Speculation: Calgary Flames 2014 Draft Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Mile

Dec 18, 2013
Northern B.C.
I'd trade him at next year deadline if he hasn't re-signed.

What you don't realize is he will never be worth more then he is this year to us as trade bait. The longer we wait the less we get for him. Look at Iginla we held onto him until we received the bare minimum for him. I just think we need to get this rebuild going by trading our biggest trade chip. What if he does not want to resign in 2 years?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What you don't realize is he will never be worth more then he is this year to us as trade bait. The longer we wait the less we get for him. Look at Iginla we held onto him until we received the bare minimum for him. I just think we need to get this rebuild going by trading our biggest trade chip. What if he does not want to resign in 2 years?
What you don't seem to realize is that his value to our rebuild is greater to us than the difference between the returns.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I'd trade Gio straigt up for 1st overall. I'd also trade him to a pick where fluery is available, as long as we got something else in the package.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
We suck anyways.

Do we wanna suck for 2-3 years, or 5-7? Monahan is not ready to be Gio yet.

AF, I agree in the case that if he hasn't or won't sign an extension, then absolutely deal him. Right now is not the time unless we are getting Trouba for him.

Last edited:

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
Quest for Righties

Compiled a list of the top right handed shot RW/C and Defenseman available in the top 3 rounds or so. Realize its not the be all and end all of drafting (we could pick a goalie or a great lefty / LW), but seems to be a major need for our system. Hopefully we get a few of these players with the 2nd and 3rd round picks.

View attachment Rightys.pdf

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
If Joshua Ho-Sang is available at 34 should we take him? I heard he has ego problems, but if he falls that far he might get a nice serving of humble pie. If he plays anything like the Kane comparisons he's been given I say we jump at it despite his personality. Gio and Hartley can knock that out of him. I'd rather have Bleackley for the character aspect and size, but Ho-sang has the higher upside and we desperately need scoring RWs.

...or we could just snag Dougherty with that pick and not worry about RWs.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
If Joshua Ho-Sang is available at 34 should we take him? I heard he has ego problems, but if he falls that far he might get a nice serving of humble pie. If he plays anything like the Kane comparisons he's been given I say we jump at it despite his personality. Gio and Hartley can knock that out of him. I'd rather have Bleackley for the character aspect and size, but Ho-sang has the higher upside and we desperately need scoring RWs.

I would absolutely take him. I get that he is high risk, but we have lots of guys that project to be good 2/3rd liners. We need top end, 1st line talent. Id take the gamble personally.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
I would take Ho-Sang at 34, but I have a feeling the Flames would pass.

On another note, I'm starting to like Mayo from the Oil Kings. He coughed up the puck a few times at the Memorial cup, but he had a pretty good year overall. Has a tonne of upside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y3ZT80dUb8

Last edited:

Just A Retool

Mgmt Sunnyvale Style
Oct 24, 2013
Isla Verde
I personally have a hard on for Seibenaler sp? I keep hearing the Brodie comparison and apparently he has made leaps and bounds since switching to defense a few years ago. If we could get him at 64 I would be pumped but I'm worried that he won't fall that far.

BacklundtoBartschi*

I think the best case scenario for us is Florida keeps the pick, because they probably go Ekblad, where as Vancouver or Winnipeg are definitely going Reinhart or Bennett. That's bad because Buffalo takes the left over of the Sam's leaving Ekblad to Edmonton...

Hopefully the draft order (of the top 4) remain the same and Buffalo takes Bennett.

Aug 3, 2010

I've heard of his supposed attitude issues but I wonder if it's more like an Akim Aliu/Ryan Howse kind of issue or a Rene Bourque kind of issue. Makes all the difference in the world.

Either way, I doubt you'll see him in Flames silks; empirical analysis of his potential aside, "character issues" does not sound like a Burke/Treliving pick.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
I think the best case scenario for us is Florida keeps the pick, because they probably go Ekblad, where as Vancouver or Winnipeg are definitely going Reinhart or Bennett. That's bad because Buffalo takes the left over of the Sam's leaving Ekblad to Edmonton...

Hopefully the draft order (of the top 4) remain the same and Buffalo takes Bennett.

Yeah I think Van and Wpg want Reinhart, so either way I prefer that Fla keeps the pick. I want Reinhart the most out of the 4.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Tallon said on TSN earlier this evening that they've had one serious offer on the table, and a few serious "tire kickers," but is 70% sure he is keeping the pick. Take that for what you will.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Tallon said on TSN earlier this evening that they've had one serious offer on the table, and a few serious "tire kickers," but is 70% sure he is keeping the pick. Take that for what you will.

As much as Benning or some other Gm would like to make a big splash and acquire the first overall pick, I doubt any would increase their offers to the point where Tallon would be stupid not to accept.

I agree, I hope Tallon keeps the pick and takes Ekblad. Such a scenario provides the Flames their most likely chance of drafting Reinhart short of trading for first overall themselves. Most likely though, the Sabres will take Reinhart while the Oilers take Draisaitl leaving the Flames Bennett, which wouldn't be bad at all.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I want to draft Warren Foegele for no other reason other than his nickname would be McLovin

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
So I took Friday as a vacation day :laugh: don't wanna miss any of the draft. Looking forward to getting sauced and crying when we draft the guy I don't want. It is a tradition after all. :laugh:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
So I took Friday as a vacation day :laugh: don't wanna miss any of the draft. Looking forward to getting sauced and crying when we draft the guy I don't want. It is a tradition after all. :laugh:

The Flames are proud to select.....Hayden Fleury...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad