Calgary Flames 2014 Draft Thread Part Deux

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Not me. Kid has character and consistency problems. Not someone I would want in this organization.
Agreed. I want no part of him. He is the player I project to be one that falls on draft day. I thinkn most project him to go 15th to 20th, I think he gets taken by the Canucks @ #36

Aug 3, 2010
Agreed on all points. If Ho-Sang slipped to us id be thrilled.

He's like a young Rene Bourque or a more guaranteed-to-the-big-show Aliu, and I am personally done with those kind of players on this team.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Not me. Kid has character and consistency problems. Not someone I would want in this organization.

He has had consistency issues to be sure but his 'character' issues are way overblown. With Ho-Sang people have seemed to take the popular narrative without finding out about what his 'character issues' are actually attributed to.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

Kid had some character questions (very different from problems) last season and he's done nothing but answer them this season. The whole suspension was sort of bull.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
He has had consistency issues to be sure but his 'character' issues are way overblown. With Ho-Sang people have seemed to take the popular narrative without finding out about what his 'character issues' are actually attributed to.

That's the way it usually goes. Either people read way too far into something that really isn't that big of an issue, or they don't read up at all on it and just assume it's bad.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Treliving and Burke already stated that they are going for the BPA (Best Prospect Available) in the draft, but I have a feeling that that isn't always the case after the first (maybe second) round.

I hope this year they address the RW, D and size factors in the later rounds.

With the BPA, the 1st rounder is either a center or a LWer.

For the 2nd and 3rd rounds, I hope we pick 3 RW/D (maybe 4) but if there is a good goalie in the 3rd round, adding to our goalie depth wouldn't hurt.

The 6th and 7th are just darts you throw at, they can be any position.

The 2nd and 3rd round this year is crucial for the Flames considering we have 4 picks in those 2 rounds. Lots of RW and defenseman that can be picked, go get 'em Tree.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Quickly. Have to Google to find his character problems! Because this is just garbage spewed out by other posters... like when we got Colborne or Russell; how mant flaws each of them had. Lol.

You pull the trigger 100 out of 100 times if you can get high risk, high reward players like Ho-Sang in the second round. This is how teams like Detroit stay relevant with their late picks.

If we got Sam Bennett or Leon Draisaitl in the first and Ho-Sang in the second; Calgary would make out like bandits.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Quickly. Have to Google to find his character problems! Because this is just garbage spewed out by other posters... like when we got Colborne or Russell; how mant flaws each of them had. Lol.

You pull the trigger 100 out of 100 times if you can get high risk, high reward players like Ho-Sang in the second round. This is how teams like Detroit stay relevant with their late picks.

If we got Sam Bennett or Leon Draisaitl in the first and Ho-Sang in the second; Calgary would make out like bandits.

Yep. Pulkinnen is a good example, was a projected top 5 pick and was injured and fell to the 4th round. Ultimately Detroit picked him up. He is doing well in the AHL.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
I don't think he had character issues at all. Moreso (like other ppl have said consistency issues). I think what worried scouts is that he gained the reputation as an offense only player - possibly a Shremp-like bust. Everything I've heard about him this year has been pretty positive, especially the later half of this year he was more consistent and played much better defensively. If he's available at 34 I think you have to take him, but I could see him drop as well, a little like Shinkaruk.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I doubt Ho Sang will make it past Dale Tallon if he "slips" to the 2nd round anyways. His history suggests this with the likes of Grimaldi, McFarland, Blunden, and Billy Sweatt being "first rounders" who dropped and were selected by teams with Tallon in charge in the early second.

Although maybe he has learned from those mistakes as that list of players is rather embarrassing.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I doubt Ho Sang will make it past Dale Tallon if he "slips" to the 2nd round anyways. His history suggests this with the likes of Grimaldi, McFarland, Blunden, and Billy Sweatt being "first rounders" who dropped and were selected by teams with Tallon in charge in the early second.

Although maybe he has learned from those mistakes as that list of players is rather embarrassing.

To be fair, none of those guys were quite as dominant as Ho-Sang has been in Junior. I'll be honest, if he falls past 30, and makes it to 34; Flames would make a massive mistake not taking him.
That's just so much raw potential there. I find it insane that people are willing to give certain prospects the benefit of the doubt as a time-effort, but others they just flat out reject based on silliness (mostly made-up). I'm pretty sure the knock on him is more that he's Ovi like in the offensive zone (looking to make something happen, instead of the safe play) rather than he's a head-case; in fact, if anyone has followed his progression, he's gotten a lot more team friendly in a single year, shows me he's willing to learn.

I will say, he's probably gone before 25.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
What about the 2015 draft? Besides McJesus who should we pick? Where will we pick?

Besides the fact that i doubt we'll be in the bottom 10 next year I would almost rather have Eichel. Every team is scrambling over a guy called "the next Crosby" that if he busts it would equivalent to having your team relocate. Why not go for the kid that seems consistent, good size, great talent, born leader and doesn't have the same stress on his head as McDavid. Eichel does exactly what he's supposed to. He's PPG when it matters and is good in every other way during the regular season. He doesn't get many penalties and he's a right-handed shooter.

However, if we got McDavid I would be partying in the streets next to you guys, but all I'm saying is I'm more focused on Eichel as he seems to be more of a Flames-type guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->