Calgary Herald: Brian Burke offers his assessments on eve of NHL season

Discussion in 'Calgary Flames' started by hockeywiz542, Oct 1, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. hockeywiz542

hockeywiz542 Registered User

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...n+Burke+offers+usual+blunt/8979648/story.html

[​IMG]

Calgary Flames president of hockey operations Brian Burke speaks to the media at the Scotiabank Saddledome on Monday.

2. Anglesmith

Anglesmith Setting up the play?

Scientist
  3. Signature

Signature #keepyourstickontheice

breaking news, old news is old

4. Taranis

Taranis Registered User

:laugh:

5. Haatley

Haatley haatley

This is one of the reasons i hate brian burke... i thought he was gonna keep his mouth shut for once.

6. Goodlad

Goodlad Registered User

Considering this is his first interview since he was introduced I'd say he's doing a pretty good job so far.

7. MC Ride

MC Ride Feels bad man

Gotta hand it to Burke for having the courage to actually critique his players.

8. Rockmorton

Rockmorton Registered User

Exactly. It's easy to impress in a "country club atmosphere". The slightest effort is noticeable. I love how Burke is never impressed by someone's pedigree/draft position. He's only impressed by effort and results. That's really going to help this club going forward.

9. TylerSVT*

TylerSVT* Guest

I think its his best quality. He knows how to motivate players. I cant really think of a lot of propsects under his watch that failed. Remember when everyone was lamenting Kadri a few years ago? Burke handled that well and now Kadri is slowly looking like a good #1C

He is also VERY liked by his players, when he got canned in Toronto there were tons of players saying they were bummed out, Lupul, Kessel, Dion etc. All think he is a stand up guy. He isnt going to BS you like Feaster will, and i like that. We dont need BS, we need straight to the point.

10. Ferkland

Ferkland Bone of My Sword

100% agreed.

11. CG14

CG14 Registered User

As a Leafs fan I can tell you with 100% certainty that players absolutely love playing for him. Forget who the exact player was that we picked up in a trade, but he said something along the lines of "I would to run through a wall for that guy" upon his initial meeting with Burke. He's going to give you honesty over everything else and will not BS you. Enjoy him, hes missed in TO

12. Guido Sarducci

Guido Sarducci Registered User

slave
    Sounds good to me. For the last three years the Flames have been run by a bunch of glorified used car salesmen.

13. Zirakzigil

Zirakzigil Registered User

Burke is all about the team and the community. I have no issue with what he said and like that he's in the organization.

14. TylerSVT*

TylerSVT* Guest

You dont win by being the best player (Ovechkin), you win by being the best team (Chicago).

Burke knows that, he knows Sven needs to play in all 3 zones for the team to be successful.

It also goes with our organizational direction, smart players who play 3 zones and compete every night.

I like Burke.

15. Anglesmith

Anglesmith Setting up the play?

Scientist
    To suggest that Chicago isn't loaded with superstars is foolish. Toews, Kane and Keith are Ovechkin-level elite. They may not put up the same number of points, but they are better-rounded (see the Xbox-disconnect gif).

Perhaps your original statement should be "you don't win by having the best superstar, you win by having the best mix of superstars."

16. TylerSVT*

TylerSVT* Guest

I suppose. My point was more or less you cannot win with a team full of players who only put up massive points. I love Malkin and Crosby but the pens don't really play like a team. There is a reason they got steamrolled by Boston last year.

Outside of Chara Boston has no real superstar players, yet they won the cup in 2011 and were in the finals last year.

Just my .02 that team play>individual play.

Harkins back to the old Iginla thing, i cheer for the team, not the player.

17. Nordberg

Nordberg Registered User

^Good post.

Team effort goes a hell of a lot longer in the playoffs than individual skilled players. Boston doesn't have a single superstar by my definition but every year they are still the team I would fear the most in the playoffs. Creating a great TEAM is what we need to focus on here and not trying to create the brightest poster boy. That stuff sells jerseys but won't win you any Cups. Look at the Pens of 08-09. They probably had a worse team on paper than they had last season but they won because they played a great team game getting contributions from all players. The last two playoffs they have been a joke because they've had awful team defense and cohesion. The Flyers were feared in the playoffs when their greatest star was Pronger who acted as a leader and unifying force whilst contributing in every area. Now look at them. I could probably go on for a while here.

Chicago aren't a very good example IMO. They absolutely dominated last year because they had an incredible team AND superstar power. That luxury is extremely rare in a cap world.

18. MarkGio

MarkGio Registered User

I liked how Burke kept giving credit to Feaster and commented on Monahan being Feaster's decision. Its good to know that they're roles are still there and being worked out.

The hiring of a skills coach was cool. Hopefully this improves faceoffs and shoot-outs. I appreciated his comment towards Ron Sutter being the only development guy and has to cover Europe and North America. That's likely a problem eventually getting resolved. A lot of great things.

19. Nordberg

Nordberg Registered User

It's great to have a manager who is very candid and honest about concerns in the organisation. It's also much easier and more pleasant working for someone like that. As long as a manager is competent like Burke is, there is nothing wrong with cold honesty in a professional environment. Identify problems and solve them instead of trying to hide, sugarcoat, or ignore them. I don't really mind that he's honest with the media either as long as it's the same thing that's being communicated within the organisation.

20. Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville The Return of a Legend

Manager
    The Flames are lucky to have Burke.

21. MarkGio

MarkGio Registered User

Too much honesty can be detrimental. Players don't want to get humiliated and privacy of the locker room should be respected. Saying negative things about someone to the media is chicken **** in my eyes. I tell people to their face and leave everyone else out of it because its not their business.

22. Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville The Return of a Legend

Manager
    I think you'll find with Burke that he's very selective on his comments he makes to the media. While that may sound completely the opposite of how he is, I've said before that Burke is very smart at situations like this and he is very deliberate in his choice of words and there intent. Players love Burke because I can't think of another GM or an executive in the NHL that backs his players and staff more than Burke does. Burke will have his players or coaches back to the point where it will cost him his job. He's a very smart guy and he knows how to get the most from his players and he will not be constantly calling out Baertschi every time he talks to the media. I expect Sven to respond well.

23. Nordberg

Nordberg Registered User

Brian does not humiliate his players. He tells it like it is. In this case, it's up to Sven and noone else to show that he belongs in the NHL. If anything, Burke protects his players(and they love him for it), but this isn't kindergarten either. It's Sven's responsibility to take. I can understand your view to a certain point, but this is the NHL and if a player can't take being called out for a lack of effort, when they clearly showed a lack of effort, they're probably not going to make it anyway. I believe and I hope that this will help motivate Sven to prove to Burke and everyone else that he is better than that.

24. MarkGio

MarkGio Registered User

I will say this again, one last time... I'm FINE with calling out players. Never once did I have a problem with that.

I call out employees all the time. I just do it like a man and I do it respectfully. I say it to them, not to the people around them and behind their back.

And I say it to them in private when they're not being humiliated. By doing so, I avoid several defense mechanisms based on social negative reinforcement, therefore only leaving the message I want heard.

25. Walk with Elias

Walk with Elias Who wants to walk with Elias? Sponsor

When you are giving a press conference and you are directly asked about an employee, then I will take this response seriously. Burke is an honest person, he was asked a question and answered it. He even said that he thinks there is alot of potential to improve. This is not your average job.