Prospect Info: Caleb Jones

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
He has played a steady game and also shown that he's willing to pick his spots and jump in the play without being an idiot about it. He plays a more physical game than I realized, as well. Things looks encouraging so far.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
With Jones making an immediate impact, Bear on the verge, Klefbom evolving into a #1 defenseman, cornerstone Evan Bouchard in the pipeline, and a maturing Nurse, I'm really excited about the blue-line defenders for the years to come.

In 2 years (2020-21 season)
Klefbom-Jones
Nurse-Bouchard
*Larsson-Bear/Samorukov/Persson
*(Adam's last year of his contract, assuming he's not extended, those 3 rotate for the 3rd pairing the following season)

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Jones really has looked very good. Skates the puck out of danger almost more than any other dman we've had since Sekera was good 2 years ago. When Russell/Klefbom come back, I'm guessing Jones still doesn't see the AHL this year.

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Russell
Jones Petrovic/Benning

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Will be interesting to see how Nurse's contract is handled. He has one more year on his bridge deal, and by the time that's up we may see Jones become a better option in our top 4 D. If this is true, packaging Nurse for an impact F may become a real option.

We really need one more legit top 6 winger. McDavid can produce with Nuge or Drai + whichever plug (no offense) they place on that line. But the 2nd line needs help because Nuge doesn't have much help there. If neither JP or Yamo emerge as top 6 threats by the end of next season, packaging Nurse with one of them for a top 6 winger is something I strongly consider.

That being said, if I haven't made it obvious, I feel more comfortable with Jones out there than I do with Nurse, and think he can pass Nurse on the depth chart by the end of next season.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Jones really has looked very good. Skates the puck out of danger almost more than any other dman we've had since Sekera was good 2 years ago. When Russell/Klefbom come back, I'm guessing Jones still doesn't see the AHL this year.

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Russell
Jones Petrovic/Benning
Benning over manning?

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Will be interesting to see how Nurse's contract is handled. He has one more year on his bridge deal, and by the time that's up we may see Jones become a better option in our top 4 D. If this is true, packaging Nurse for an impact F may become a real option.

We really need one more legit top 6 winger. McDavid can produce with Nuge or Drai + whichever plug (no offense) they place on that line. But the 2nd line needs help because Nuge doesn't have much help there. If neither JP or Yamo emerge as top 6 threats by the end of next season, packaging Nurse with one of them for a top 6 winger is something I strongly consider.

That being said, if I haven't made it obvious, I feel more comfortable with Jones out there than I do with Nurse, and think he can pass Nurse on the depth chart by the end of next season.
It's important to remember that Nurse was our highest scoring D last year, and is currently leading the team right now (I know Klef is injured and was injured last season as well). He's our second point producer on the back end. I don't like the option of shipping him out until someone else shows they can take that #2 mantel at the very least.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Jones
Russell-Petrovic
Gravel/Manning

That's actually not bad once Klef and Russell are healthy. Curious how good Sekera will be when he returns.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
With Jones making an immediate impact, Bear on the verge, Klefbom evolving into a #1 defenseman, cornerstone Evan Bouchard in the pipeline, and a maturing Nurse, I'm really excited about the blue-line defenders for the years to come.

In 2 years (2020-21 season)
Klefbom-Jones
Nurse-Bouchard
*Larsson-Bear/Samorukov/Persson
*(Adam's last year of his contract, assuming he's not extended, those 3 rotate for the 3rd pairing the following season)
Bear on the verge of what? Scoring his first AHL goal of the season?
I also wouldnt lock Bouchard to be a top 4 Dman in the NHL or be any better than prime Sekera.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Bear on the verge of what? Scoring his first AHL goal of the season?
I also wouldnt lock Bouchard to be a top 4 Dman in the NHL or be any better than prime Sekera.
Prime Sekera was a hell of a defenseman... he was arguably our best D in 2016-2017.

Reactions: TB12

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Prime Sekera was a hell of a defenseman... he was arguably our best D in 2016-2017.
Yup.. and hopefully fans here should be more than fine with it.
Some of the projections for the shiny new toys become way too extreme. With Caleb, a solid 4/5 player in his prime should be more than satisfactory. A good game here or there does not make him a top pairing potential Dman.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Has Jones played enough games where he will need to be protected for the expansion draft?

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Has Jones played enough games where he will need to be protected for the expansion draft?

AHL seasons count so this would be completely unavoidable even if the Oilers were somehow insane enough to bury an effective player in the minors for another 2 seasons just because.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah, I could buy the argument that Manning has been slightly better in a short sample size, sure. Only slightly though, and I don`t know that the sleight improvement he provides is really impactful.
He was also far worse in Chicago then Benning ever was here.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Hopefully Russel is good for Saturday's game. Would be nice to pair him with Jones; 8 games in and he's asked to lug around Petro in a top 4 role.

Jones has the pedigree to be top pairing dman IMO. Only question was, how well could he process the game as he relied a lot on his athleticism in the lower levels. It's clear now that isn't a deficiency, but a strength in his game. It's too bad due to this organizations ineptitude we are unable to shelter and pair him with a solid veteran dman so his development could be maximized.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad