GDT: Calgary Flames vs. Montreal Canadiens 10/23/18 7:30pm EST TSN2, RDS, TSN690

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
What do you need help with? They have had zero games out of their time zone, 5 games in 2 weeks and next to nil for travel. Ottawa, Detroit and Toronto ? Wait until they play a few tough games with some travel involved, then I'll believe what I'm seeing.
Huh, yeah.

The fact you don't see this leads me to believe personal bias is blinding you.

Ya right, somehow playing 5 of the first 7 games against the leafs, the pens x 2, the blues, and LA is an easy schedule o_O

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
This team has had an easy schedule, got some wins against teams in a funk etc.. I expect them to go on a massive losing streak starting tonight. Was Paul Byron complaining about fatigue? lol, what a tool if that is true, considering the cakewalk of a schedule they have had.

Probably 5-1 Flames, Pricer with massive excuses for sucking between the pipes.

I agree, I expect the next two weeks to be a lot tougher for the Habs.

Reactions: Peanut

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Ya right, somehow playing 5 of the first 7 games against the leafs, the pens x 2, the blues, and LA is an easy schedule o_O

It's 2018. LA is not a great team anymore. They missed the playoffs two years ago, barely made them last year and went out in the first round and they are not really among the 8 favorite teams to make the playoffs this year in the west.

Their defense is questionable at best. They have Doughty and a bunch of imo overrated guys who are now 30 years old. I mean they are icing Paul Ladue and Oscar Fantenberg right now for god sake ... I don't think their defense is much better than us when Weber is healthy.

Their offense is dangerously aging. Lot of guys still good put past their prime. They have Kopitar, Doughty and a struggling Quick but the team lack quality depth. They should attempt a quick turn around like Boston did when they traded Lucic and Hamilton.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Both Leafs and Pens weren't playing their A game and you conveniently leave out the fact that the sparsing of the schedule was relatively easy.

lol "weren't playing their A game". Is that the excuse for every time we win against a good team?

After we played Ottawa, we were tied for 14th in the league in gp. Every team ahead had played only 1 more game than us.
We had a 4 day break after playing the 2nd game of the season and it was totally useless since you don't get tired after playing 2 games. We then played 5 games in 10 days. A game every 2 day basically. Its an average schedule.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
It's 2018. LA is not a great team anymore. They missed the playoffs two years ago, barely made them last year and went out in the first round and they are not really among the 8 favorite teams to make the playoffs this year in the west.
Their defense is questionable at best. They have Doughty and a bunch of imo overrated guys who are now 30 years old. I mean they are icing Paul Ladue and Oscar Fantenberg right now for god sake ... I don't think their defense is much better than us when Weber is healthy.
Their offense is dangerously aging. Lot of guys still good put past their prime. They have Kopitar, Doughty and a struggling Quick but the team lack quality depth. They should attempt a quick turn around like Boston did when they traded Lucic and Hamilton.

La was 12th in the league last year in pts. They were 2 pts shy from 100 points... Meanwhile we were 4th last.
LA is not great anymore because they missed the playoffs 2 years ago? Then I guess we are a cup contending team since we had 103 pts 2 year ago.

Not to mention its the big heavy team that we usually struggle against, and we lost our last 3 games against them.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
lol "weren't playing their A game". Is that the excuse for every time we win against a good team?

It's not an excuse, it's reality. If you can't see that Pittsburg and St-Louis were not playing to their usual standard, what else is there left to say? Believe what you will. I'll still be here in a month or two saying 'i told you so'.

After we played Ottawa, we were tied for 14th in the league in gp. Every team ahead had played only 1 more game than us.
We had a 4 day break after playing the 2nd game of the season and it was totally useless since you don't get tired after playing 2 games. We then played 5 games in 10 days. A game every 2 day basically. Its an average schedule.

Again, the naive spinning. Fact is, they have played 7 games in 20 days. That's one game every 3 days. That's the reality. It will get a whole lot tougher when they'll be playing 15 in 30 days,

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
La was 12th in the league last year in pts. They were 2 pts shy from 100 points... Meanwhile we were 4th last.
LA is not great anymore because they missed the playoffs 2 years ago? Then I guess we are a cup contending team since we had 103 pts 2 year ago.

Not to mention its the big heavy team that we usually struggle against, and we lost our last 3 games against them.

Reality will hit hard with you.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
I always thought games vs Calgary were not intereesting. I remember that what time I went to the Bell Centre and the Habs lost 1-0. Kipper with the shutout. Awful game.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
It's not an excuse, it's reality. If you can't see that Pittsburg and St-Louis were not playing to their usual standard, what else is there left to say? Believe what you will. I'll still be here in a month or two saying 'i told you so'.

Every time a top team losses against a bottom team its simply because they didn't play to their usual standard? Such a ridiculous argument.

Again, the naive spinning. Fact is, they have played 7 games in 20 days. That's one game every 3 days. That's the reality. It will get a whole lot tougher when they'll be playing 15 in 30 days,

So if the team played 2 games in the first 13 days, and then 5 games in the next 7 days, would that still be an easy schedule? Its 7 games in 20 days like you said.

According to your logic it would still be an easy schedule, but its obviously not.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada

Were they not playing to their usual standard, or did we just play better? Based on the eye test and the metrics, I'd say it's the latter.

Just because we've beaten good teams doesn't mean we didn't play well doing so either.

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm reading these arguments brings me back to the days where I sat at bars during the afternoon's work weeks and hearing fuzzy fellas chat about sports.... Entertaining!

Cary on! :thumbu::popcorn:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

You can just as easily say Montreal didn't play its A-game against LA, and certainly not against Ottawa in the 2nd and 3rd periods. In fact, most wins around the league can be blamed on the opposition not bringing their A-game; I wouldn't single out the Habs' wins as being any different or less impressive.

I'm sure their record will change in the next few weeks, but that doesn't diminish what they've done thus far.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Were they not playing to their usual standard, or did we just play better? Based on the eye test and the metrics, I'd say it's the latter.

Just because we've beaten good teams doesn't mean we didn't play well doing so either.

If you watch the Pens and the Blues in their other games vs other teams, you'd know it's the former.

Reactions: Peanut

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
You can just as easily say Montreal didn't play its A-game against LA, and certainly not against Ottawa in the 2nd and 3rd periods. In fact, most wins around the league can be blamed on the opposition not bringing their A-game; I wouldn't single out the Habs' wins as being any different or less impressive.

I'm sure their record will change in the next few weeks, but that doesn't diminish what they've done thus far.

The point was not to diminish what they have done, but to look at the context to forecast what will happen, and unlike you, those 7 games have completely blinded some people.

Reactions: Peanut and Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad