Calgary Flames Player Grades - 2017-18

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Here's an empty template. Grades range from A-F. Assign them based on your expectations for that certain player. I gave a player a spot only if they played more than 5 games
SkatersGradesExplanation
Forwards
Mikael Backlund
Sam Bennett
Troy Brouwer
Micheal Ferland
Michael Frolik
Johnny Gaudreau
Tanner Glass
Freddie Hamilton
Garnet Hathaway
Jaromir Jagr
Mark Jankowski
Curtis Lazar
Ryan Lomberg
Andrew Mangiapane
Sean Monahan
Nick Shore
Matt Stajan
Chris Stewart
Matthew Tkachuk
Kris Versteeg
Defensemen
Rasmus Andersson
Matt Bartkowski
T.J. Brodie
Mark Giordano
Dougie Hamilton
Travis Hamonic
Brett Kulak
Michael Stone
Goaltenders
Jon Gillies
David Rittich
Mike Smith
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
SkatersGradesExplanation
Forwards
Mikael BacklundCA down season for Backs, still mostly OK. Looks like Mr. Selke had the worst +/- in the team.
Sam BennettDExpected big strides forward, got nothing.
Troy BrouwerDDecent 4th liner but with big contract come big expectations which he did not fill at all.
Micheal FerlandBPositive surprise, still very inconsistent. Showed flashes of something really good at times.
Michael FrolikDInvisible this year, which is a shame because I'm a big fan. Capped the season with an uncharacteristic dirty slewfoot on Chychrun.
Johnny GaudreauAHe's our entire offense.
Tanner GlassCExpected worst player in the league, got non-descript 4th liner.
Freddie HamiltonN/AN/A
Garnet HathawayCExpected a ball of energy, which we got but seemed to lose steam as the season progressed. He's Josh Jooris.
Jaromir JagrDWas a nice story while it lasted.
Mark JankowskiBGood rookie season.
Curtis LazarDDisposable 4th line buzzer.
Ryan LombergN/A
Andrew MangipaneN/A
Sean MonahanBBoring as ever but effective. Don't think it's a complete coincidence that the team fell right off a cliff when Sean started struggling with injuries.
Nick ShoreBGood pickup, should make our bottom 6 better next year.
Matt StajanDThanks for all the years Matt.
Chris StewartDHe scored a goal.
Matthew TkachukAGreat player and a real difference maker.
Kris VersteegDDidn't do much.
Defensemen
Rasmus AnderssonBLooked good, should not spend another minute in Stockton next year.
Matt BartkowskiDMeh.
T.J. BrodieDAnother disappointing season. I refuse to believe he has just forgotten how to play hockey. Blame Gulutzan.
Mark GiordanoANo complaints, what a pro.
Dougie HamiltonBCould have given him an A really, but I think he can be even better.
Travis HamonicCTurned out to be a solid 2nd pairing guy. Not worth the acquisition price but that's hardly his fault.
Brett KulakBWas never a big fan but he was pretty good this year.
Michael StoneDMeh.
Goaltenders
Jon GilliesDHe was pretty bad most of the time.
David RittichCBetter than Gillies, would be OK with him as a backup next year.
Mike SmithBBrilliant start, then injured, then meh.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
To sum things up I'd just like to say Fire Gulutzan.

Reactions: Pekkas Purse

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
SkatersGradesExplanation
Forwards
Mikael BacklundB-Is a meatball
Sam BennettCDidn’t improve much.
Troy BrouwerCDidn’t rebound fully
Micheal FerlandB+Did a pretty good job filling in on the top line for awhile.
Michael FrolikCDown year but given his injuries understandable.
Johnny GaudreauA-Broke 80 points. Enough said. Faultered once we were struggling though.
Tanner GlassCDid his job I guess.
Freddie HamiltonFWaived
Garnet HathawayAFilled in on lines he had no business playing on. One of those only guys on this team with heart.
Jaromir JagrD-Was injured a lot. Wasn’t very useful when he did manage to play.
Mark JankowskiB+Great rookie season from him.
Curtis LazarC-Low expectations, low results.
Ryan LombergB-I liked him in his cup of coffee, probably not an everyday player though.
Andrew MangipaneC+Not bad for a young rookie, hope for more out of him next year.
Sean MonahanBClutch as heck. Still room to improve though.
Nick ShoreAExcellent pick up, look forward to having him replace Stajan.
Matt StajanD-Guy is done.
Chris StewartFWorth the roll of the dice but guy is done.
Matthew TkachukA+Guy wants to win, future captain I think.
Kris VersteegC-Pretty much what we expect out of him.
Defensemen
Rasmus AnderssonBLooked good so far to me.
Matt BartkowskiFGuy shouldn’t be playing.
T.J. BrodieC-Still struggling, not sure what to think of him at this point.
Mark GiordanoBGreat player, not so sure I believe in him as a captain anymore though, sadly.
Dougie HamiltonB+Guy is a stud. Future all around #1D
Travis HamonicBGood heart, played well for the most part I thought.
Brett KulakB-Showed some good improvement this season, hope it continues.
Michael StoneB-Overpayed for his role, but I thought he did alright this year.
Goaltenders
Jon GilliesCDidn’t do as much as I had hoped. Needs a strong season next year.
David RittichC+Better than I expected but had a lot of lapses.
Mike SmithAProbably the team MVP.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
SkatersGradesExplanation
Forwards
Mikael BacklundBShowed he's an excellent defensive forward again. Couldn't replicate the offensive success he had last year but he was never put in that position anyway.
Sam BennettB-There was about a month or so where he was our best player. Even when he wasn't putting up points, he still had a positive impact most night. Needs to cut down on the penalties and I think he needs a new coach
Troy BrouwerC-He's miles better than last season but that's not saying much. He's being grossly misused though as he will never fit a possession system. Would put up more points if he was in the slot on the PP
Micheal FerlandB+He's got an unbelievable shot but despite posting career highs, he's gone missing too often on the first line in my opinion
Michael FrolikC+He's a consistent player but this was just not his season. Still good defensively but he was a nonfactor offensively this season
Johnny GaudreauA+Flames fans don't appreciate him enough. Was in on like 40% of our goals this season. We'd be in the gutter without him
Tanner GlassDWe shouldn't really re-sign him. Good teammate I guess but he didn't really help us with anything
Freddie HamiltonDGood 14th forward. Should've drawn in more though
Garnet HathawayC+Perfect 4th line RW but he shouldn't be a fixture on the 3rd line. One of the character guys we should re-sign
Jaromir JagrBI actually thought he looked like a middle 6er until his injury. Shame it didn't work out
Mark JankowskiBDecent rookie campaign but he hit a wall after the bye week. Hopefully he can adjust for next season.
Curtis LazarDKnows where to go but doesn't know what to do with the puck afterwards. He brings a lot of energy but I would trade him to re-coup a pick
Ryan LombergCSeems like a heart-and-soul kinda guy. Don't think we'll see much of him next season though
Andrew MangipaneB-He impressed but wasn't really put in a position to succeed on the 4th line. He did start their renaissance though.
Sean MonahanA-Fantastic season that was eventually marred by injury. Made great strides defensively. Would still like to see him try to carry the puck more but it'll never happen while he's with Johnny
Nick ShoreB+He should be a fixture on our 4th line next season. Guy fits a big hole in our line-up as a skilled bottom 6er.
Matt StajanC+Started the season off poorly and put the team in precarious positions with his penalties sometimes. But he finished strongly and hit 1000 games. The locker room will miss him if it's the end
Chris Stewart-I only think I caught 1 game of his against the Oilers.
Matthew TkachukA+He's a star in the making, simply put. He exceeded everyone's expectations and never showed signs of a sophomore slump. Time to get him off of the shutdown line
Kris VersteegFSucks he got injured and it might be the end for his NHL career. Thought he was dreadful before the injury which was surprising after a good pre-season
Defensemen
Rasmus AnderssonBHe should be in the NHL next season on our third pairing. Moves the puck extremely well and is smart defensively
Matt BartkowskiFDefensive liability. A coach should try him on the wing
T.J. BrodieB-He needs to be put back on the right side again and should have his minutes cut a bit so he can simplify his game. He rebounded strongly, in my opinion, after a poor Oct-Nov. His offensive talent is being completely wasted under GG's system - guy is probably a top 3 playmaker on our team.
Mark GiordanoA+He's a bonafide #1D and was a rock defensively as well. Another case of offensive talent being wasted but I get the sense his legs are starting to go and he'll be more Vlasic than Subban as the years roll on.
Dougie HamiltonB-He was completely anonymous until February when he started putting up good numbers. Needs to use his body more and still has a long way to go defensively before being #1D-quality.
Travis HamonicA-I thought he was our second best defenseman all season when it came to defending. I liked the trade and he's a good character guy too.
Brett KulakBHe didn't really make the team out of merit after a terrible pre-season but he's looked good as our #6 guy, albeit in a sheltered role. Gotten better as the season went along
Michael StoneDNumbers went down significantly. Thought he took some ill-timed penalties and there too many "controller disconnected" moments in my opinion.
Goaltenders
Jon GilliesCGreat athleticism which is used for some remarkable saves, but there are more moments where it seems like he doesn't have his fundamentals down. Plays very nervous too.
David RittichBHe impressed quite a lot but he's not ready for anything more than a back-up role. Doesn't appear like he gets nervous but his play starts dropping once frustration sets in.
Mike SmithA+Our MVP in my opinion. Made us look respectable when we were anything but this season. He might've been rusty upon coming back from injury but the team wasn't helping him offensively either
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
SkatersGradesExplanation
Forwards
Mikael BacklundDNeeded more on the offensive side though I realize it’s hard to score when GG buries you in the d-zone
Sam BennettDWas expecting a breakout, and the underlyings got better but still lacking. Best bottom six guy though
Troy BrouwerC+I’m too harsh on Brouwer all the time but he did pretty much as expected this year, maybe just a little worse
Micheal FerlandA-Great first half marred by injury/inconsistency later in the season. Blew away expectations for a while
Michael FrolikDSame thing as Backlund. Next year will be better
Johnny GaudreauA-Was looking like a legit threat for the Art Ross until the season went off the rails. He did better than I expected but I know that he knows that he could have done even better
Tanner GlassBBad at hockey but better than I expected. If the Flames hire AV expect to see a lot more of Glass next year, which wouldn’t necessarily be awful
Freddie HamiltonB-Looked solid in the games he did play
Garnet HathawayB+I did not think I would ever look at Hathaway and say “this guy is an NHLer” but I kind of do now
Jaromir JagrA+God do I hope he comes back
Mark JankowskiC+Hardest guy to rank for me. After dominating the AHL I expected more than 25 points, but I do realize how hard it is to score in the bottom 6 with no PP time. I would like to see him get better deployments next season
Curtis LazarDI expected a season like Jankowski had points wise, but I do like his compete
Ryan LombergN/aOnly caught a few games, not enough to rank
Andrew MangipaneN/aOnly caught one game, not enough to rank him, though the stat line is underwhelming for how he dominated the AHL
Sean MonahanA-Same story as Gaudreau. Started awesome, then faded. How much of it was due to regression and how much due to injury is tbd. I definitely don’t appreciate him enough
Nick ShoreB+Expected more offense, but the guy is everything you want in a bottom liner
Matt StajanA+4 in a bottom six role. A great #4C. Would have liked to see more offense but this is GG hockey we’re talking about. I wish that he’d come back but I think he’s been run out of town. Best of luck to him next year
Chris StewartB+Thought he was pretty good in his limited ice time. Quick feet. Wouldn’t mind hanging onto him as a depth option, but I’d rather Hathaway if I have to pick one #4RW
Matthew TkachukA+Was not expecting the offense to come like it did and definitely was not expecting 24 goals. I know his brother probably isn’t as good but I still kind of want to vastly overpay for him to maximize storyline potential
Kris VersteegCLike Brouwer, not great at hockey, but did about as well as expected. Did not expect him to be the key piece of the PP that he is though
Defensemen
Rasmus AnderssonC-Not as good as I expected given his dominance of the AHL. Displays strong poise and confidence, but does panic in his own zone more than I’d like, and really needs to get faster
Matt BartkowskiB+He was not the worst player in the NHL that I was convinced he was but he’s still not great
T.J. BrodieDDisaster season never stopped. I really hope we haven’t seen the last of him as a Flame because he is so much better than he’s shown this year
Mark GiordanoBWould have like to see some more fire, more put-the-team-on-my-back than he displayed but he still is an elite d-man and probably the second most impactful Flames skater out there, though he is expected to be
Dougie HamiltonB-Would like to see more fire, more anger but that’s not Dougie. Still a tremendous season and still getting better, but I expected it out of him
Travis HamonicD+Expected a lot more but he did show some things that showed why Brad valued him so highly. Would love to see him used properly because his puck rushing is a lot better than I expected
Brett KulakB-About as I expected, still needs to clean up the big gaffes but generally pretty solid
Michael StoneC+Didn’t look much like the guy that came in during the stretch last year but he still showed his value in the D-zone. I wish he was meaner but if he was then he wouldn’t have been so cheap to acquire
Goaltenders
Jon GilliesN/aDidn’t watch enough of his games but it’s starting to feel like it will never get all put together for Gillies here
David RittichC+Expected a little more but he was just okay. Comfortable with him as the backup next year
Mike SmithABlew away my expectations from day 1 even though the season didn’t end the way he wanted
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

B- is my “met expectations” score

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
SkatersGradesExplanation
Forwards
Mikael Backlund B Not as good as last season but I suspect he'll bounce back next season.
Sam Bennett C+ Didn't take the step that I thought he would. Really inconsistent in terms of how he gets his points.
Troy Brouwer C Better than last season and not his fault that the coaching staff kept misusing him.
Micheal Ferland B+ 1st half was amazing, really thought he'd reach 30 goals but he completely disappeared after the bye-week.
Michael Frolik C Wasn't the same after his injury, hopefully he can bounce back to 0.5ppg next season.
Johnny Gaudreau A+ Tremendous season, slowed down towards the end but so did the whole team, this guy is our offence.
Tanner Glass C Did what he had to do. Props to going after Lucic in the last BOA
Freddie Hamilton C Looked like a typical 4th liner in the games he played
Garnet Hathaway B- Perfect in a 4th line role, not his fault the coaches were insistent on keeping him on the 3rd line.
Jaromir Jagr C Injuries messed up his time here, which was a shame but still really cool to have him wear the Flaming C
Mark Jankowski BSolid rookie season, disappeared for much of the season after the bye-week but hell so did the rest of the team, hopefully he can build on this season and get somewhere between 30-40 points next season.
Curtis Lazar C Was a fan of his energy but this guy is just lost with the puck. The trade for him looks really bad now.
Ryan Lomberg C Liked his jump but don't expect him to ever be an every-day player
Andrew Mangipane B- Looked good in his time up here, wish he was used in a bit more of an offensive role
Sean MonahanA- Our best goal-scorer, really clutch and vastly under-appreciated here. His defensive game took steps forward, would like to see him defer to Johnny less next season. Props to him for playing through 2 injuries for close to a month.
Nick Shore A- Really impressed so far, I believe he'll be a solid bottom 6/Pk player next season that we could send out to take defensive responsibilities late in games to decrease Back's workload.
Matt Stajan B- For much of the season he was the best/most consistent bottom 6 player. Glad he got to 1000 games and if it's the end of the road for him here I'll miss him.
Chris StewartC Typical 4th line player
Matthew Tkachuk A+ 24 goals was not expected, he along with Mike Smith are the Heart and Soul of this team, future captain and leader IMO. Can't wait for him to take more steps forward next season.
Kris Versteeg C Was pretty meh before he was shutdown, didn't expect the PP to go down south without him
Defensemen
Rasmus AnderssonB Looked good, sucked that he didn't get any points but hopefully he is an everyday player next season
Matt Bartkowski D Don't want him brought back
T.J. Brodie C Another disappointing season but I hope he stays and can get back to the pre-Gulutzan Brodie under a different coach. There's no way he fell off a cliff like some posters here suggest.
Mark Giordano B+Still our best d-man and a legit #1 guy. Have to wonder how long he can keep that play up as he ages.
Dougie Hamilton B+ Best offensive d-man, such a shame it took until February for him to get on PP1, if only he could translate his 2nd half play into the 1st half.
Travis Hamonic B Behind Gio he was our best defensive d-man. Love him as a person and his story have nothing but respect for him. Also love how he always stuck up for teammates out on the ice.
Brett Kulak B- Better than I expected, had some gaffes but looked solid and hopefully he can stay on an upward trend
Michael Stone C+ Didn't look like the guy we had last year but still decent in his role. Seems like the most logical bet to be traded to make room for Andersson
Goaltenders
Jon GilliesC Makes some flashy saves mostly because his rebound control sucks. His positioning is also really odd at times, the potential is there for him to be a 1B type goaltender but just needs to clean up his game.
David Rittich BAmazing in a backup role where he'd play once every two weeks got us points in 7/8 starts. His play dropped off when Smith went down but hopefully that experience can help him. Wouldn't mind seeing him in a backup role again next season
Mike Smith A Was the team MVP first half, looked a bit dis-orientated after his injury but who knows if he was fully recovered or not. Overall without him playing the way he did in the 1st half we probably would have been a lot lower down the standings. If possible for next season I'd like to see his workload lowered so he can stay healthy for the full season.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
SkatersGradesExplanation
Forwards
Mikael BacklundB-Not as good as last year.
Sam BennettDI hope he can turn it around, but aside from a strong 15 game stretch or so, he was basically useless. I know he was played with lower quality teammates, but 25 points is inexcusable.
Troy BrouwerD-Reliable for the 4th line, got better as the year went on. Not worth the price though.
Micheal FerlandC+Started off really hot, then cooled off entirely. What was once a 45ish goal pace became 21 goals.
Michael FrolikD-Love Frolik, but he was pretty unreliable this year. Defensive game is still strong, but his offense dried up this year.
Johnny GaudreauA-Cooled off a bit, but was still by far the Flames best player
Tanner GlassNAI would say an F, but when he got recalled and stood up for his teammates, I earned a bit more respect for him. The guy got buried all year, gets recalled, and still shows that passion. Won't grade him, but that heart is something the Flames really lack.
Freddie HamiltonNAFamilton was a decent 13th forward.
Garnet HathawayDDecent 13th forward. Wouldn't want him as a regular.
Jaromir JagrC
Mark JankowskiCDecent 3rd line center. Hope he steps up next year.
Curtis LazarDI was disappointed with him. Was hoping for a 25 point poor mans Ferland. Instead we got a slightly better Freddie Hamilton
Ryan LombergCI like him, I hope he can be a 4th line energy guy someday.
Andrew MangiapaneC-Wasn't really impressed aside from that first game.
Sean MonahanA-Considering he was playing injured, I thought he was solid.
Nick ShoreB-I like him and he'd better be brought back next year.
Matt StajanDLove Stajan, but I think it's time to move on. If not, bring him back as a guy that gets rotated out, keep Shore as the 4C.
Chris StewartFF is for f*** off.
Matthew TkachukA+Loved him. I still see him as a 40g/80p player someday.
Kris VersteegDHard to grade him when he only played 24 games.
Defensemen
Rasmus AnderssonC+Hope he's a regular next year.
Matt BartkowskiD-Love his speed, but that's it.
T.J. BrodieC-Meh. I see him being dealt this off-season
Mark GiordanoB+Still solid.
Dougie HamiltonB+See above.
Travis HamonicB-I liked him overall. Terrible start, but got much better as the year went on.
Brett KulakC+Decent season.
Michael StoneDI see him being dealt.
Goaltenders
Jon GilliesC-
David RittichC-
Rittich was better to start with, but once the pressure was on, Rittich collapsed.
Mike SmithA+++He was the only reason Calgary was in the race until he got injured. MVP
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Cyrano

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
SkatersGradesExplanation
Forwards
Mikael BacklundCAverage at best
Sam BennettFWhere is 18 yrs old Sam Bennett?
Troy BrouwerDOverpaid
Micheal FerlandCA+ some games, F- others
Michael FrolikDMajor disappointment
Johnny GaudreauABest player, maybe too high but what else do you want from him
Tanner GlassN/AWho?
Freddie HamiltonN/ASee Tanner Glass
Garnet HathawayDMisused by GG. A 13th forward
Jaromir JagrDNice seeing you
Mark JankowskiCSome good games, sometime not sure what he is doing
Curtis LazarDAnother 13th forward
Ryan LombergDAnother 13th forward
Andrew MangiapaneN/AOverrated by lots of people
Sean MonahanBGreat start then meh hopefully because he was hurt
Nick ShoreCProbably decent 4th line center
Matt StajanFMisused by GG
Chris StewartFUseless Floater...Good bye
Matthew TkachukAFuture
Kris VersteegDWould be F except he got hurt so upgraded to D
Defensemen
Rasmus AnderssonCNot sure where the hype is coming from but he played OK
Matt BartkowskiF
T.J. BrodieDSoft...brain farts too many times
Mark GiordanoBGood not great
Dougie HamiltonBLed the league in goals so it meant something but overall was less than I hope for
Travis HamonicCNot worth a lottery pick
Brett KulakCDecent bottom pairing
Michael StoneCOK bottom pairing but overpaid
Goaltenders
Jon GilliesCHis numbers look better than his play. I wanted to give him F some time.
David RittichCOK back up.
Mike SmithBWas number 1 for 70% of the season, Elliott like in the last month
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Here's an empty template. Grades range from A-F. Assign them based on your expectations for that certain player. I gave a player a spot only if they played more than 5 games
SkatersGradesExplanation
Forwards
Mikael BacklundBStill was good defensively, would've liked to see him take another step forward offensively
Sam BennettDTeam success depended a lot on Bennett figuring it out offensively. Didn't happen again. Also still majority stakeholder of the Bennalty box.
Troy BrouwerFTerrible. Wish he wasn't on the team.
Micheal FerlandC+Played half the season looking like a first line sniper. Finished it off looking like a rink burger tester in the press box. Hoping news comes out he played through an injury the second half of the year.
Michael FrolikC-Slow, didn't score. Big disappointment.
Johnny GaudreauAJohnny does what he does.
Tanner GlassE-Lol
Freddie HamiltonN/ADon't even remember a game he played before being traded so can't comment.
Garnet HathawayB-I feel I may be in the minority but I like what I see from Hathaway as a bottom 6 guy. Has a bit of speed and energy, something this team lacks. Yes I know he has little to no talent.
Jaromir JagrDI dunno he wasn't here that long and was hurt so whatever.
Mark JankowskiCLike to have Jank up and see what we have in him. Needs to fill out and play more stronger. Went through some ice cold stretches but I think there's some talent there.
Curtis LazarCDoes what he was does on the fourth line where he belongs.
Ryan LombergDGod bless him for trying
Andrew MangiapaneN/ADidn't get a long enough look to make a judgement on him
Sean MonahanA-Only because I wish he would've just got whatever he was playing through fixed earlier instead of playing through it.. Money was good this year.
Nick ShoreCI dunno didn't get a long look at him but looks alright as a bottom 6 guy.
Matt StajanDFinally he'll be gone.
Chris StewartFTerrible
Matthew TkachukAThe f***ing man
Kris VersteegC-Without him our powerplay was non-existent apparently (??)
Defensemen
Rasmus AnderssonBLiked what I saw. Hoping he's on the team next year.
Matt BartkowskiFMaybe the worst dman in the league
T.J. BrodieDBiggest disappointed on the team.
Mark GiordanoAThere goes that man
Dougie HamiltonBSoft as butter, but good to see him put that puck in the net and contribute offensively.
Travis HamonicC-I was pretty underwhelmed with Hamonic
Brett KulakCHe tries but I mean he is what he is.
Michael StoneC-Stone was pretty brutal. Expected more.
Goaltenders
Jon GilliesCDon't know why but expected Gillies to come in and play better than he did
David RittichB-Thought he was alright, could be better/
Mike SmithA-We'd be a bottom 5 team if it wasn't for Smith at the beginning of the season.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
SkatersGradesExplanation
Forwards
Mikael BacklundC-Between Frolik and Tkachuk being injured he came back to earth. He is a 3rd Line C
Sam BennettCSam should have been with Johnny and Sean when Ferly faded. End stop
Troy BrouwerCHe was not horrid but his contact demands more. 4th line
Micheal FerlandCFerly does not belong on the top line. He would be a good 2nd or 3rd line winger.
Michael FrolikBTake out his injury and recovery and he played well.
Johnny GaudreauAJohnny needs scorers around him and when Sean went down he had nobody.
Spencer FooB-Didn't bring it in training camp but his season end was good
Tanner GlassCNot an every day player but brings passion. Fills his role and contract.
Garnet HathawayD+He is not an NHLer. The guy has heart but there are better options.
Mark JankowskiB+Never had consistent linemates, little pp time and little skill with him. Better than Backs
Curtis LazarC-The kid can skate. He just needs the right coach to get him that offensive confidence.
Ryan LombergD-Not an NHLer
Andrew MangiapaneC-Needs more time in the AHL
Sean MonahanAThe quiet leader of the team. Would likely have been a career year if not injured in Jan.
Nick ShoreCThe potential for the bottom 6 next year is there. Needs some polishing.
Matt StajanC-The guy gave his all unfortunately that all is getting too slow and fades through the game.
Thanks for your time Matt.
Chris StewartF--Slow. Useless. How did he make it this far.
Matthew TkachukA+His line-mates did nothing and still brought numbers. He is the Heart of this team.
Kris VersteegCPerformed well until he was injured. Injury likely ends his career.
DefensemenThe D-Men Really could use a different coach.
Rasmus AnderssonBThis kid can skate and needs more time in the NHL. Has better potential than Hamilton
Matt BartkowskiCHe was the perfect bench warmer. Very good for the dressing room.
T.J. BrodieCBrodie needs a better coach. He is not being used properly.
Mark GiordanoAGio is the best Player on the team Still. He is being forced to fill Hamiltons gaps and does anything to win.
Dougie HamiltonB-If it weren't for Gio Hamilton's flaws would be very apparent.
Travis HamonicCAfter a slow start Travis started getting into the flow.
Brett KulakBKulak Played very well for his first year. Kulak was 4 points better in corsi than his pairing partner.
Michael StoneD-Only thing he has is a shot.
Goaltenders
Jon GilliesBShort of some nerves Jon played well. He is Calgary's Future. He will be in the NHL next year.
David RittichB-Did well as a back-up. Like Hiller it is only time until his weaknesses are exploited.
Mike SmithAIf he only weren't injured
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Gully needs to go.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Should add the GM and coaches

Glen Gulutzan: F---- Bad system, does not fit team. Too slow to make changes when needed. what the hell is he doing with the PP? Lack passion, cant motivate team for key games. I think the team gave up on him in the last month.

Brad Treliving: D----took a bad gamble, strip the team of draft picks, put them in bad position moving forward. Never address key weakness up front, doesnt know what he is doing with free agents. I do not think he knows what a good forward looks like

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Should add the GM and coaches

Glen Gulutzan: F---- Bad system, does not fit team. Too slow to make changes when needed. what the hell is he doing with the PP? Lack passion, cant motivate team for key games. I think the team gave up on him in the last month.

Brad Treliving: D----took a bad gamble, strip the team of draft picks, put them in bad position moving forward. Never address key weakness up front, doesnt know what he is doing with free agents. I do not think he knows what a good forward looks like

Because we don't have enough threads already bashing coaching and management?

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
SkatersGradesExplanation
Forwards
Mikael BacklundBRoughly as good as last year, just had worse puck luck, worse linemates, and overall played on a poorer team.
Sam BennettD-Elite #1C, Hart trophy finalist
Troy BrouwerCI don't hate Brouwer nearly as much as other folks on this board and think that overall he was better than last season.
Micheal FerlandC+Congrats to Ferly on 20 goals, but I expected more from him this year. I do think his playing style is a great fit for the top line though, and if we replace him this offseason it should be with a guy who plays a similar style and pace.
Michael FrolikCPretty unexpected. Wasn't the same after injury.
Johnny GaudreauAWent above and beyond, and showed character this year I hadn't seen in previous seasons. The driver of the offense.
Tanner GlassWho? He had a good fight.
Freddie HamiltonHe seemed nice.
Garnet HathawayD+Was great to start out the season but fell off hard. Overall I expected a bit of a better hockey player given the numbers he was putting up in the AHL so this was a little disappointing.
Jaromir JagrNice he decided to sign here, too bad he couldn't play hockey anymore.
Mark JankowskiB-I honestly expected very little from Jankowski but he had a pretty solid year despite some stretches where he was invisible. I think he'll end up a good middle-six C.
Curtis LazarD-I think there's still a chance he becomes something more but for now he's not been much to write home about.
Ryan LombergLiked what he brought in limited showings. Next year he'll be completely toothless and disengaged.
Andrew MangiapaneThe hype around this kid is excessive, but I'd still like to see him make the starting roster next year.
Sean MonahanAHe brought his game up a whole nother level and played through two injuries until we were mathematically eliminated. Nobody appreciates Monahan like they should.
Nick ShoreD+Taking into account his full season, it seemed like he played pretty solid hockey even when being moved every other week, but this was a guy who started out with a lot of potential. There's still a chance he becomes something else next year.
Matt StajanC-I'm glad he's on this team, all things considered. Congrats on 1,000 games, what a milestone.
Chris StewartD+Saw an okay amount of him with the Wild too. Talk about a guy that's totally dropped off.
Matthew TkachukAHe's really gonna be something special in a year or two. One of the only guys who consistently brings his all.
Kris VersteegA shame he was injured all year. Probably won't be back.
Defensemen
Rasmus AnderssonDidn't see enough of him to tell whether he's really ready for this league.
Matt BartkowskiGood team player, but I'm glad he's not on the starting roster.
T.J. BrodieBPeople shit on Brodie mercilessly all year but I don't think he was any worse this year than last. Still think he's the D-man we can most afford to trade for help up front.
Mark GiordanoA-Really hoped he could show a little more offense this year, but I'm really happy this guy is the captain. Another good year from Gio.
Dougie HamiltonA-The fact that people want to trade this kid is insane. He was our MVP last year in my opinion, and was damn near to it this year. His defense has taken a huge step forward as well.
Travis HamonicCNot half as good as people say he is, and not worth the assets we moved or the money we're paying for him. I like the guy, but I don't think he made us a lot better.
Brett KulakDThought he had a little bit more in him than what he showed us this year. Still think he's an NHLer and would like to see what he does next year with Andersson.
Michael StoneD+Not awful, but the guy I'd most like to trade. Andersson probably deserves to be on this team more than he does.
Goaltenders
Jon GilliesDidn't see very much of him, but from what I did, his fundamentals were brutal. Don't think he gets a lot more playing time.
David RittichFelt like we saw a lot of Ritter, but 21 games is really nothing. From what we did see though, I'm cautiously optimistic.
Mike SmithB+Smith is a weird situation because there were times when he was out and out our best player, but I really do think that his poor play coming back from injury was the nail in the coffin. I expected more of a player who was average to good all year than one with high highs and low lows. Still the best goalie we've had since Kipper.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
SkatersGradesExplanation
Forwards
Mikael BacklundBOverall good season. He has had stretches where he was stellar.
Sam BennettCExpected more from him (Strong believer he will figure his shit out.)
Troy BrouwerZ...
Micheal FerlandC+The strong 10-20 games he has wasn't enough for me...
Michael FrolikCUnder performed.
Johnny GaudreauAWhat an amazing season. Without him, our offense would be horrid.
Tanner Glass-
Freddie Hamilton-
Garnet HathawayCNothing special. Expected a little bit more especially when he saw more ice time.
Jaromir Jagr-
Mark JankowskiB+Good season for the rook.
Curtis LazarC-
Ryan Lomberg-
Andrew Mangiapane-
Sean MonahanA
Nick ShoreBI think he will be an important piece on this team next season.
Matt StajanC
Chris Stewart-
Matthew TkachukA
Kris VersteegBwhat a difference he made on the PP.. We missed him in second half of season.
Defensemen
Rasmus AnderssonB
Matt BartkowskiC
T.J. BrodieC
Mark GiordanoA
Dougie HamiltonA
Travis HamonicB
Brett KulakB
Michael StoneB
Goaltenders
Jon GilliesD
David RittichC
Mike SmithB+
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[/QUOTE]

I'm at work so i cant go into too much depth...

Reactions: Sk8M8

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
SkatersGradesExplanation
Forwards
Mikael BacklundC+Was MIA a fair amount compared to his previous consistency year after year.
Sam BennettC+Really spotty. Had some awful slump periods and some penalty trouble. Finished off the last third of the season strong.
Troy BrouwerC+I don't have that many complaints. Not very good, but more or less did what he was asked to do.
Micheal FerlandCDisappointing year and I'm sure he would agree. But I don't think in his case it's for lack of effort. Sucks for him he got bumped off of the top line for stretches.
Michael FrolikC-Most disappointing member of the 3M line for me. The guy just didn't do much for us this year.
Johnny GaudreauA-I thought Johnny put in the most consistent effort of all of our forwards. He also was the most consistent point contributor. I'd like to see him reel in his complaining about calls etc. (mostly for his sake long term); his attitude could use some refining still. And I'd like to see him get a bit stronger still in the off-season. But it was a solid campaign overall.
Tanner Glass---
Freddie Hamilton---
Garnet HathawayB-For what he is, I have no complaints about Garnet. He is what he is and did it fairly well IMO.
Jaromir JagrB-Was what was expected until he was released. Was sort of disappointed in how that all played out, unfortunately.
Mark JankowskiBGood rookie year. He could be a solid contributor going forward but needs to work on his lateral mobility and foot speed big time. Lots of upside still and a respectable first year in the league.
Curtis LazarCHasn't lived up to the expectation yet I don't believe. Kind of a Ferland lite IMO.
Ryan Lomberg---
Andrew MangiapaneBPerformed to expectation. Satisfactory showings.
Sean MonahanBHis goal total was good. Had a strong start, abysmal December, and was hit and miss after that until injury ended the season for him. This has been commented on enough. But I want to see him come back healthy and then perform at a high level consistently (ie 70+ games with an A+ effort and impact).
Nick Shore---
Matt StajanB+Surprising A- maybe, but for the life of me, Matt is what he is for a fourth-liner. Overpaid yes. But he performs well in his duties of 4th line and PK.
Chris Stewart---
Matthew TkachukA-Heart and soul guy that's showing a surprising amount of skill and production IMO. Took a big step forward with how he's being used now on the PP. Only knock is some of the dirty play that could haunt him if he's not careful.
Kris Versteeg---
Defensemen
Rasmus Andersson---
Matt Bartkowski---
T.J. BrodieCHorribly inconsistent with the puck for the first half of the season. Second half was much better. Playing on his off wing, as others have pointed out, may have been part of the struggle in the first half. He plays a full size below what he is too. I'd be packaging him for top end first line talent. He still has the cache for trade value.
Mark GiordanoA-Excellent season for our captain. One of the few bright lights. The guy does not seem to be losing a step at all.
Dougie HamiltonA-I thought Dougie had an excellent campaign as well. Lots of goals, lots of solid playmaking. The guy knows when to step up into the rush, pinch, and is much better with his shot selection (Dougie shin-pads-shot is no longer applicable). Has such potential long term for us.
Travis HamonicC- Very disappointing after all the ballyhoo. Got marginally better toward the end of the season along with Brodie. Hopefully he performs better next year.
Brett Kulak---
Michael StoneB-No complaints, played to expectation.
Goaltenders
Jon Gillies---
David RittichCUnderwhelming.
Mike SmithB+Was amazing for most of the year, struggled coming back down the stretch.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
SkatersGradesExplanation
Forwards
Mikael BacklundBHis play fell off late in the season, but I'm trying not to hold it against him considering how the team fell apart. Still one of the better defensive players in the league, but his offense REALLY dried up towards the end of the season.
Sam BennettD+Aside from his 10 game hot streak in December, he felt mostly invisible. He has talent, but it seems like he can only use it every once in awhile. I wish he would've been given a chance to play on the top line when Ferland was struggling.
Troy BrouwerDHe does a decent job on the PK, but he's too slow to be very useful at even strength now.
Micheal FerlandC+About what I expected from him this season. His massive cold streak at the end of the year brings his grade down, but he's an alright complimentary player for Monahan and Gaudreau.
Michael FrolikC-Still a great defensive winger, but his offense was basically non-existent when he came back from injury.
Johnny GaudreauACarried the offense for most of the year. I find that he tries to force passes a bit too often, but it's hard to complain about a guy who contributes so much to the team's scoring.
Tanner GlassDHonestly a bit better than I expected, but still not a player worthy of the full-time lineup.
Freddie HamiltonFI've always thought he was one of the slower players in the league. There's better players to be given the opportunity as our 13th forward.
Garnet HathawayCI thought he was deserving of a spot over Bouma last season. He's not a 3rd line player, but I think he'd be fine on the 4th line.
Jaromir JagrD+He still has great puck protection skills, but he's so slow that he's not very effective overall. It was kinda funny how many times I saw him pat younger players on the back as they flew by him on the backcheck. Cool experience having him as a Flame.
Mark JankowskiC+He's shown that he has a good shot and decent hands. I hope he can continue to develop in a 3rd line role.
Curtis LazarDSkates fast, but that's about it. No offensive skillset; very replaceable. I was hopeful when we traded for him, but tbh I'd rather just have our 2nd round pick.
Ryan LombergD+He absolutely flies on the forecheck, but that's pretty much all I noticed about him.
Andrew MangiapaneC-Kinda reminded me of a lesser-skilled Gaudreau that had no idea where to be on the ice. He's quick with good skills. Playing with Stajan and Lazar didn't help.
Sean MonahanAI'm shocked at how little some Flames fans value Monahan. There's not many players in the league with his ability to score in tight. He's not flashy, but he gets the job done. I've always thought he was better defensively than alot of people give him credit for as well.
Nick ShoreN/ADidn't really watch him enough.
Matt StajanD+His first half was pretty brutal, but he picked it up later on. I'm thinking this might've been his last season in the league. Great guy
Chris StewartN/A
Matthew TkachukAHe's been exceeding all expectations so far. Super strong down low/in front of the net. Great IQ and passing abilities. Super pest who's very good defensively already. He took his promotion to the top PP and ran with it; he's definitely the best Flame at tips/redirections. If he can quicken his shot release a bit, he could definitely be a much better goalscorer than expected, though I think his playmaking is even better.
Kris VersteegC-It feels like so long ago since I got to watch him play that it was difficult to pin down an exact grade for him.
Defensemen
Rasmus AnderssonC+I liked what I saw from him. Good skills. I hope he gets a shot at a full-time spot next season.
Matt BartkowskiDNot very good. Fast though. He's as smooth as any player on the Flames rushing the puck through the neutral zone, it's just that he doesn't know how to play hockey on the other side of the blue lines.
T.J. BrodieD+I was hoping for a comeback season after his good play in the 2nd half of last season, but no such luck. Every once in awhile he has a good game, but for the most part it looks like he's lost defensively. His play along the boards has gone way downhill.
Mark GiordanoA-Still as solid as you could expect for a player of his age. He's a rock defensively and it's scary to think what the Flames defense would be like without him. Does anyone else feel like he looks faster this year than last?
Dougie HamiltonB+I was hoping for more, but he's steadily improving bit by bit. 2nd year in a row where he started off slow. He has a wicked shot and I honestly feel like his upside is Burns (though I'm not just expecting him to be that good).
Travis HamonicCStruggled early on, but was steady after a weak start. He's big and strong, and I think he has more to give offensively than he showed this year.
Brett KulakCI don't think I'm as high on him as most Flames fans. I don't see him as ever being more than an okay 3rd-pairing guy. Decent skater, but that's about all I can say about him. You don't notice him much, but that's actually probably a good thing for a 3rd-pairing defenseman.
Michael StoneCHe was mostly solid. He can throw some good hits every once in awhile. His play dropped off a bit towards the end of last season and I feel like he continued that level of play into this season.
Goaltenders
Jon GilliesD+Even when he was making saves I always thought he looked shaky. Athletic, but at his current level of play I wouldn't be comfortable with him in the NHL. I watched his start against Colorado live at the Saddledome where he made 28 of 29 saves (the one goal he let in was a shot from MacKinnon from behind the blueline), and even though his stats were good, I thought his play was sketchy.
David RittichC-Started off really well, but really faltered late in the season. He seemed like one of the better backups the Flames have had in awhile early on, but now I'm not so sure.
Mike SmithA-MVP for the first bit of the season. Much better than I was hoping for, and his puck skills are probably the best I've ever seen from a Flames goaltender. He's a more athletic goalie than you might expect for a guy his size. A bit questionable in goal after returning from injury, from so was the entire team.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
This should be nice and cathartic. My grades are relative to expectations for that player, not an absolute performance scale.

SkatersGradesExplanation
Forwards
Mikael BacklundB-His only crime was being unable to finish offensive chances this year, so his grade drops a little.
Sam BennettD+Another super disappointing season.
Troy BrouwerD+Could've been worse, but still nowhere near worth that contract.
Micheal FerlandBNice season.
Michael FrolikCMediocre compared to previous play.
Johnny GaudreauA+One of the only reasons to actually watch the team this season.
Tanner GlassC-Meh.
Freddie HamiltonC-Also meh.
Garnet HathawayC-Great! Then bad. Then great! Then bad. I think he eventually settled at "pretty decent."
Jaromir JagrCDecent when he wasn't injured.
Mark JankowskiBNice rookie season.
Curtis LazarD-Ugh.
Ryan LombergC-Meh.
Andrew MangiapaneCLimited minutes, but did alright.
Sean MonahanAExcellent all-around season, even playing through significant injuries.
Nick ShoreBSignificant improvement for the 4th line.
Matt StajanCHe tried. He was really the only reasonably effective part of the 4th line throughout the year.
Chris StewartFF is for f*** off, Chris Stewart.
Matthew TkachukA+No sophomore slump for Chucky. Great player, great season. High skill, big brain, heart and soul. Throw on some better skating and a harder shot and you have the ideal hockey player.
Kris VersteegC-Was just okay then he got injured for the whole year.
Defensemen
Rasmus AnderssonB-Did a lot of good things when he played. Not quite there for putting up points or defending larger/faster players, but not bad.
Matt BartkowskiC-Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
T.J. BrodieD+Looked okay near the end of the season, but early on had a ton of issues.
Mark GiordanoA-Great season as per usual. Didn't produce as much as he could, but otherwise zero complaints.
Dougie HamiltonAAlso great season.
Travis HamonicC-Expectations relative to Brodie are lower, so he gets the better score for being roughly as good over the season (each of the two had games where they were brutal).
Brett KulakBThe only guy outside of the top pairing who looked consistently like he knew what he was doing.
Michael StoneC-Take the body, lose possession of the puck. Shoot hard, miss net. Reminds me of a worse version of Bad Phaneuf.
Goaltenders
Jon GilliesC-Some good games, but very inconsistent.
David RittichC+Great run of games followed by falling apart.
Mike SmithB+Amazing start to the season, but petered off eventually, and was quite bad near the end.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
SkatersGradesExplanation
Forwards
Mikael BacklundFShould have won a Selke.
Sam BennettFShould have been at least 65-70 point 1C
Troy BrouwerFBad at hockey
Micheal FerlandDShould have scored 40 goals
Michael FrolikFterrible season
Johnny GaudreauBShould have been in Art Ross Race til game 82
Tanner GlassFNot an NHLer
Freddie HamiltonFPretty terrible
Garnet HathawayDGood for you. Now don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Jaromir JagrDProps for some of the help he brought to the kids off the ice. Underperformed on the ice.
Mark JankowskiFShould have been in the Calder race
Curtis LazarDKind of fast but mostly sucks
Ryan LombergFmostly sucks
Andrew MangiapaneFshould have scored a goal and never looked back
Sean MonahanCfaded near the end.
Nick ShoreCLiked what I saw
Matt StajanCPoor start but finished strong
Chris StewartDNot awful.
Matthew TkachukBVery good season.
Kris VersteegFAwful season
Defensemen
Rasmus AnderssonFNot impressive
Matt BartkowskiF-Get off my team
T.J. BrodieDShould have scored 50+ and not been prone to so many lapses. Still better than most here give him credit for though. Nowhere to go but up.
Mark GiordanoB+Should have scored 50+. Possibly his best defensive season ever. Gonna miss him when he's not here anymore.
Dougie HamiltonD+Not impressed. The goals didn't feel like they came in a natural state and the overall game was weak. I'm ready to test the market.
Travis HamonicDShould have scored 25+. Improved as the season went along.
Brett KulakCGood, but didn't score enough
Michael StoneFI'm ready to move on.
Goaltenders
Jon GilliesFA tire fire most nights
David RittichCPlayed well most nights. Faded down the stretch
Mike SmithCPlayed well on the road, awful at home
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
SkatersGradesExplanation
ForwardsC-Bad year for Calgary's forward group. Some had good statistical years. Most were passengers.
Mikael BacklundBPretty much what's expected from Backs, but less.
Sam BennettC-No steps forward or back, we needed a big year out of Sam and didn't get it.
Troy BrouwerFWorst forward on the team.
Micheal FerlandBGot a lot of early production out of him, then it just stopped.
Michael FrolikC+Had a bad season last year.
Johnny GaudreauA-One of two forwards that were difference makers on the team.
Tanner GlassDYou know what Tanner is. We all do.
Freddie HamiltonDSee Tanner Glass' comments.
Garnet HathawayC+Had a good start and faltered. Gulutzan failed to use Garnet properly.
Jaromir JagrDWhen healthy he was fine. That being said, he was never healthy. Still worth the shot in the dark.
Mark JankowskiC+Ups and down, as you'd expect from Rookies. I don't think his processor speed is fast enough to be a top 6 option in the NHL.
Curtis LazarB-Played some of his best hockey mid way through the year. Not surprisingly was sat for a lot of it.
Ryan LombergCDid what was expected.
Andrew MangiapaneC-See Darren Haynes tweet Re. Zykov to Mangi comparison.
Sean MonahanBFar too up or down to be our top line centre. Suffered through more injury problems. Still don't like his game outside of shooting the puck on net.
Nick ShoreCFine.
Matt StajanB-Feel good story.
Chris StewartFUseless in Calgary, placed in a bad spot to begin with (from Waivers to top line, tada)
Matthew TkachukA+Best overall forward we had this season.
Kris VersteegC-Missed most of the season. Still would have given us 30+ points in a healthy season, but it just didn't happen.
DefensemenB+Thought overall our D had a fine year. I think it was mostly how they were deployed; that played the biggest factor.
Rasmus AnderssonB-Was put in a bad spot to succeed, did fine. Expect a lot of Ras next year.
Matt BartkowskiFNot an NHL'er.
T.J. BrodieDBad year from TJ. Question his entire deployment this season.
Mark GiordanoB+Mark's steady. But we need more.
Dougie HamiltonABest overall D for Calgary. His once-in-a-while lapses in D, are more than made up in that he plays the entire night in the opposition zone.
Travis HamonicBWhat we expected.
Brett KulakB+Good little full year campaign. Damn shame he sat 10+ games so Bartkowski could get reps.
Michael StoneB-Fine. As expected. Should be traded in the offseason to make room for Rasmus.
GoaltendersB-Tale of two seasons.
Jon GilliesCNot sure if this is the NHL starter we've been waiting for.
David RittichC+See above.
Mike SmithA-Would be A+, but he came back too soon and sucked. The whole team sucked, but he sucked.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Nov 24, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
SkatersGradesExplanation
Forwards
Mikael Backlund B Had a good year just didn’t hit the same level as last.
Sam Bennett C-Failed to meet expectations yet again.
Troy Brouwer D Played a fine 4th line role, especially to the end of the year.
Micheal Ferland B Great first half, but cooled off and looked invisible the second half.
Michael Frolik C Injuries curbed his year offensively, but was still great on D.
Johnny Gaudreau A+ All we could have asked for and looks poised to bed better next year.
Tanner Glass D- He had some fights but took up minutes young guys could use.
Freddie Hamilton DWas serviceable, never bad never good.
Garnet Hathaway C- Good energy player who will be a good 4th liner/13th forward
Jaromir Jagr C Cool story, bad finish.
Mark Jankowski B- Good start to his career, see him getting better and maybe approaching 20 goals.
Curtis Lazar D- His development has been ruined, but at least he’s a right shot.
Ryan Lomberg DGood 14th forward tha could provide energy and sit in the press box.
Andrew Mangiapane D Not much impact this year, but see him full time next year.
Sean Monahan A+ Really became a full fledged number 1 Center and played like a beast through injury.
Nick Shore C+ Played really well in small sample size, good 4th line C.
Matt Stajan B- Did exactly what his role was, wouldn’t hurt to have him back as extra forward.
Chris Stewart D Useless pickup, but was worth the try.
Matthew Tkachuk A Built upon his game yet again, he will probably be Calgary’s most important player moving forward.
Kris Versteeg C Great guy, good skill, burn injuries have sideline a his career.
Defensemen
Rasmus Andersson B- Showed he can play at this level, should be in over Stone.
Matt Bartkowski F Shouldn’t be here anymore, absolute pylon.
T.J. Brodie B- Got a lot of flack but was still good, but should be moved for a top 6 forward.
Mark Giordano A+ Absolute tank in he backend, heart and soul of the team.
Dougie Hamilton A+ Stepped it up yet again and will probably be a Norris candidate in the next few years.
Travis Hamonic C+ Had a tough start but started to stabilize by the end of the year.
Brett Kulak C Played good on bottom pairing never really noticed him but that’s a good thing.
Michael StoneD Good shot and that’s about it, should be moved in offseason.
Goaltenders
Jon Gillies D+ I have more confidence in him than Rittich and hope he gets more starts next year.
David Rittich D Looked shaky in person, and really had a bad end to the year,
Mike Smith A-
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad