Pre-Game Talk: Calgary @ Anaheim - Nov 7, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I have an issue with Hathaway in when Czarnik is far more skilled than him.
By rights, Hathaway shouldn't be taking Czarnik's spot. Hathaway is a quality option for the 4th line. Czarnik should be playing on the 3rd line or higher

Reactions: Nanuuk

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I have an issue with Hathaway in when Czarnik is far more skilled than him.

More skilled with the puck, but also more able to pressure the puck away from the puck. When Hathaway is on the ice we just get hemmed in.

The numbers support what I'm talking about, too.

Scoring Chances Against/60:

PlayerSCA/60
Garnet Hathaway32.97
Sean Monahan32.95
Michael Stone32.26
Johnny Gaudreau32.11
Rasmus Andersson31.47
Noah Hanifin31.38
Mark Jankowski30.03
Sam Bennett28.69
Elias Lindholm28.6
Matthew Tkachuk26.91
Mark Giordano26.64
Dillon Dube26.33
James Neal26.08
TJ Brodie25.9
Mikael Backlund25.74
Juuso Valimaki25.55
Derek Ryan25.53
Michael Frolik23.98
Travis Hamonic23.81
Austin Czarnik23.25
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Taking Hathaway out makes a soft-ish team even softer. The game is moving towards skill and speed all the time but that doesn't mean you can completely ignore the grit element. I mean, Bennett's physical plays have been instrumental in two wins already.

Hathaway on the fourth line with his minutes getting cut in the third period is pretty much a perfect situation. And it sucks for Czarnik but they're not competing for the same spot for the most part. Czarnik needs to beat out the likes of Dube, Jankowski and Ryan to play regularly.

Although one can easily make the argument he has been better than all three and that Peters is playing favourites with Ryan especially or he just doesn't want to make changes after wins.

The difference between Hathaway and Bennett is that Hathaway brings nothing but grit. Bennett brings everything, and also grit. One impacts the game much, much more than the other. I honestly think Lazar would be bringing more than Hathaway right now.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Would love us to go into the Pond, pump the ducks and keep the road trip going.

Have to prove it eventually that this team is different, the dynamics have changed and that these Ducks aren't the big bad team from the late 2000's to mid 2010's.

Honestly, if Calgary goes 2-0-1 on this trip, they're going to put a huge damper on the early season of LA and Anaheim. IF you're almost 20% into the season and already opening up a 8-10 point gap; it's how you separate yourself from the rest of the division.
Totally. This is what the California teams have done for years. Would be nice to finally be the ones setting the pace in the division.

That being said, the Honda Center still scares the crap out of me.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
How about 5.30AM start? just enough to wake up, watch the game, and then start working from home office around 8.30AM :D

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
8:30pm start is a big oof. Pass on that.

Will cheer the Flames on in my sleep.

Toronto fan: Well Calgary's got so many flaws. Too many to count. Bennett is worthless. Hanifin is struggling.
Calgary fan: Maybe you should watch the Flames before you spout off nonsense.
Toronto fan:
upload_2018-11-7_9-14-14.png

tenor.gif

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
The curse is already broken right? They can go in there and stomp the ducks, no worries.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
- Anaheim played yesterday
- Miller, not Gibson, will be in net
- The Ducks are playing some awful stuff
- The Flames are their playing their best hockey in years

4-1 Ducks because Ponda Center

Reactions: InfinityIggy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events