just leaving guys wide open. I have a hard time seeing that as being on the wrong side. The numerous terrible pinches also seem tough to blame on him being on the wrong side.

Beavski24

Aug 10, 2012
Calgary
He’s not close to being their best player. There’s also a reason there’s talk of trading him.

Giroux, Voracek, Couturier, Patrick, Konency are all priorities to keep over Simmonds.
Good luck getting him for what you offer. 30 other teams would put forth a real offer

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Guys. We put 42 shots on net today. Smith just had a bad period. You don't need to blow up the f***ing team.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Problem is about four of those shots were legit scoring opportunities. (maybe five, maybe fewer, but there sure weren't a lot)
There were more than a half dozen. I definitely think we had more than they did all game. But we don't score on our chances lately,so quantity doesn't matter.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Isn't hilarious that for how cow dung we've been if two top teams in Washington and Winnipeg can help us out and beat the Kings/Stars tonight in regulation and we beat the Yotes we are only two points out?

Also look at St Louis; they were dead in the water and have gone 4-1 in last five and are right there

For all my whining (lol) in the last week about this team I still have faint hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad