Proposal: Calgary-Nashville

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Man how long have I not made one of these proposals? Don't worry though it won't be as common as before haha.

Sean "Boring" Monahan for Ryan "Ryo-San" Johansen.

Calgary gets the better player that's RHS but takes on a slightly higher cap hit. I feel part of the reason Johansen has been reluctant to shoot is due to playing with two sniper wingers, especially one on his off side (Forsberg). Put him with Gaudreau, and he'll probably shoot a lot more and he'd connect Gaudreau's pass way better than Monahan would. Likewise Monahan is more of a scorer because his teammates usually aren't snipers. If his team mates are more sniper like, he can drive the line better as more of a playmaker than what he has shown currently.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
No. Flames need the good scorer. Gaudreau is one of best playmakers in the league.

I also don't know what makes RyJo the clearly better player here. Monahan is one of the most consistent goal scorers in the league. Even with his injuries he outplayed Johansen this year.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
As you said, Johansen has two shooters on his line. Though Monahan definitely has playmaking abilities, it seems to me that if we added him in Joey's place the line would become closer to being one dimensional. I'd be concerned with messing up pretty good chemistry on the JOFA line.

That said, Monahan is a couple of years younger than Joey, and he is a bit cheaper. My only concern beyond chemistry would be getting a bit smaller. Joey has Monahan by about 30 pounds. That extra weigh comes in handy during the playoffs.

I don't know. I'd probably turn it down from the Nashville perspective, but I certainly would have to think it over for a while.

Calgary doesn't do it though.

edit: a bit off topic, but I think the only trades Nashville needs to make for the next couple of years are trades that bring in draft picks. The team is solid right now. Eventually, we won't be able to pay everyone, and our pipeline isn't exactly great right now.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I think if this base was to be made, it'd be RyJo + 1st/Tolv for Monahan + 3rd/B level(Kylington)

Something like that would need to be in there to equal out the value in contract and age, the pieces I put in are just examples i don't think that trade would work for either team though, I like this offer a lot more than the 4th OA one

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I think if this base was to be made, it'd be RyJo + 1st/Tolv for Monahan + 3rd/B level(Kylington)

Something like that would need to be in there to equal out the value in contract and age, the pieces I put in are just examples i don't think that trade would work for either team though, I like this offer a lot more than the 4th OA one

The difference between Johansen and Monahan is nowhere close to Tolvanen. They're pretty close in value, Johansen's a better playmaker but a bit older, Monahan's a better goal scorer.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Doesn't make sense. Doesn't address the weakness on the Flames. Flames have trouble scoring... so trade away their top goal scorer?

I don't think so.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Man how long have I not made one of these proposals? Don't worry though it won't be as common as before haha.

Sean "Boring" Monahan for Ryan "Ryo-San" Johansen.

Calgary gets the better player that's RHS but takes on a slightly higher cap hit. I feel part of the reason Johansen has been reluctant to shoot is due to playing with two sniper wingers, especially one on his off side (Forsberg). Put him with Gaudreau, and he'll probably shoot a lot more and he'd connect Gaudreau's pass way better than Monahan would. Likewise Monahan is more of a scorer because his teammates usually aren't snipers. If his team mates are more sniper like, he can drive the line better as more of a playmaker than what he has shown currently.

Disagree with the bold part. Guess the deal isn't disastrous but no need for both team to do this, especially if you already have the better player.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
As you said, Johansen has two shooters on his line. Though Monahan definitely has playmaking abilities, it seems to me that if we added him in Joey's place the line would become closer to being one dimensional. I'd be concerned with messing up pretty good chemistry on the JOFA line.

That said, Monahan is a couple of years younger than Joey, and he is a bit cheaper. My only concern beyond chemistry would be getting a bit smaller. Joey has Monahan by about 30 pounds. That extra weigh comes in handy during the playoffs.

I don't know. I'd probably turn it down from the Nashville perspective, but I certainly would have to think it over for a while.

Calgary doesn't do it though.

edit: a bit off topic, but I think the only trades Nashville needs to make for the next couple of years are trades that bring in draft picks. The team is solid right now. Eventually, we won't be able to pay everyone, and our pipeline isn't exactly great right now.

Honestly, even having just Tolvanen and Fabbro coming up makes the prospect pool enviable to a lot of teams

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Honestly, even having just Tolvanen and Fabbro coming up makes the prospect pool enviable to a lot of teams

As great as they seem, this team is facing a danger soon. There is absolutely no way to pin their hopes on two prospects without being unreasonable.

Reactions: Viqsi

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
As great as they seem, this team is facing a danger soon. There is absolutely no way to pin their hopes on two prospects without being unreasonable.

But I don't think you really have to do that, most of your core is locked up long term. You might lose Ellis and Fiala in the next few years I guess but those imo could be the only significant cap casualties

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
But I don't think you really have to do that, most of your core is locked up long term. You might lose Ellis and Fiala in the next few years I guess but those imo could be the only significant cap casualties

Those are significant losses.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Those are significant losses.

I know that, but even losing those players leaves the roster in very good shape. WAY less than Chicago had to deal with and they came back and won another two cups

EDIT: That's also why I think it may be a good idea for Nashville to move Ellis this offseason if they win the cup. Could probably get a #4/5 D to help replace him and a lottery pick

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
The difference between Johansen and Monahan is nowhere close to Tolvanen. They're pretty close in value, Johansen's a better playmaker but a bit older, Monahan's a better goal scorer.

It wasn't just Tolv, it was a swap of prospects or moving up a bit in a draft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad