Pre-Game Talk: Calgary @ Anaheim - Nov 7, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I agree. I was a bit surprised to see Smith slotted in as tomorrow night's goalie (at least in practice today) but I guess management isn't quite ready to give up on Smith... yet.

Plus he's got a history of some big games in Anaheim.

Still would rather see Rittich personally.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Smith was 99% the reason why the Flames broke the Honda Center curse last year so hopefully he can have a similar game tomorrow.

Peters has wanted to get Neal on the 2nd line for a week now, but kept the 3M line together mostly for defensive reasons. Hoping they have a big game tomorrow.

Anaheim is in a downward spiral right now, if it weren't for Gibson they'd be a bottom 5 team. Need to get goals early and keep the pressure on the entire game, no more 3rd period comebacks, let's go into the 3rd with a lead.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Peters is sweating and breathing hard. This guy goes out there in practice and works just as hard as the players. Very up tempo practices. No slacking allowed.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Would love us to go into the Pond, pump the ducks and keep the road trip going.

Have to prove it eventually that this team is different, the dynamics have changed and that these Ducks aren't the big bad team from the late 2000's to mid 2010's.

Honestly, if Calgary goes 2-0-1 on this trip, they're going to put a huge damper on the early season of LA and Anaheim. IF you're almost 20% into the season and already opening up a 8-10 point gap; it's how you separate yourself from the rest of the division.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
^^^^ Having Smith in net still makes me nervous. And it probably won't go away until the game is over or we have a 4 or 5 goal lead.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
^^^^ Having Smith in net still makes me nervous. And it probably won't go away until the game is over or we have a 4 or 5 goal lead.
His career has always been average goaltending. Right now it’s far below from that, so I am expecting some good games out of him.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
My thought with Smith is you might as well play him after a good amount of rest. Anaheim is beaten up and if Gibson looks even slightly human, we should be able to put up 3+ goals so it's a good opportunity to see what Smith's deal was last week (mental vs. injury?). If he struggles against one of the lowest scoring teams, then he's as good as done.

That said, starting him against LA would carry the same logic :dunno: Peters will have to know who the hot hand is to head into San Jose which will be the real test on the trip.

If Smith is lousy against Anaheim, he'll probably get the start against LA as its a weaker team and gives Rittich the start against a tougher Sharks team.
If Smith plays well, Rittich will probably get the start in LA because as long as Smith plays well he IS the #1 goalie.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

At least 5 goal lead for me, maybe 4. Either way, if we have even a 2 goal lead with 5 minutes left I assume we will lose the game with Smith in net.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Just f***ing win. A big win would be nice. Tough 3 games coming up. I have a feeling will suck either against ducks or kings and play well against sharks

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Peters is sweating and breathing hard. This guy goes out there in practice and works just as hard as the players. Very up tempo practices. No slacking allowed.

Good video.

Makes me wonder who the 7 leaders are. Gio, Backlund, Monahan and Tkachuk are the easy ones wearing letters. Hamonic is probably one if I had to guess.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Good video.

Makes me wonder who the 7 leaders are. Gio, Backlund, Monahan and Tkachuk are the easy ones wearing letters. Hamonic is probably one if I had to guess.

Frolik, and Johnny. Neal being new won't be an official leader but as we get closer to play-off time he will become invaluable.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I have no issue at all with Hathaway playing on the 4th line. He's a big body that has reasonable skills and hands and he provides a bit more grit into the lineup. He also is more than willing to jump into a fight to protect his team mate. I'd much rather have Hathaway fighting than anyone else in the lineup... well maybe Neal the way he's playing right now but thats never going to happen.
Nope... Hathaway is the best option we have as a 4th line RW.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Taking Hathaway out makes a soft-ish team even softer. The game is moving towards skill and speed all the time but that doesn't mean you can completely ignore the grit element. I mean, Bennett's physical plays have been instrumental in two wins already.

Hathaway on the fourth line with his minutes getting cut in the third period is pretty much a perfect situation. And it sucks for Czarnik but they're not competing for the same spot for the most part. Czarnik needs to beat out the likes of Dube, Jankowski and Ryan to play regularly.

Although one can easily make the argument he has been better than all three and that Peters is playing favourites with Ryan especially or he just doesn't want to make changes after wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->