Calgary Lames? ("The Simpsons")

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Only reason the show is still on the air is reputation the ratings are terrible.

CILclci.jpg

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That Canadian "out" joke was so weak, how is this show on still?

Curious where this "oot and aboot" thing came from. I've never heard a Canadian say that or pronounce ou as oo either. I have heard Americans pronounce it like aaouwt and abaaout. But that is another story.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I still like some episodes of the later seasons, but now i don't watch them regualry (mostly because the great german voice of homer died).
I like some of the new episodes but a lot of them are meh. Not bad but meh.

But i am a person that likes the subtile humor of the simpsons. To me a show like south park is simply not funny.
I think that a lot of people still like the simpsons but they just bandwaggon on the dislike-train.
I saw that back in middle school. Most guys said the simpsons where crap but hyped south park. but couldn't even explain WHY they disliced the simpsons and what made South park so much better.

On the other side of the argument there are good arguemnts why the simpsons are going through a long time slump, quality wise.
But this video is awesome.

@IamNotADancer
The Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill movies are awesome :D

Just liek the old Asterix movies.

Damn I'm a big Borges fan and I never knew that episode was based on his work. Even the Simpsons' death knell was a phenomenal reference.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Calgary Lames is right, I think the show stole my joke. The Lames have not won anything since the 80’s!!!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
My only political ideology is that esports players and its fans should be put in camps.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Only reason the show is still on the air is reputation the ratings are terrible.

CILclci.jpg

Not sure that IMDB user ratings are really reflective of much.

The only reason it's still on the air is it's profitable for FOX. At mid season it was tied for the highest Nielsen rated scripted show at FOX this season (with Empire). Number 4 overall behind 3 football related properties.

The ratings have dropped way off from it's peak but that's true across the board. In 1990 the highest ranked show on TV got a 21 share, this past season it was only an 11 share. So in general with more viewing options, there are less viewers watching network TV. So yes the viewership is way down from it's peak, but a lot of that is due to the nature of the TV landscape.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Leduc is more like Okotoks, but with less money.

Airdrie's twice the size and closer to Calgary.
Ahh ok. I just remember when I was young, I always got excited when I saw the Airdrie sign because that meant our trip would soon be over lol

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Ahh ok. I just remember when I was young, I always got excited when I saw the Airdrie sign because that meant our trip would soon be over lol

Ya it's closer to everything. Saddledome is 20-25 minutes away.

Just drove passed Leduc this weekend. Still a hell of a drive to get to the mall from Leduc. I can't really remember where the arena is in comparison haha. I was drunk and in the back seat when I went.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
People still complain about people still watching The Simpsons?

I haven't talked about how I haven't seen a good Simpsons episode since 2002 since 2009.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
What made the show great was all the different layers of comedy. They had the Homer J slapstick stuff "D'OH". They had the one liners, they had the absurd, they had the big setups with great punchlines. They had complex story lines they'd sew up in 22 minutes that had all sorts of meta social commentary where they somehow managed to not take a real stance either way politically. Masterfully done show in it's heyday.

I don't know if it's still done the same way, I don't have cable so I haven't watched in a while, but any show that can run for 30 years and address the wide variety of topics the Simpsons has definitely has a range that no other TV show can touch.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Ya it's closer to everything. Saddledome is 20-25 minutes away.

Just drove passed Leduc this weekend. Still a hell of a drive to get to the mall from Leduc. I can't really remember where the arena is in comparison haha. I was drunk and in the back seat when I went.
It's definitely not close lol Still takes a while to get to downtown.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Not sure that IMDB user ratings are really reflective of much.

The only reason it's still on the air is it's profitable for FOX. At mid season it was tied for the highest Nielsen rated scripted show at FOX this season (with Empire). Number 4 overall behind 3 football related properties.

The ratings have dropped way off from it's peak but that's true across the board. In 1990 the highest ranked show on TV got a 21 share, this past season it was only an 11 share. So in general with more viewing options, there are less viewers watching network TV. So yes the viewership is way down from it's peak, but a lot of that is due to the nature of the TV landscape.

Seriously, how many streaming services were there back in the day that would cut into any show's rating?

It's a surprise TV as a whole is able to survive with "TV a la carte" services like Hulu,Prime and Netflix these days.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Take it as a compliment they had the words Calgary in a simpsons episode.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Looks like there's some Oilers fans in the Simpsons writing staff. Fitting for a show that's been totally irrelevant for a couple of decades. :sarcasm:

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I disagree, that piece was very witty man, tons of subtle jokes in there. And Homer's always been a buffoon (can't make a doghouse steps on nail swearjar episode; total buffoon throughout the Frank Grimes episode thus Frank hating him; going way back, the Sasquatch family camping trip episode etc).

Obviously humour is a matter of personal taste. and I'm not going to be able to convince you otherwise, but many people have done some great pieces on how Simpsons jokes are just straight up lazy now.

Homer's stupidity is definitely played up in the Grimes episode, but he doesn't just run into rooms and blurt zany stuff the whole episode:
Homer's Enemy/Quotes

Carl: [to Grimes] You new?
Grimes: Yes. My name is Frank Grimes.
Lenny: I'm Lenny. This is Carl and Homer. I'm Lenny.
Grimes: How do you do?
Homer: [picks up one of Grimes' pencils, spilling the rest onto his desk] Wow, you've got pencils with your name on them -- just like a pencil company executive. I'd give anything for one of these.
Grimes: [tugs the pencil back out of Homer's hand] Any office supply company can have them made up for you.
Homer: Can I have this one? [tries to tug it back]
Grimes: No.
Homer: Can [thinks] Lenny have it? [tries it again]

Where as I feel like in a modern episode he would just run into the room yell something stupid and break the pencils. The Grimes episode was also very self-aware, and a poke at how ridiculous Homer can be. The best comedy writers never take themselves too seriously.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Obviously humour is a matter of personal taste. and I'm not going to be able to convince you otherwise, but many people have done some great pieces on how Simpsons jokes are just straight up lazy now.

Homer's stupidity is definitely played up in the Grimes episode, but he doesn't just run into rooms and blurt zany stuff the whole episode:
Homer's Enemy/Quotes

Carl: [to Grimes] You new?
Grimes: Yes. My name is Frank Grimes.
Lenny: I'm Lenny. This is Carl and Homer. I'm Lenny.
Grimes: How do you do?
Homer: [picks up one of Grimes' pencils, spilling the rest onto his desk] Wow, you've got pencils with your name on them -- just like a pencil company executive. I'd give anything for one of these.
Grimes: [tugs the pencil back out of Homer's hand] Any office supply company can have them made up for you.
Homer: Can I have this one? [tries to tug it back]
Homer: Can [thinks] Lenny have it? [tries it again]

Where as I feel like in a modern episode he would just run into the room yell something stupid and break the pencils. The Grimes episode was also very self-aware, and a poke at how ridiculous Homer can be. The best comedy writers never take themselves too seriously.

Don't get me wrong, I think the pinnacle of the show was in the early to mid-nineties, but I do think the show has made a fairly decent comeback from the real lull of about '99 to somewhere in the mid-to-late 2000s. It's been actually pretty funny still for a number of years when I get the chance to watch it. And I know what you mean that the best comedy writers don't take themselves seriously. That's been the downfall encapsulated in movies like Grown Ups IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad