Series Discussion: Calgary Flames vs. Colorado Avalanche

What's the outcome of this series?

• Total voters

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Bennett isn’t getting a shot. He’s been our best forward yet he played 12 f***ing minutes last night. At this point he’s just getting f***ed and I sincerely hope he gets a chance somewhere else this offseason.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
I cant really blame Johnny too much. Kid is small and size is what is needed in the post season. How players like him succeed in the playoffs is they have a line mate (Center) who creates space for them. Monahan is useless. He can surely put pucks in the net when he works to get in front of the net, but he pretty much sucks at drawing the opposing players to him and controlling the play so that his linemates can sneak into positions where they can score.

Its not all doom and gloom for this team. The team is still young and inexperienced in the post season. What they need to do is make sure they get in every season in the coming years and build on that. That plus explore trading Monahan, I dont think he will ever be the #1 Center who you need in order to win cups. Backlund maybe could be that, but he is better suited as a forever 2nd shutdown C.

I doubt we win game 5. The life has been sucked out of this team.

Reactions: Sk8M8 and Milojica

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Bennett isn’t getting a shot. He’s been our best forward yet he played 12 ****ing minutes last night. At this point he’s just getting ****ed and I sincerely hope he gets a chance somewhere else this offseason.

Bennett can't score to save his life

But at this point, I agree he should get a better shot. Kid is giving his all.

Lazy Monahan should be playing his last game as a flames. 6'3 guy watching 5'3 guy doing all the work. f***ing pathetic

Hopefully, he can take jank with him also. Softest big men in professional sports

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I cant really blame Johnny too much. Kid is small and size is what is needed in the post season. How players like him succeed in the playoffs is they have a line mate (Center) who creates space for them. Monahan is useless. He can surely put pucks in the net when he works to get in front of the net, but he pretty much sucks at drawing the opposing players to him and controlling the play so that his linemates can sneak into positions where they can score.
Gaudreau's entry into the offensive zone is this:

1. Cross the blue line
2. Button hook at the top of the circle along the boards.
3. One of: Skate back towards the blue line, put the puck in the middle of the ice, or skate to the middle of the ice.
Result: turnover or pass/shot into a shinpad.

So predictable my dog could defend against it.

Yet leads the team in scoring.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Yet leads the team in scoring.
Bennett scoring problem is well documented since his rookie year

Fact that he leads the team with a goal going off his skate because his teammates are pathetic does not change anything. Small sample size anyway

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
They have to find space, or find seams. Avs aren't giving up any space, and they're playing a fast game. Not much time out there to make plays.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I've thought for most of the season that Czarnik should have been a regular over Neal.

He's like a more gifted winger version of Ryan whose worse defensively, but better offensively.

We have more skill now, no doubt, but Czarnik reminds me of the niche roll that Versteeg played with the Flames when he was clearly the second best passer to Johnny. My feeling is we need skill and speed and size be damned (Mangi, Ryan have been two of our better players)

I'd play

Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm as a first line. Big minutes and can go against Mackinnon
Gaudreau-Monahan-Czarnik as a soft second line getting sheltered minutes against the softest Colodardo match up we can find
Mangi-Ryan-Hathaway - The next most toughest minutes after the Backs line
Bennett-Jankowski-Frolik - Can battle with the DAG line for minutes based on whose playing better

If Gaudreau can get the softest of all 5 on 5 minutes and get #1 PP time that line is likely due to produce something.

No better 5 on 5 line can be constructed then putting Lindholm "the fixer" with Tkachuk and Backlund

Then the bottom 6 forwards are solid enough to be even 5 on 5 and maybe squeek in a goal.

Sit Neal.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017

But at this point, I agree he should get a better shot. Kid is giving his all.

Lazy Monahan should be playing his last game as a flames. 6'3 guy watching 5'3 guy doing all the work. ****ing pathetic

Hopefully, he can take jank with him also. Softest big men in professional sports

I'm sure we'll be far better off next season with a couple draft picks instead of Monahan.

Vordus

May 9, 2014
Calgary
We made good adjustments and almost won. But as the game went on, regressed to old habits:

- Few attempts to create any offense. Simply dumping it into their zone and going right back to defending. Giving them the puck for free.

- As mentioned, Flames back off as soon as Avs get the puck. Even when close enough to disrupt the play. Need to be more aggressive. This is partly on the coach.

Gaudreau's showing some crappy character on top of this. Several times gave up on the play (even skated away from a loose puck in Avs zone in the 2nd period) because he was looking for a call. Frustration is totally throwing off his game.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm as a first line. Big minutes and can go against Mackinnon
Gaudreau-Monahan-Czarnik as a soft second line getting sheltered minutes against the softest Colodardo match up we can find
Mangi-Ryan-Hathaway - The next most toughest minutes after the Backs line
Bennett-Jankowski-Frolik - Can battle with the DAG line for minutes based on whose playing better

My thoughts on lines:

Bennett-Monahan-Lindholm
Chucky-Backlund-Frolik
Johnny-Jankowski-Czarnik
DAG

This configuration of lines either opens up Mony and Lindholm or Johnny from the shut down pairing in Colorado.

Bennett should open the ice up for Sean and Lindy and Johnny brings a more offensive look to the third line.

The 3M line needs to be maintained to match up against MacKinnon's Line as much as possible because 3 out of 4 games they have limited him as well as can be expected.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I mean you can only do your best against the Avs top line. But when your top line guys are MIA at even strength and guys like Nieto, Compher and the rookie Makar are bossing things you've got massive problems.

Did anyone else notice Mangiapane's tenacity on the forecheck last night? The guy was a bulldog out there with Ryan. Them, Bennett and Hathaway have been the only forwards in this series that look like they give a damn and yet all of them got barely any icetime.

It's on Treliving to move out our floaters this offseason.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
We made good adjustments and almost won. But as the game went on, regressed to old habits:

- Few attempts to create any offense. Simply dumping it into their zone and going right back to defending. Giving them the puck for free.

- As mentioned, Flames back off as soon as Avs get the puck. Even when close enough to disrupt the play. Need to be more aggressive. This is partly on the coach.

Gaudreau's showing some crappy character on top of this. Several times gave up on the play (even skated away from a loose puck in Avs zone in the 2nd period) because he was looking for a call. Frustration is totally throwing off his game.

It's night and day the difference between the Flames and Avs in the O zone. Avs control the puck and are constantly moving, while the Flames dump it in and if they don't give it away.. they do some crappy cycle and everyone just standing around like pylons.

NoMoSnow

Apr 13, 2018
Las Vegas
"We know we're good enough to win. We just need everyone to pick it up a notch"
"It wasn't a very good team effort".
"Overall, we played a pretty good game. Just a few tweaks and we'll be OK".
upload_2019-4-18_11-21-0.png

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
The Flames are a well built team. It's the culture and internal unity that is struggling. Confidence is down across the board except for Smith and the players are clutching their sticks like a 12 year old learning out how to make man butter. Backlund's miss in OT was a fine example of this. They have one last game to turn it around.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Gaudreau's entry into the offensive zone is this:

1. Cross the blue line
2. Button hook at the top of the circle along the boards.
3. One of: Skate back towards the blue line, put the puck in the middle of the ice, or skate to the middle of the ice.
Result: turnover or pass/shot into a shinpad.

So predictable my dog could defend against it.

But, in all honesty, probably 70% of the time Johnny is crossing the blueline into a double-team on him, AND, he's alone or his team-mates aren't even close to open.

To me Gaudreau is discouraged at this point.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
My opinion is for some reason this team lost the will to play for each other. Not everyone, but there's a malaise of lack of deep care for their common purpose. You can't win playoff rounds and the cup without a deep sense of give a damn. This team feels hollow. And the feeling stems back to around the All-Star game.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
The Flames are a well built team. It's the culture and internal unity that is struggling. Confidence is down across the board except for Smith and the players are clutching their sticks like a 12 year old learning out how to make man butter. Backlund's miss in OT was a fine example of this. They have one last game to turn it around.

I agree with this.

It is strangely similar to Tampa's collapse. At least we got one win.

But ultimately they've got to find the "it" factor in their heart, determination and team-play in order to compete meaningfully and win.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Wonder if it's a conditioning issue to some extent for some of these guys? They've fallen off a cliff in March for two years straight now. That didn't happen under Hartley who was a notorious fitness hardass.
I just absolutely refuse to believe it's lack of motivation when you're playing in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Sep 13, 2009
It's a culture thing! This organization has been a playoff failure for most of its existence, the '18-'19 iteration is simply continuing with the tradition. Pathetic.

Avs in 5.

Last edited:

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I've said it before, but the Flames are soft and not really built to play against fast, heavy teams. I am really disappointed with Gaudreau, Monahan, Frolik, Neal, and Brodie. All of whom I now have on my trade bait list.

Gaudreau is way too soft and predictable. Monahan is another Jason Spezza. Both are extremely valuable during the season to get you in the play-offs, but don't have what it takes to take you very far. Frolik hasn't played too bad, but again isn't big enough and doesn't score enough. Neal has the size, but no speed and if he ain't scoring he's useless to us. Brodie? I'm tired of his brain farts. Skates miles, but not efficiently and gets caught out of position a lot.

Maybe these guys will make me eat my words and I'd love if they lead us to the next round. I'm doubtful though. If I were Peters I'd make some changes.

Gaudreau/Lindholm/Czarnik
Tkachuk/Backlund/Neal
Bennett/Monahan/Dube
Mangiapane/Ryan/Hathaway

Giordano/Andersson
Hanifin/Hamonic
Valimaki/Stone (Prout)

Smith

My reasoning.

Czarnik has speed, high hockey IQ, is responsible defensively and has gumption. Move "the Beast" to C.
Need Tkachuk and Neal to tag team with crash and bash and net front presence.
Trying to get some tertiary scoring.
4 line steady presence.

Get Brodie the hell out of there because he is dragging Gio down.
HH seem to be the only ones hitting and are steady.
Valimaki looked solid last game and not out of place. Put in another stay at home D that can crunch some people.

Smith has earned the right to play even if this might be his last game as a Flame. Go Smitty go!

This also will give some play-off experience to young Dube and Czarnik, two players that I think the Flames might hang onto next year.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
The Gaudreau apologists are honestly hilarious. The kid has been far worse than Monahan this series. In these theoretical posts about Monahan carrying the puck/play, tell me how he is supposed to do it when Gaudreau has 3 turn overs a shift, doesn't play defence in the playoffs because he is scared along the boards and when he has the puck skates into multiple guys and then cowers from a hit and loses the puck.

The Flames are losing this series because of Gaudreau, not because of Monahan. (well both, but moreso Gaudreau) And Lindholm may be the shiny new toy, but he has been completely invisible out there outside of his PPG and on the PK.

Reactions: Gettin Iggy With It

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
We'll see what happens in game 5 but I am frigging tired of Gaudreau's whining and pouting every time a play doesn't go his way. Rise above it; that's what champions do.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
One thing, even post-All Star Break we didn't have too many lengthy losing skids. Even with half our team playing poorly we still won. We went to overtime last night. There's still a chance we turn this around. Again, we did it in the regular season.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Game 5 lineup

Top line
3M
Bennett-Dubé-Czarnik
DAG

Brodano
Valimaki-Andersson
Hanifin-Brodie/Andersson

Smith

Ride 5 d all night, swap Bennett and Monahan if the first line doesn’t skate after the first two or three shifts

Push the pace and be aggressive, don’t give the Avs free ice. Don’t be afraid to get beat.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad