GDT: Calgary @ Vancouver - 8 PM SN1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
2 game possession sample sizes aren't really indicative of anything.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Really wish people would stop calling +/- for shots and shot attempts "possession". Possession can only be calculated in time

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Same old from Kylington from what I’ve seen.

90% of the game he looks like an NHLer. But every game there are two monumental mistakes he makes that end up in the back of our net.

Valimaki is light years ahead of him defensively, although I admit Valimaki will likely need a year in the AHL to adjust to the pro game.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

90% of the game he looks like an NHLer. But every game there are two monumental mistakes he makes that end up in the back of our net.

Valimaki is light years ahead of him defensively, although I admit Valimaki will likely need a year in the AHL to adjust to the pro game.
The bold is exactly what I've been telling people. It's always a bad giveaway at the offensive blue line from a poor decision

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I agree, but I suspect Kylington's moved at the deadline though. I think we will move Kylington+ for a deadline acquisition as I see Valimaki surpassing him this year and Andersson & Kulak still being ahead of him. Since he'll be waiver eligible next year, I think he'd be a logical prospect to move to a rebuilding team.
Kylington to Ottawa for Stone + Book it.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
CHLers are often among the last cuts because they feel an NHL camp means more for development than October CHL games. AHLers get cut quicker because they want them to go down the the AHL camp. At one point Keegan Danzig was a late cut.

It was widely agreed among the Flames fan base that Dube was fantastic in the pre-season last year and we were all surprised he didn't make the team out of camp.

Even Gaudreau said he was surprised Dube didn't make the team outta camp last year so lets not go comparing Dube to Kanzig

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
It was widely agreed among the Flames fan base that Dube was fantastic in the pre-season last year and we were all surprised he didn't make the team out of camp.

Even Gaudreau said he was surprised Dube didn't make the team outta camp last year so lets not go comparing Dube to Kanzig

I may be misremembering but I do not think the bolded is true at all.

Some may have been surprised but I think the majority of the sentiment was that he had a good camp and people were excited to see what he would develop into.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I may be misremembering but I do not think the bolded is true at all.

Some may have been surprised but I think the majority of the sentiment was that he had a good camp and people were excited to see what he would develop into.

I would say it's hyperbole; Dube looked good and lots of people thought he could hang, but I think everyone understood why allowing him to simmer a bit longer wasn't a bad thing.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

He's improved overall, to me from when we saw him last, but still not completely put together. The fact he costs goals hurts his chance to stick.
Like, it's shitty, because he seems so close... but this league is filled with stories of guys who were so close. His play is confident, then all of the sudden he's making a brutal read/play in his own end or at the offensive blue line. It has to do with him always wanting to create something. If he let the game come to him, he'd be 100% more effective.

Valimaki is light years ahead of him defensively, and has likely the same offensive IQ. Kylington is miles ahead in skating and creativity... but it doesn't matter when you're a liability. I don't think most people noticed, but Valimaki was being killed in terms of defensive responsibilities. He was being used as Calgary's 1D, playing 25 minutes a night and like 4 minutes SH too. It's why I think he has a chance to go really deep at camp; I think he'll be the final cut... just because of how deep Calgary is. So far his play has been similar to what we've seen from our bottom pair. It'll certainly entice me to purchase AHL if he's sent down with Doobs and Mangi (three high quality NHL prospects, but hey, 29th overall prospects pool amirite?).

Kylington still has a fantastic ceiling, and is still young enough to reach it. But he needs to improve that thinking. Like, this kid'll never be Karlsson, but I don't see why he can't carve out a Leddy type career if he starts thinking at a higher level.

Reactions: Cyrano

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I would say it's hyperbole; Dube looked good and lots of people thought he could hang, but I think everyone understood why allowing him to simmer a bit longer wasn't a bad thing.

I said last camp and told people to quote me when I said, "if Dube doesn't make the team next year something went horribly wrong". He looked mature back then and looks even better now. This kid is a stud.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I said last camp and told people to quote me when I said, "if Dube doesn't make the team next year something went horribly wrong". He looked mature back then and looks even better now. This kid is a stud.

He looked like he had some filling out to do to keep up with NHL forwards last camp imo. He's definitely in a better physical condition to last the rigors of professional hockey, at NHL or AHL level.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
He looked like he had some filling out to do to keep up with NHL forwards last camp imo. He's definitely in a better physical condition to last the rigors of professional hockey, at NHL or AHL level.

He was always pretty good at winning board battles and carrying the puck in the offensive zone against other junior-level talent but he's managing to show that he can play the same sort of grinding game against men. Pretty exciting.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
With all these players knocking on the door, Lazar has his work cut out for him
I'm actually really hoping that Lazar gets waived down to Stockton. I think a season of playing top line minutes in the AHL will do a world of good for his confidence. He's a good player... he's just been rushed into the NHL and his game shows it.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
My favourite thing is Ottawa adding :laugh:
Even though I would love to have Mark Stone on the team I just don't see how the Flames could afford to pay his salary this year, let alone what he'll demand next year. The Flames only have $2.5M cap space and Tkachuk's ELC expires next summer, and then there's Bennett to resign.... and who knows what the goalie situation will be. Trying to trade for Stone is a real Chiarelli type of move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad