GDT: Calgary Flames @ Vegas Golden Nuts - 8:30 MT (Boo) - SN1, SNW

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I didn't hear it myself but it was posted elsewhere, apparently after the loss Stajan said, "If we could have fans like this at home....”

Vegas' record at home is 23-5-2 and the Flames' is 13-14-4. Maybe you don't play dog**** hockey on home ice so our fans have something to cheer for. Wow, an exciting game where we have been shut out at home for the 9th game this season, better start cheering more so some millionaires can get some emotion and show up for their job.

Better tell let Gulutzan know that the team "didn't show up tonight [for the 37th time this year]".

Let the season be over with already and get GG and his staff the hell out of Calgary and get Brouwer, Stajan, Lazar, Hathaway, Stone, off this team as well.

And **** the US.
I don't believe for a second that Stajan said that.

But if he did, well, give us something to cheer for, you sacks of shit.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Rittich was in a lose-lose situation no matter what. Either get pulled for the 2nd time in 3 games or finish the game like he did.

Wouldn't have made sense for the Flames to pull him considering Gillies is 99% likely to start tomorrow against Arizona

This is what I am hoping is the case. If not then it perhaps would indicate Gulutzan just doesn't have a lot of trust in Gillies.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Things looking bleak. All I see really happening is maybe Stajan going at the deadline. Would love to get a 3rd from somebody. Because they need some fresh legs.

Not a chance Stajan gets a 3rd, I love the guy as a person (moronic comments last night aside) but as a hockey player he is done. If you sent a 3rd with him maybe a team would be willing to have him sit in the PB for the rest of the year they could have a free 3rd round pick.

Plus no way Treliving/GG gives up a vet like that.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Ferland
AHLer-Backlund-Frolik
Lazar-Stajan-Hathaway

Time to change it up a little

Gio-Brodie
Kulak-Hamilton
Kylington-Hamonic

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett
AHLer-Backlund-Frolik
Lazar-Stajan-Hathaway

Gio-Brodie
Kulak-Hamilton
Kylington-Hamonic

I like the Forward grouping as a change in pace - for D, I'd like to see Hamonic with Dougie, Brodie and Gio back together (or at least Brodie on his good side) and keep Kulak with Stone. Kylington needs to stay in the A and develop more.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett
AHLer-Backlund-Frolik
Lazar-Stajan-Hathaway

Gio-Brodie
Kulak-Hamilton
Kylington-Hamonic

That second pairing will get killed defensively and we would have to shelter the 3rd pair a lot because as good as Hamonic is I don't think he can make up for the countless errors we will get from Kylington playing against NHLers. That means we are likely looking at close to 30 mins for Gio-Brodie and that is taking into account that Brodie has been a complete trainwreck in his own zone this year.

I think if we are changing anything we should pair Hamonic and Gio and bury them with defensive zone starts/tough match-ups and then give Hamilton and Brodie the buttery soft minutes.

But really I am not sure if we have many good options to switch up the defense based on lhs/rhs and the style of player we have. Which really is a little concerning when you think of how much money we have spent there.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think it's time to move our wingers around.

Tkachuk-Bennett-Gaudreau
Backlund-Monahan-Frolik
Ferland-Jankowski-Lazar
Brouwer-Stajan-AHLer

The Bennett-Jankowski connection has stopped working and Bennett has shown good chemstry with Gaudreau in the past. Tkachuk is on a tear. Move both of them up.

It's time for Monahan to be more involved in the play. The puck-carrying safety net in Gaudreau will never let him fully grow as a player. He can produce without Gaudreau so it's time to stop putting our eggs in one basket and spread the wealth.

Ferland needs to be reminded why he got called up to the first line in the first place. Put him on a line with Lazar who goes 100% every shift and try to wake up Jankowski too.

Just hope this fourth line doesn't hurt you.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I don't believe for a second that Stajan said that.

But if he did, well, give us something to cheer for, you sacks of ****.

Apparently he said it post game on the fan. I never heard the context though but it was said.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I think it's time to move our wingers around.

Tkachuk-Bennett-Gaudreau
Backlund-Monahan-Frolik
Ferland-Jankowski-Lazar
Brouwer-Stajan-AHLer

The Bennett-Jankowski connection has stopped working and Bennett has shown good chemstry with Gaudreau in the past. Tkachuk is on a tear. Move both of them up.

It's time for Monahan to be more involved in the play. The puck-carrying safety net in Gaudreau will never let him fully grow as a player. He can produce without Gaudreau so it's time to stop putting our eggs in one basket and spread the wealth.

Ferland needs to be reminded why he got called up to the first line in the first place. Put him on a line with Lazar who goes 100% every shift and try to wake up Jankowski too.

Just hope this fourth line doesn't hurt you.
Yep, moving a career 30 point player who has struggled to stay above water at centre to our first line spot is a fantastic idea! All so we can bump our best two way centre to wing (or alternately put monahan on the wing?)

The other thing, I think we get ourselves caught up too much in the LD RD thing. Before last season and Glen's absolute insistence on it, we had never really given it much thought. Gulutzan has proven himself time and time again to be an absolutely flawed coach, so it's pretty likely that his opinion on the D handedness is just wrong too.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Yep, moving a career 30 point player who has struggled to stay above water at centre to our first line spot is a fantastic idea! All so we can bump our best two way centre to wing (or alternately put monahan on the wing?)

I think it really shows how bad we are missing another top 6 forward because it likely makes some sense to try and spread out scoring by splitting up Gaudreau and Monahan but there is no new line combinations that make sense.

You are either left with them playing with two offensive duds (Ferland, Bennett, Jankowski) or playing with Backlund on what is the shutdown line.

Ideally we need another top 6 (center or RW) to pair with Gaudreau so you could have Monahan-Tkachuk and Gaudreau-player x and slot Ferland and Bennett in accordingly so they are the 3rd wheels and able ride the coat tails of the other two rather than be expected to create.

Reactions: Flameshomer

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I think it really shows how bad we are missing another top 6 forward because it likely makes some sense to try and spread out scoring by splitting up Gaudreau and Monahan but there is no new line combinations that make sense.

You are either left with them playing with two offensive duds (Ferland, Bennett, Jankowski) or playing with Backlund on what is the shutdown line.

Ideally we need another top 6 (center or RW) to pair with Gaudreau so you could have Monahan-Tkachuk and Gaudreau-player x and slot Ferland and Bennett in accordingly so they are the 3rd wheels and able ride the coat tails of the other two rather than be expected to create.
Turris or Duchene! Too late for that boat. I agree though, another centre would be ideal. If we could get tavares I say leave gaudreau-monahan together as the second line and let Johnny T feed off of Tkachuk's wild energy on the top line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad