Caleb Jones recalled from Bakersfield UPDATE#2 Recalled from Bako 12/9/19

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
That dump into the opposite corner when he was at the blueline lead directly to the break out for Seguin to score.

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
That dump into the opposite corner when he was at the blueline lead directly to the break out for Seguin to score.

McDavid's piss poor back check and Koskinen letting in a low danger scoring chance led even more directly to Seguin scoring.

That dump into the corner was a bad play.

McDavid was the absolute goat. Him and Draisaitl both were giving up on defensive play and we're the main reason we lost.

That was absolutely a high danger scoring chance against. From a guy who is traditionally known as one of the best shooters in the nhl. Koskinen could have been a star in that game for how many high danger scoring chances were sent his way and how poorly the team played in front of him.

Jones was bad and the defensive pairing juggling to shoe horn him into the lineup had a lot to do with the loss as well.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That dump into the corner was a bad play.

McDavid was the absolute goat. Him and Draisaitl both were giving up on defensive play and we're the main reason we lost.

That was absolutely a high danger scoring chance against. From a guy who is traditionally known as one of the best shooters in the nhl. Koskinen could have been a star in that game for how many high danger scoring chances were sent his way and how poorly the team played in front of him.

Jones was bad and the defensive pairing juggling to shoe horn him into the lineup had a lot to do with the loss as well.
Definitely wasn't the best play he could have made in that situation, but it had very little bearing on the Oilers complete inability to clog up the neutral zone or defend a zone entry that was essentially uncontested. Jones had his good and bad moments, but to put any of this loss on him is ridiculous. As for Koskinen, absolutely he made some huge saves for us throughout the game, but no that was not a high danger chance. Even factoring in who was shooting it, the angle was not great and it was from outside of the danger area in the slot, at most it was a medium quality shot that Koskinen should save more often than not. I definitely didn't love the Comeau goal as Koskinen was out of position and not square to the shooter, just like I didn't like the OT goal where Koskinen again lost his net and way over committed to his right on what would have been a low quality chance if Benn had shot it there.

I'd give Koskinen a B for that game, maybe a B+, but he certainly wasn't on his A game after the first 2 periods and it showed. Then again the team in front of him went from being on their A game to their C game in the 3rd, and for some reason decided to sit back and not even try to push the pace. It was a team collapse, so don't take this as me soloing out Koskinen, but he was part of that collapse. McDavid's line takes a lot of blame as well, but they were also the reason we had a 4-2 lead in the first place so imo they shouldn't be singled out either.

Like I said earlier, it happens. This team has shown they can bounce back this season from losses that they piss away or don't show up for. I'm not really upset at all considering that we still got a point out of a game where the team decided to collapse. This team needs 71 points in their last 60 games to be a 100 point team, so games like this are just fine if they can play a few games over .500 in the others.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Definitely wasn't the best play he could have made in that situation, but it had very little bearing on the Oilers complete inability to clog up the neutral zone or defend a zone entry that was essentially uncontested. Jones had his good and bad moments, but to put any of this loss on him is ridiculous. As for Koskinen, absolutely he made some huge saves for us throughout the game, but no that was not a high danger chance. Even factoring in who was shooting it, the angle was not great and it was from outside of the danger area in the slot, at most it was a medium quality shot that Koskinen should save more often than not. I definitely didn't love the Comeau goal as Koskinen was out of position and not square to the shooter, just like I didn't like the OT goal where Koskinen again lost his net and way over committed to his right on what would have been a low quality chance if Benn had shot it there.

I'd give Koskinen a B for that game, maybe a B+, but he certainly wasn't on his A game after the first 2 periods and it showed. Then again the team in front of him went from being on their A game to their C game in the 3rd, and for some reason decided to sit back and not even try to push the pace. It was a team collapse, so don't take this as me soloing out Koskinen, but he was part of that collapse. McDavid's line takes a lot of blame as well, but they were also the reason we had a 4-2 lead in the first place so imo they shouldn't be singled out either.

Like I said earlier, it happens. This team has shown they can bounce back this season from losses that they piss away or don't show up for. I'm not really upset at all considering that we still got a point out of a game where the team decided to collapse. This team needs 71 points in their last 60 games to be a 100 point team, so games like this are just fine if they can play a few games over .500 in the others.

I agree with most of what you are saying.

Last game was a big one for me. The SJS game and this game were far too similar to previous season failures.

A lack of compete with no excuses. They gave up and it was the team leaders throwing in the towel. Happened with McLellan and Hitchcock recently and many others further back.

If they won that game i would have have started to "plan the parade" so to speak. Believe a bit more.

Instead they lost in a very concerning manner.

Sure they can easily still make the playoffs. Statistically should. Have been much better this year. But after those two meltdowns I don't have much faith we are going to maintain the focus nessasary to actually make it.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I agree with most of what you are saying.

Last game was a big one for me. The SJS game and this game were far too similar to previous season failures.

A lack of compete with no excuses. They gave up and it was the team leaders throwing in the towel. Happened with McLellan and Hitchcock recently and many others further back.

If they won that game i would have have started to "plan the parade" so to speak. Believe a bit more.

Instead they lost in a very concerning manner.

Sure they can easily still make the playoffs. Statistically should. Have been much better this year. But after those two meltdowns I don't have much faith we are going to maintain the focus nessasary to actually make it.
Eh, they've bounced back after pretty much every piss poor effort this year, and until they show they can't do that I have no reason to doubt them. This season obviously isn't a contender season as the team needs to open up some cap space to get to that next level, but I can't complain with a few poor efforts and meltdowns when they're showing resilience more often than not. Even some of the top teams in the league have had a few meltdowns like this already this season.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
.... Uhh

The fart I let lose inside the washroom at the game yesterday led directly to people leaving the washroom and to different washrooms...

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Not really. There might have been better things he could have done, but it was a low danger play regardless of the outcome in this specific instance. It sure beat coughing the puck up at the blue line and giving Dallas a clean break

Reactions: McFlyingV

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
.... Uhh

The fart I let lose inside the washroom at the game yesterday led directly to people leaving the washroom and to different washrooms...

A childish poop joke. Unfunny. Embarrassing. Please stop talking already.

Not Canada Drai

♧ Lem
Jul 7, 2019
Edmonton
At this point I think he's going to be a "main" piece in a trade we make at the deadline. Expendable with our current prospect pool but solid with good upside. I hope he has a great career wherever he goes or if he stays.

Reactions: Anarchism

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Jones is looking better and better. I can see us lose him to expansion draft .
The best thing about Bear's improvement this year is it softens that potential blow immensely. Looking at the Oilers future D core they currently have Nurse, Klefbom, and Bear as roster players to build around. With Bouchard and Broberg as likely additions to that group it leaves only 1 spot left to fill going forward and they have Jones, Persson, Lagesson, and Samorukov as decent bets to become at least bottom pairing NHL D, with some other support depth in the college and Euro ranks with Berglund, Kesselring, and Kemp. This doesn't even account for Larsson or Benning either who they might choose to keep around in the meantime, or who they might decide to trade for forward help.

I think worrying about losing someone like Jones shouldn't be a major concern, and in all honesty I wonder if a decent trade for Puljujarvi doesn't happen if they just keep him around as expansion draft bait if he continues to refuse to return to Edmonton. Hell, maybe if Neal can have a couple back to back 20 goal seasons we can make a deal with Seattle to select him if we throw in a sweetener and open up some cap space.

Reactions: Draiskull

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
At this point I think he's going to be a "main" piece in a trade we make at the deadline. Expendable with our current prospect pool but solid with good upside. I hope he has a great career wherever he goes or if he stays.
I think both are options depending on how his season tracks. At the end of the day there isn't a lot of pressure on the organization for him to need to become a top 4D. We have 4 top 4D currently in Nurse, Klefbom, Bear, and Larsson, and I think it is very probable that both Bouchard and Broberg become top 4D. There's also some other great pieces after Jones in Lagesson, Persson, and Samorukov who have a decent shot at being at least bottom pairing guys.

It's pretty awesome to think about how good our D depth is set out to be over the next 4-5 years as these guys continue to develop and push out Russell/Benning and maybe even Larsson. Not only does that likely give us a very strong D core in the coming years, but it also allows us to recoup assets for those players I mentioned and turn them into help up front.

Reactions: Anarchism

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I just posted this in the injury thread:

So Caleb is staying as 7th D until Manning is healed? I doubt they'll be scratching either Russell or Benning for him.
I see no issue with that. Bakersfield barely plays and he can cycle in and out with Benning and practice against NHLers.

Reactions: LaGu

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Assuming Bear continues to develop he takes 1 of the three right side places. This year that leaves Jones, Persson, Larsson, and Benning and perhaps Bouchard by deadline competing for two spots.
One of Larrson or Russel likely gone by July 2020--we have to pay Nurse.
Perhaps Benning ends up in the seventh position by year end. Larsson's 20th game this year --late January?--will have a major impact on Holland's risk assessment. Maybe it will be Larsson and Puljujarvi going....
As the season progresses and the games get tighter certain teams will have their 'defense' exposed....

Last edited:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Assuming Bear continues to develop he takes 1 of the three right side places. This year that leaves Jones, Persson, Larsson, and Benning and perhaps Bouchard by deadline competing for two spots.
One of Larrson or Russel likely gone by July 2020--we have to pay Nurse.
Perhaps Benning ends up in the seventh position by year end. Larsson's 20th game this year --late January?--will have a major impact on Holland's risk assessment. Maybe it will be Larsson and Puljujarvi going....
As the season progresses and the games get tighter certain teams will have their 'defense' exposed....
We may also have to 'pay' Bear as well. The 2 combined could be making ~10M next year if they continue to improve.
There is 0 chance of Larsson having to compete for a spot. The guy is a lock in top 4. It would be Benning and Jones fighting for 3rd pair RD spot if the D is healthy.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
We may also have to 'pay' Bear as well. The 2 combined could be making ~10M next year if they continue to improve.
There is 0 chance of Larsson having to compete for a spot. The guy is a lock in top 4. It would be Benning and Jones fighting for 3rd pair RD spot if the D is healthy.
From Tippet's point of view you are likely correct. However Holland has to look beyond this year. We need two assets up front we dont have for next year---2LW and a quality scoring/strong defense guy for the bottom 6 ...similar to say an Eric Haula(just an example). Neither of these players appear to be coming for next year from the farm.
Dont get me wrong ....there is hope for Benson and Currie and Mcleod etc...but likely further away than next year to be impact players ...
Next year Holland will want to contend....so even though Larsson's play on the defensive side of the puck is adequate/Top 4....his position is vulnerable and dictatable by his play--he needs to improve over his play most of last year...
The kids are coming and while they may not have the experience now ....they are cheaper!

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Bear's agent likely drooling over his offensive upside as we all are . Management will slowly increase his responsibility as the year continues. Probably all three of Bear , his agent, and Management open to him signing a two year lets see contract.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Bear's agent likely drooling over his offensive upside as we all are . Management will slowly increase his responsibility as the year continues. Probably all three of Bear , his agent, and Management open to him signing a two year lets see contract.

I agree with that... I just can't see him taking us to the bank. He's been solid, but not dominant.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Which one? His only play seems to be a dump into the opposite corner. Must have seen it at least a dozen times.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I really hope they sit one of benning or russel and start larsson on the third pairing with jones paired with klef for a bit at least until larssons got his skating legs back under him. An even slower larsson is not a top 4 dman.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
As much as I'd like to see Jones play, someone has to be the 7th man, and he is the most likely candidate right now, with Larsson coming back in. Mom likely guy for him to spell off? Has to be Benning, but the coach and org really seem to like him in that bottom pairing with Russell, and other than the odd hiccup, he's been effective.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad