Calgary Flames Prospect Awards raise expectations for next season

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
mark_jankowski_stockton_heat_2.jpg
Photo: Calgary Flames 2012 first-rounder Mark Jankowski put up six points in his first eight games with the Stockton Heat after turning pro this season (courtesy of Jack Lima/Stockton Heat)

?

</p>While the Calgary Flames’ NHL season did not end on much of a positive note, and their AHL affiliate Stockton Heat also missed a playoff berth, it is still a franchise very much in transition and trending the right direction. Despite a difficult year as an organization in the standings, there are a number of young talents to be excited about at all levels. When you go over the list of prospects and young players the Flames currently have in the fold, the feeling is that these difficult years are being put behind them.… read more

The post Calgary Flames Prospect Awards raise expectations for next season appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Agreed on it being a good article Jason.

Its nice to see a spread of names, not sure if that is merely you trying to cover multiple names, or that our pool has decent depth, just lacking big names.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Excellent article. I enjoyed reading it. :)

Random off topic. Why does Janko look so skinny in that pic? Weight loss due to his prior illness? Or does he just have a super long neck?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I think it's interesting to note he's playing well in the AHL with little time to adjust and still recovering from a sickness that will likely take a full offseason to recover from

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Janko was drafted as an offensive player, his main goal at Providence was to learn to play a solid 2-way game and I would say that he accomplished that in his time there. Any time I ever got to watch him to play, his skill level was evident even though the points weren't always there. My main concern with him was that Providence would suck the creativity from his game, so far he's looking just fine. In the Flames up tempo system and with having other skilled players to play with, in theory Janko should be able to produce just fine considering the tools he has.

I've been pumping the Kylington tires as him being our top prospect, but that title might easily belong to Janko.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Janko was drafted as an offensive player, his main goal at Providence was to learn to play a solid 2-way game and I would say that he accomplished that in his time there. Any time I ever got to watch him to play, his skill level was evident even though the points weren't always there. My main concern with him was that Providence would suck the creativity from his game, so far he's looking just fine. In the Flames up tempo system and with having other skilled players to play with, in theory Janko should be able to produce just fine considering the tools he has.

I've been pumping the Kylington tires as him being our top prospect, but that title might easily belong to Janko.

Riley Bruce.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I would make a couple small changes personally. I think Turner Elson is the hardest worker, I would say Jankowski had the biggest breakout this year and IMO Mangiapane is the biggest risk/reward as there is little risk to Jankowski.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
I would make a couple small changes personally. I think Turner Elson is the hardest worker, I would say Jankowski had the biggest breakout this year and IMO Mangiapane is the biggest risk/reward as there is little risk to Jankowski.

I see where you are with that, like in terms of risk/reward ON ICE. Yea I'd totally agree.

I always base the risk/reward prospect off of basically...what the team has invested in them versus what they could be. That kind of risk reward. On ice you are totally right, off ice...having spent the 1st on Jankowski...pretty risky if he does not pan out, but he could be a good 2/3C otherwise. So.

Yea that's a confusing award title now that I think of it because it could pertain to many things.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
A lot of risk in Mangiapane.

6th round pick on an ELC. It's scary how risky that is :sarcasm: It's like 100% reward :laugh:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I see where you are with that, like in terms of risk/reward ON ICE. Yea I'd totally agree.

I always base the risk/reward prospect off of basically...what the team has invested in them versus what they could be. That kind of risk reward. On ice you are totally right, off ice...having spent the 1st on Jankowski...pretty risky if he does not pan out, but he could be a good 2/3C otherwise. So.

Yea that's a confusing award title now that I think of it because it could pertain to many things.

I think both of you have excellent logic and I definitely understand where both of you are coming from.

Yours is more or less biggest investment leading to biggest risk/reward and 100TG's is more or less boom or bust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad