Calgary Lames? ("The Simpsons")

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
Simpson’s since about 2000 is like watching Willy Mays playing centerfield for the Mets. Something that was once amazing just embarrassing themselves.

Actually, they are closer to someone like Mark Messier on the Canucks. Way past their prime but every now and then they surprise you.

Reactions: 1989

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
One of the Simpsons writers Joel H. Cohen was born in Calgary and went to the University of Alberta in Edmonton. Odds are high he played a factor in this.

There was also this

Calgary is mentioned at around 1:50

And Lisa went to the Spellympics in Calgary.

UpGoesRupp

Jul 18, 2008
British Columbia
Random fact,

Conan O’brien Was a lead writer during the Simpson’s hay days and when he left the show went down. I never found him funny personally but I admire the talent now that I know

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I've heard this argument many times. The glory years of the 90s we're great for sure, but there's lots of hilarity today still.

Exhibit a:

Meh.

This illustrates what's lazy about the show now. The jokes are just obvious. No subtlety. Homer is just a baffoon shouting out random stuff. The new episodes all seem to be overly focused on current events too. They can't master the character based writing of the first decade.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Meh.

This illustrates what's lazy about the show now. The jokes are just obvious. No subtlety. Homer is just a baffoon shouting out random stuff. The new episodes all seem to be overly focused on current events too. They can't master the character based writing of the first decade.
Yup. Seasons 4-8 are some of the best written comedic material ever made for TV. With 6 being the peak.

No longer do we get jokes that last for 30 secs.

They are all quick quips that aren't very funny.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Random fact,

Conan O’brien Was a lead writer during the Simpson’s hay days and when he left the show went down. I never found him funny personally but I admire the talent now that I know

He was the producer on seasons 3-5 and head writer for a grand total of 4 episodes. Most notably the monorail episode. Conan O'Brien was not the main reason the Simpsons used to be great. In fact many of the best seasons were after he left. Season 6 is ranked the best season of the Simpsons on ranker for example.

Reactions: God Bless Mr Gritty

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
"The Simpsons" turns 30 this year, it had a great run but it really should have been cancelled more than a decade ago. I haven't watched a new episode of the show in years.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Simpson’s since about 2000 is like watching Willy Mays playing centerfield for the Mets. Something that was once amazing just embarrassing themselves.

The story of Willie Mays embarrassing himself in the Mets outfield is a myth and is mostly based on one play.

On the other hand, the Simpsons are truly bad. No lie there.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Meh.

I disagree, that piece was very witty man, tons of subtle jokes in there. And Homer's always been a buffoon (can't make a doghouse steps on nail swearjar episode; total buffoon throughout the Frank Grimes episode thus Frank hating him; going way back, the Sasquatch family camping trip episode etc).

Reactions: IamNotADancer

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yup. Seasons 4-8 are some of the best written comedic material ever made for TV. With 6 being the peak.

No longer do we get jokes that last for 30 secs.

They are all quick quips that aren't very funny.

That is just classic comedy on so many levels. That quote, 'He's not even alive--he's dead', just floors me every time.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Not sure what season this was from, but one of my all time fav gags.

f7cjy68.gif

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
"The Simpsons" turns 30 this year, it had a great run but it really should have been cancelled more than a decade ago. I haven't watched a new episode of the show in years.

Then how would you know if it isn't good or not?

I grew up with The Simpsons and am in my late 30s now, my 10 year old son still loves watching them and once in a while I catch a glimpse of an episode when I'm not too busy with work. I don't think much has changed, I still get a chuckle here and there.

I don't know what people are expecting, but people evolve and their humor isn't the same as it was 20 years ago. I used to really be into Bud Spencer and Terence Hill movies when I was a lot younger and thought it was the funniest thing ever, now, when I pick up a DVD with a Spaghetti Western that includes those two guys I'll make sure I watch it alone because the humor is actually quite embarrassing and something people really wouldn't find funny even after 10 beer.

I love Futurama, and The Simpsons but never thought it was really an "in your face" sort of comedy show but more a show that focused on subtle humor that you wouldn't pick up as a kid but appreciate years later.

By contrast, South Park is the dumbest shit I've ever seen. It's just crude toilet humor that requires you to be either hammered or stoned to find it mildly amusing.

In any case, it appears that shitting on classic shows has become "En Vogue", but I dare anyone to come up with anything better today. Most of the crap we see on TV today is just regurgitated garbage.

Reactions: Edenjung

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I still like some episodes of the later seasons, but now i don't watch them regualry (mostly because the great german voice of homer died).
I like some of the new episodes but a lot of them are meh. Not bad but meh.

But i am a person that likes the subtile humor of the simpsons. To me a show like south park is simply not funny.
I think that a lot of people still like the simpsons but they just bandwaggon on the dislike-train.
I saw that back in middle school. Most guys said the simpsons where crap but hyped south park. but couldn't even explain WHY they disliced the simpsons and what made South park so much better.

On the other side of the argument there are good arguemnts why the simpsons are going through a long time slump, quality wise.
But this video is awesome.

@IamNotADancer
The Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill movies are awesome :D

Just liek the old Asterix movies.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The Simpsons ended in 1999, and anyone who tries to argue otherwise should be studied to see what nutrients can be extracted from them for personal use.

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I still like some episodes of the later seasons, but now i don't watch them regualry (mostly because the great german voice of homer died).
I like some of the new episodes but a lot of them are meh. Not bad but meh.

But i am a person that likes the subtile humor of the simpsons. To me a show like south park is simply not funny.
I think that a lot of people still like the simpsons but they just bandwaggon on the dislike-train.
I saw that back in middle school. Most guys said the simpsons where crap but hyped south park. but couldn't even explain WHY they disliced the simpsons and what made South park so much better.

On the other side of the argument there are good arguemnts why the simpsons are going through a long time slump, quality wise.
But this video is awesome.

@IamNotADancer
The Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill movies are awesome :D

Just liek the old Asterix movies.

They are in a "special" kind of way. I tried to introduce them to my family here in the US but man did it fall flat. It's just a different kind of humor and I have to say, if I were introduced to them today I probably wouldn't watch it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad