Calgary Flames Top 20 shows underrated system depth

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
markus_granlund_calgary_110214.jpg
Photo: Calgary Flames prospect Markus Granlund is part of the team’s solid depth at center. (courtesy of Minas Panagiotakis/Icon Sportswire)

After five seasons of not making the playoffs, the Calgary Flames appear to be on the verge of returning to post-season action. The emergences of Johnny Gaudreau and Josh Jooris have assisted in the drive for the playoffs and are among the top ranking prospects in the system. Meanwhile, the AHL’s Adirondack Flames also find themselves in the playoff hunt with key contributions from Emile Poirier and Joni Ortio. Michael Ferland and Ryan Culkin make their first appearances on the Top 20 list, while Sven Baertschi has graduated from prospect status.… read more

The post Calgary Flames Top 20 shows underrated system depth appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Aug 21, 2014
Gaudreau should be higher, 8.5B. Don't understand why Jankowski's ranking went down. Jankowski's continued to improve every year yet his ranking goes down.

EDIT: Mcdonald's ranking has gone down yet he's starting and putting better numbers..

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Yeah I think Gaudreau should be an 8.5 as well. Poirier is way too low IMO as well. Otherwise an interesting list. Not too bad.

Also the Jankowski rating is a classic example of statwatching. He has absolutely progressed.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Gaudreau should be higher, 8.5B. Don't understand why Jankowski's ranking went down. Jankowski's continued to improve every year yet his ranking goes down.

EDIT: Mcdonald's ranking has gone down yet he's starting and putting better numbers..
HF rankings are stupid

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This list seems to be getting everyone into a middle point, know what I mean?

Johnny should be an 8.5; Wotherspoon should be a 7, Gillies and Ortio have 7.5/8.0 projections at this time... Poirier was an All star in his first professional season... Should be more than a 7.

Dunno. Seems good for some, not for others.

Aug 3, 2010
Don't know why people go by HF rankings.

I don't know why HF thinks their rankings are important or relevant. Sure, we use their website to discuss things, but their rankings/main website isn't the reason we all congregate here. They just got lucky that the community formed here. Not saying that the website isn't reputable but a lot of their content and system can be contentious and seemingly out of touch - there's no solid standardization across the board.

EDIT - Furthermore, as further proof of their irrelevance to the general population, rarely does anyone ever use their rankings as a de-facto reference regarding a player's ceiling, value, or otherwise. That alone is telling of the situation. If your system is solid, people will refer to it constantly as a baseline: "google it", "check CapGeek (RIP:()", etc. The fact that almost nobody uses their ranking systems about young hockey players on an extension of their own website must be kind of disheartening for them and a source of amusement for us.

Last edited:

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
I don't know why HF thinks their rankings are important or relevant. Sure, we use their website to discuss things, but their rankings/main website isn't the reason we all congregate here. They just got lucky that the community formed here. Not saying that the website isn't reputable but a lot of their content and system can be contentious and seemingly out of touch - there's no solid standardization across the board.

This basically is what my thoughts are :laugh:

I have never referred to HF's prospect ratings/rankings.

ElectricSky*

markus_granlund_calgary_110214.jpg
Photo: Calgary Flames prospect Markus Granlund is part of the team’s solid depth at center. (courtesy of Minas Panagiotakis/Icon Sportswire)

After five seasons of not making the playoffs, the Calgary Flames appear to be on the verge of returning to post-season action. The emergences of Johnny Gaudreau and Josh Jooris have assisted in the drive for the playoffs and are among the top ranking prospects in the system. Meanwhile, the AHL’s Adirondack Flames also find themselves in the playoff hunt with key contributions from Emile Poirier and Joni Ortio. Michael Ferland and Ryan Culkin make their first appearances on the Top 20 list, while Sven Baertschi has graduated from prospect status.… read more

The post Calgary Flames Top 20 shows underrated system depth appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

I disagree with some of the rankings.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Also the Jankowski rating is a classic example of statwatching. He has absolutely progressed.

This argument comes up a lot with Jankowski, and I'm curious as to how many people actually watch Providence games with any regularity. I certainly haven't had an easy time finding any broadcasts or feeds, so my perception (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the majority of people who are firmly in the pro-Janko camp are going off of stats and the occasional paragraph that's printed about him (which are also not exactly ubiquitous).

If that is the case I certainly don't see anything wrong with it. I just think that it would be silly for one side to accuse the other of using too limited a scope of information. Or if that's not the case, then I rescind my comments.

May 27, 2012
Earth

EDIT - Furthermore, as further proof of their irrelevance to the general population, rarely does anyone ever use their rankings as a de-facto reference regarding a player's ceiling, value, or otherwise. That alone is telling of the situation. If your system is solid, people will refer to it constantly as a baseline: "google it", "check CapGeek (RIP:()", etc. The fact that almost nobody uses their ranking systems about young hockey players on an extension of their own website must be kind of disheartening for them and a source of amusement for us.

The guy from the Winnipeg Free press used HF rankings in one of the intermissions on TSN for the Jets prospects. I just happened to be watching the game and had a good laugh. :laugh:

What's his name? Gary...?

edit: Gary Lawless!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The guy from the Winnipeg Free press used HF rankings in one of the intermissions on TSN for the Jets prospects. I just happened to be watching the game and had a good laugh. :laugh:

What's his name? Gary...?

edit: Gary Lawless!
Gary Lawless is one of the biggest idiots around.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I disagree with some of the rankings.

Which ones?

Personally I think Culkin and Sieloff should should be swapped. Both were drafted in the same year, Culkin has accomplished more and has been a big riser for us this year.

I don't think Janko should be that low, especially when you consider Sieloff is so high. It seems to me that Janko is a disappointment because he's a 1st round pick, yet Sieloff is a 2nd rounder, still ranked quite high, has accomplished less than Janko but ranked way higher?

Other than that the list isn't terrible, Reinhart should also be higher though.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This argument comes up a lot with Jankowski, and I'm curious as to how many people actually watch Providence games with any regularity. I certainly haven't had an easy time finding any broadcasts or feeds, so my perception (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the majority of people who are firmly in the pro-Janko camp are going off of stats and the occasional paragraph that's printed about him (which are also not exactly ubiquitous).

If that is the case I certainly don't see anything wrong with it. I just think that it would be silly for one side to accuse the other of using too limited a scope of information. Or if that's not the case, then I rescind my comments.

Thats a fair point, but it works both ways. Many critics could be accused of being to harsh on him while not watching him nearly enough. Personally I've watched him once this year, but try and rely on whatever articles I can find on him as best I can. Ultimately we'll have to wait until we get him to Stockton to see what we got.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Thats a fair point, but it works both ways. Many critics could be accused of being to harsh on him while not watching him nearly enough. Personally I've watched him once this year, but try and rely on whatever articles I can find on him as best I can. Ultimately we'll have to wait until we get him to Stockton to see what we got.
Agreed and I think that is the case with this god awful HF writer. Just some fan from Calgary who hasn't seen Janko any more than the rest of us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad