Proposal: Calgary - Ottawa

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
To Ottawa:

Michael Stone and Troy Brouwer

To Calgary:

Zack Smith and Chris Wideman

Stone going to Ottawa might help the negotiations with his brother, Brouwer could use a change as could Smith. Calgary gives up the best players but they need cap relief.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Don't like this for the Flames. Would rather avoid Smith and just trade Stone for picks -- or, if anything, keep Stone and trade Kulak.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Too much money coming Ottawa's way. I also don't think management would trade a player right after extending him as a UFA. I could perhaps see something around Smith and Brouwer but I suspect both parties would rather find a different way of dealing with the contracts.

If Ottawa loses Karlsson or Ceci, I could see them having interest in Stone, though, if the price is low. Assuming Gaborik is going on LTIR, maybe something like Gaborik (LTIR = 0 cap hit) and a 'meh' asset for Stone.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Smith's contract is longer than Brouwer's and Stone isn't just being given away. I'd pass from Calgary.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Ottawa has no reason to trade Wideman. Smith could be dealt for a pick or we could just keep him. We certainly don’t need Brouwer. Easy pass for me.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Both teams say no. But it's worse for Ottawa. Stone and Smith are basically a wash, both salary and value wise. Wideman is by far the best player in the deal and much, much better than Brouwer. He'll easily be in the top 4 this year (not saying much if Karl is gone but still).

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Both teams say no. But it's worse for Ottawa. Stone and Smith are basically a wash, both salary and value wise. Wideman is by far the best player in the deal and much, much better than Brouwer. He'll easily be in the top 4 this year (not saying much if Karl is gone but still).
Stone is as good or better than Wideman, the way he gets underrated on HF is baffling to me.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

Wideman won't be in the top 4 unless Karlsson is gone. He might break the 15 minute per game mark, but I doubt it.

Stone is the best player in the deal, not Wideman.

Stone is as good or better than Wideman, the way he gets underrated on HF is baffling to me.

Its because he's overpaid and best suited to the 3rd pair. Doesn't change the fact that he's a steady and somewhat versatile RD who can step up in a pinch. Value is one thing, but ability is a whole other thing altogether.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Its because he's overpaid and best suited to the 3rd pair. Doesn't change the fact that he's a steady and somewhat versatile RD who can step up in a pinch. Value is one thing, but ability is a whole other thing altogether.
Stone is a 4-5 defenseman and 3.5 million is the going rate for them. So, he's really not overpaid. Stone is a great guy to have slide into the top 4 when you have an injury and as you mentioned, he is versatile, he showed this past season he can play the left side as well.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Stone is a 4-5 defenseman and 3.5 million is the going rate for them. So, he's really not overpaid. Stone is a great guy to have slide into the top 4 when you have an injury.

I should have put overpaid in quotation marks. He is seen as overpaid. He might be 500k overpaid but it's not egregious. I agree with your general assessment, though, and tried to indicate as much - he's an ideal #5 but has no problem sliding into the top 4. A clear upgrade on Wideman - if there wasn't uncertainty around Karlsson, I think we might have let him walk. I'd be happy to have Stone in Ottawa, he would take a ton of the pressure off of Ceci. We have typically played our 3RD 12-14 mins whereas Stone can easily do 17-19.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I should have put overpaid in quotation marks. He is seen as overpaid. He might be 500k overpaid but it's not egregious. I agree with your general assessment, though, and tried to indicate as much - he's an ideal #5 but has no problem sliding into the top 4. A clear upgrade on Wideman - if there wasn't uncertainty around Karlsson, I think we might have let him walk. I'd be happy to have Stone in Ottawa, he would take a ton of the pressure off of Ceci. We have typically played our 3RD 12-14 mins whereas Stone can easily do 17-19.
I appreciate the candor, it's nice to see someone being objective. I am personally happy having Stone in the fold in Calgary, he provides good insurance and if Rasmus Andersson has a solid camp, Stone can slide over and push Kulak down to the 7 hole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad