Calgary Hitmen Retool

SB2013

May 12, 2013
The Calgary Hitmen are having multiple big names graduating to pro hockey this year such as Cody Sylvester, Victor Rask, Brooks Macek, Spencer Humphries along with others expected to get pro opportunities... Do you think that the Hitmen can repeat the success they had last year with the younger players taking on larger roles?

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
The Calgary Hitmen are having multiple big names graduating to pro hockey this year such as Cody Sylvester, Victor Rask, Brooks Macek, Spencer Humphries along with others expected to get pro opportunities... Do you think that the Hitmen can repeat the success they had last year with the younger players taking on larger roles?

Finally someone who wants to talk Hitmen! :handclap: If Roach doesn't turn pro, I think they could ride their defence (Roach, Rissling, Zgraggen) and Driedger to some success, but I don't know if they'll be able to generate much offence.

They could also opt for quickturn around by moving a few guys (Driedger would return a king's ransom) and be poised for a very strong 2014/15 with Virtanen and Thrower going into their post-draft seasons. Would Brassart still be around then or would he be too old?

SB2013

May 12, 2013
Finally someone who wants to talk Hitmen! :handclap: If Roach doesn't turn pro, I think they could ride their defence (Roach, Rissling, Zgraggen) and Driedger to some success, but I don't know if they'll be able to generate much offence.

They could also opt for quickturn around by moving a few guys (Driedger would return a king's ransom) and be poised for a very strong 2014/15 with Virtanen and Thrower going into their post-draft seasons. Would Brassart still be around then or would he be too old?

Brassart is going into his last season of junior in 2013, and I think there is allot of speculation that Roach won't be back, but Rissling and Zgraggen both have a shot at making pro, right now I'd say they are both at a 50/50 chance... Do you know of any prospects coming in next year that have a good chance of making it?

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
Brassart is going into his last season of junior in 2013, and I think there is allot of speculation that Roach won't be back, but Rissling and Zgraggen both have a shot at making pro, right now I'd say they are both at a 50/50 chance... Do you know of any prospects coming in next year that have a good chance of making it?

Last year around this time Zgraggen made a trip to Switzerland with fellow Royal Tim Traber, from what I know Tim is going to play for that team this upcoming season, as for Zgraggen who knows, but Calgary has too many overagers and Jesse might be the odd man out.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary

Ahh yeah things don't bode well if they lose Roach. I'm not too familiar with their prospects yet actually, just kind of adopted the Hitmen last season when I moved here :)

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary

Found a couple blurbs on prospects courtesy of @ZenonHerasymiuk in the Prospects forum:

Brennan Riddle - Calgary Hitmen

A big defenseman that plays a very safe game and takes care of his own zone first. Riddle skates well and has very good size that allows him to be a tough defender to beat one-on-one. He makes a good first pass but doesn't get very involved in the offensive game otherwise. Might be one of the first-rounders that doesn't crack the squad until age 17, but has good defensive upside.

Lochlan Morrison - Calgary Hitmen

A small defenseman that plays the game smart. Looking like one of the early steals of the draft. Captained Team Sask to Bronze at U16 WCC. Moves the puck well and throws his weight around when needed. Might not make WHL until he is 17.

Terrell Draude - Calgary Hitmen

Has one of the deadliest shots in the class behind Estephan. A big frame and filled out well for his age. Draude needs to learn how to play at his size a bit better. Foot speed lacking. Dangerous around the net and converts on his chances. Two-way upside given his strength.

SB2013

May 12, 2013
Found a couple blurbs on prospects courtesy of @ZenonHerasymiuk in the Prospects forum:

A big defenseman that plays a very safe game and takes care of his own zone first. Riddle skates well and has very good size that allows him to be a tough defender to beat one-on-one. He makes a good first pass but doesn't get very involved in the offensive game otherwise. Might be one of the first-rounders that doesn't crack the squad until age 17, but has good defensive upside.

A small defenseman that plays the game smart. Looking like one of the early steals of the draft. Captained Team Sask to Bronze at U16 WCC. Moves the puck well and throws his weight around when needed. Might not make WHL until he is 17.

Has one of the deadliest shots in the class behind Estephan. A big frame and filled out well for his age. Draude needs to learn how to play at his size a bit better. Foot speed lacking. Dangerous around the net and converts on his chances. Two-way upside given his strength.

Do you think Draude and Riddle will make the team to fill the graduating players role? Make the team alittle younger as well

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink

Riddle has the best chance, the Hitmen also have Ben Thomas waiting in the wings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad