Hanifin
Hamonic
Andersson
Valimaki
Stone
Kulak
Prout
Kylington

That all said, Kulak and Stone were a good pair last year and just struggled mightily in one game. Valimaki has come as advertised and has the overall best D in the 4 NA games.

Literally spots 5-8 could change any rank during preseason.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I haven’t watched any of the Calgary games, but disappointing to hear about Kylington. I really thought he was going to show some maturity in his game.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
After one game, which is tough:

Giordano
Brodie
Hanifin
Hamonic
Andersson
Valimaki
Stone
Kulak
Prout
Kylington

That all said, Kulak and Stone were a good pair last year and just struggled mightily in one game. Valimaki has come as advertised and has the overall best D in the 4 NA games.

Literally spots 5-8 could change any rank during preseason.

So if Valimaki continues to be in his current position at the end of the pre-season, does that mean:

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Stone/Andersson?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Valimaki reminds me of Kulak so far. Completely unnoticeable (can be a good thing) except for when he gets burned every now and then. He could use a year in Stockton

Reactions: Rockmorton

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Glad to see that Rittich redeemed himself. Parson impressed me again. Based on Dube's play in preseason so far, I fully expect to see him on the opening night roster. Whether he stays there or not is another question. I doubt we'll see Lazar there this year. Not sure yet about Mangiapane. Not expecting to see any of the PTO's there. Lots of good options for the 3rd and 4th lines this year... unlike last when we had a bunch of plugs there to start the season. Not sure whats going to happen with Hathaway or Peluso. I expect Andersson to make the D. Stone, Andersson, and Kulak most likely to be #5, #6, and #7.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Valimaki reminds me of Kulak so far. Completely unnoticeable (can be a good thing) except for when he gets burned every now and then. He could use a year in Stockton

In two preseason games the guy has 3 points, positive possession and logging a tonne of minutes. His game is quiet. He’ll get beat by an NHLer like he did tonight. Easy to forget the kid’s 19 years old still.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I hope Juuso is top pairing in the A then.

If he goes to Stockton, there’s no doubt he’ll be on the top pair. Essentially he’ll take Rasmus’ role, and they’ll use one of these PTO plugs on a two way as the other top D.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
In two preseason games the guy has 3 points, positive possession and logging a tonne of minutes. His game is quiet. He’ll get beat by an NHLer like he did tonight. Easy to forget the kid’s 19 years old still.
I personally don't see a lot that separates him and Kylington at this point. Andersson looks head and shoulders above both so far

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I haven’t watched any of the Calgary games, but disappointing to hear about Kylington. I really thought he was going to show some maturity in his game.
Kylington had a good game. A couple of mistakes but was largely better than Valimaki tonight. Both will likely spend the year in Stockton though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Both will likely spend the year in Stockton though.
I agree, but I suspect Kylington's moved at the deadline though. I think we will move Kylington+ for a deadline acquisition as I see Valimaki surpassing him this year and Andersson & Kulak still being ahead of him. Since he'll be waiver eligible next year, I think he'd be a logical prospect to move to a rebuilding team.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I agree, but I suspect Kylington's moved at the deadline though. I think we will move Kylington+ for a deadline acquisition as I see Valimaki surpassing him this year and Andersson & Kulak still being ahead of him. Since he'll be waiver eligible next year, I think he'd be a logical prospect to move to a rebuilding team.
I think Kulak's days are numbered as a Flame. Our depth on the left side becomes decimated if we move Kylington too

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think Kulak's days are numbered as a Flame. Our depth on the left side becomes decimated if we move Kylington too
If Kylington isn't NHL ready by the deadline.... and I don't mean he looks okay, but ready to be a contributor on a team that we think can contend soon. Then we have to trade him or risk him on waivers. I'd rather trade him and sign a replacement in the offseason.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If Kylington isn't NHL ready by the deadline.... and I don't mean he looks okay, but ready to be a contributor on a team that we think can contend soon. Then we have to trade him or risk him on waivers. I'd rather trade him and sign a replacement in the offseason.
I think management would love for him to take that spot from Kulak so they could let him go in the offseason or even ship him off for a late pick. It's now up to him to have a monster season like Andersson did.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think management would love for him to take that spot from Kulak so they could let him go in the offseason or even ship him off for a late pick. It's now up to him to have a monster season like Andersson did.
I think Kulak will be far and away a better NHL player. It would be great if Kylington magically grew a brain, but I don't foresee that happening.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I suspect if they're in a position to make a move, they'll look at Kulak first, especially with Andersson right there. With Kylington, there's still another year of cost controlled waiver exemption status after this one while Kulak is just coming off an almost contentious negotiation to get a one year deal.

But unless the Flames are running away with the division, and even then, I don't Treliving makes an 'all in' type of move at the deadline. It's too soon. Just one or two depth deals to add maybe an extra top nine veteran forward or more depth on defense and neither of those should be too expensive.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I suspect if they're in a position to make a move, they'll look at Kulak first, especially with Andersson right there. With Kylington, there's still another year of cost controlled waiver exemption status after this one while Kulak is just coming off an almost contentious negotiation to get a one year deal.

But unless the Flames are running away with the division, and even then, I don't Treliving makes an 'all in' type of move at the deadline. It's too soon. Just one or two depth deals to add maybe an extra top nine veteran forward or more depth on defense and neither of those should be too expensive.
I was thinking he had just 1 more season of waiver eligibility, him turning pro at 18 confused me in that regard. But you are correct, he is still waiver exempt for this season and next, so I would not trade him as easily.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Vali still is fairly raw as a defender based on watching him, in my opinion of course. He wants to make the offensive play and move the puck up the ice, but his positioning isn't solid enough and he takes a lot of risks in the d-zone and gets caught a lot, mostly on rushes and quick break downs.

I think a year in the AHL would do him wonders, then push next year with a year of pro under his belt.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

I get that three points are nice, but I don't know if any of his points were especially sustainable/repeatable going into the season, maybe the Phillips goal I guess. One of those points was Valimaki taking a shot from the blue line and having it blocked, only for Dube to corral it and score from the high slot. Another was a garbage empty net goal after the Canucks basically throw the puck away and quit playing.

And I find it weird you have Valimaki so high yet Kylington dead last while noting Valimaki has "positive" possession in these two games.

Kylington
58.07% CF (+7.29% Rel)
62.32% FF (+13.09% Rel)
63.54% SCF (+20.24% Rel)

Valimaki
50.42% CF (-5.43% Rel)
47.46% FF (-11.55% Rel)
46.79% SCF% (-7.59% Rel)

I think Kylington was more effective overall, but people see him make one fancy play at the offensive blue line and the narrative is already written with him. I saw Kylington do some especially impressive things, like outmuscling Alex Chiasson for the puck, and generally being steady and using his feet and skills to keep the game flowing. I don't think he was as good as he can be of course, in fact I thought he was much better last year in preseason on the offensive side of things, but having him dead last behind guys like Prout/Stone is just baffling.

Last edited:

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I get that three points are nice, but I don't know if any of his points were especially sustainable/repeatable going into the season, maybe the Phillips goal I guess. One of those points was Valimaki taking a shot from the blue line and having it blocked, only for Dube to corral it and score from the high slot. Another was a garbage empty net goal after the Canucks basically throw the puck away and quit playing.

And I find it weird you have Valimaki so high yet Kylington dead last while noting Valimaki has "positive" possession in these two games.

Kylington
58.07% CF (+7.29% Rel)
62.32% FF (+13.09% Rel)
63.54% SCF (+20.24% Rel)

Valimaki
50.42% CF (-5.43% Rel)
47.46% FF (-11.55% Rel)
46.79% SCF% (-7.59% Rel)

I think Kylington was more effective overall, but people see him make one fancy play at the offensive blue line and the narrative is already written with him. I saw Kylington do some especially impressive things, like outmuscling Alex Chiasson for the puck, and generally being steady and using his feet and skills to keep the game flowing. I don't think he was as good as he can be of course, in fact I thought he was much better last year in preseason on the offensive side of things, but having him dead last behind guys like Prout/Stone is just baffling.

Where do you get these stats from? Can never find pre-season advanced stats anywhere.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Kylington
58.07% CF (+7.29% Rel)
62.32% FF (+13.09% Rel)
63.54% SCF (+20.24% Rel)

Valimaki
50.42% CF (-5.43% Rel)
47.46% FF (-11.55% Rel)
46.79% SCF% (-7.59% Rel)

He's simply looked bad.
His entire job this preseason was to win a job on the bottom pair for Calgary. On the bottom pair, we simply can't afford a guy who whenever you notice him, is because he's made a bad pinch or turned the puck over in a horrible spot.

I understand the ceiling on Kylington, and wanting him to look like an absolute beast out there; because he has a skillset that rare other players do... instead he looks very questionable. His defensive positioning isn't overly sound. Even compared to Valimaki, their defending is more than comparable (in fact, Valimaki was used as the 1D last night, Kylington a 4), it shows even worse when you realize one's been playing professional hockey for 3 years and the other will make his pro debut this season.

Dunno. I haven't seen a lot of strong play from him, and I've been keying into him. I simply have him below the other guys right now, because the other guys have had one game, and they've looked mediocre. Kylington's on game 3 or 4 now, and in each one he's looked below average all things considered.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Watching Kylington it is pretty easy to see why he was ranked so high early on as at times he looks great but then it is very easy to see why he dropped as those plays are few and far between and the in between play is made up of a lot more bad than good.

He hasn't been able to jump over, or look better, than the bottom guys like Kulak or even Prout and he is definitely now been passed by a guy like Valimaki.

There is nothing wrong with having him as depth in the AHL but it is hard to see a fit for him on the NHL team with the amount of bone head mistakes he makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad