Caleb Jones recalled from Bakersfield UPDATE#2 Recalled from Bako 12/9/19

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Thought this paragraph from Mark Spector was interesting. Folks who know the draft a lot better than me were probably well aware of this information, but I needed the reminder. That's a pretty fine crop of picks from one draft, and finally some productive late round selections too. Love the tear shed for Stu MacGregor at the end too. :sarcasm:

It’s funny: that 2015 draft supplied Connor McDavid at No. 1 overall, a no-brainer of a pick. With the second and third picks dealt away for Griffin Reinhart and David Perron, the Oilers used a pick acquired from Montreal for Jeff Petry to get Jones in Round 4. Then they picked a kid named Ethan Bear in the fifth round, and their six-round choice, John Marino, is currently playing 21 minutes per night on Pittsburgh’s blue line.
If Jones plays, and we truly believe he will, that’s three NHL defencemen drafted in Rounds 4, 5 and 6. Stellar.

And the head amateur scout who built the list for such a savvy draft? His name was Stu MacGregor.
He was fired by Edmonton five days before that 2015 draft occurred.

Yep, and people say you can't evaluate how good of a draft a team had until 4-5 years down the road. Well...it was pretty obvious right away that the 2015 draft had a lot more promise than the drafts of years past for the Oilers. You never know how the draft is going to turn out but guys like Bear and Jones had infinitely more promise than the guys the Oilers had typically picked in those rounds in the past.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I've been spoiled by Bear ... didn't think Jones was that great. Willing to give him a few more looks though.

Same. His decision making isn't as good as Bear's. I still think Lagesson is better than Jones but who knows if his skillset will translate.

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Same. His decision making isn't as good as Bear's. I still think Lagesson is better than Jones but who knows if his skillset will translate.

This.

I'm really disappointed Legasson didn't get a look while here and yet Jones gets in right away. Seems very bizarre.

Reactions: Anarchism

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I've been spoiled by Bear ... didn't think Jones was that great. Willing to give him a few more looks though.

He was hard to find. His positioning was questionable. I don't think it was a good idea to have him in the top 4 especially against Colorado but Tippett did a great job managing him. He played with Klefbom but still as the #6 guy.

I personally would not play him against Dallas. They are currently the hottest team in the nhl and great on paper as well. But whatever, we need to find out what he is sooner than later.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd like to see him on the left side and see what he looks like there. It's almost always tougher to play your off side on defense.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Jones was largely invisible to me last game, and that’s a good thing in my opinion.

You definitely could see his skating ability is NHL level, he’s very fluid and smooth in all four directions.

Last edited:

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I thought he played well yesterday. Little bit of big game jitters I thought where he hesitated to make a play, but overall I thought he had a solid outing.

Moved the puck well, had good reads, skated well out there. No real large errors with the puck or positioning.

Hard to complain about that kind of game. He didn't see a ton of ice, but that's the kind of game you need to get more ice from a guy kind Tippet; he puts you in position to exceed and makes you force him to feed you more.

I think Tippet will like him more than Persson, he's got better tools under pressure at this level.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
I thought he played well yesterday. Little bit of big game jitters I thought where he hesitated to make a play, but overall I thought he had a solid outing.

Moved the puck well, had good reads, skated well out there. No real large errors with the puck or positioning.

Hard to complain about that kind of game. He didn't see a ton of ice, but that's the kind of game you need to get more ice from a guy kind Tippet; he puts you in position to exceed and makes you force him to feed you more.

I think Tippet will like him more than Persson, he's got better tools under pressure at this level.
Hope they keep him at third pairing minutes against Dallas ....they have two good offensive lines and they like to mix them up...harder to defend against...Tippet will likely let him get his feet under him at NHL speed rather than throwing him to the wolves...???

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Small sample size but I like Jones in the line up better than Manning.

Hope they keep him at third pairing minutes against Dallas ....they have two good offensive lines and they like to mix them up...harder to defend against...Tippet will likely let him get his feet under him at NHL speed rather than throwing him to the wolves...???

Manning is bad but at least doesn't disrupt the pairings like Jones does. I'm very surprised he is getting used against the stars. Currently one of the best teams in the nhl. Makes it very hard on the group especially Klefbom using him the way they are.

But at least Tippett/Holland are not throwing him to the wolves. He will be lucky to see 10 minutes of very sheltered match ups.

After seeing his usage I understand why Tippett is playing him. Home ice match ups and rotating partners for Klefbom gives you a controlled viewing of Jones.

There is a 5 game road trip coming up after this game. This may be Jones last chance to make an impression. If he doesn't it's hard to Imagine him getting any time with Klefbom on the road.

Think they are taking the opportunity due to injuries to at least get an idea what Jones can do. When Larsson comes back i think short of stellar play Jones gets sent down.

I still think it's a mistake but this may be the only chance theyes get to see what they have in Jones at the nhl level.

Some big picture thinking... or they just really do hate Persson for some reason. I see Persson as being the best by a long shot of everyone who has played with Klefbom so far.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Manning is bad but at least doesn't disrupt the pairings like Jones does. I'm very surprised he is getting used against the stars. Currently one of the best teams in the nhl. Makes it very hard on the group especially Klefbom using him the way they are.

But at least Tippett/Holland are not throwing him to the wolves. He will be lucky to see 10 minutes of very sheltered match ups.

After seeing his usage I understand why Tippett is playing him. Home ice match ups and rotating partners for Klefbom gives you a controlled viewing of Jones.

There is a 5 game road trip coming up after this game. This may be Jones last chance to make an impression. If he doesn't it's hard to Imagine him getting any time with Klefbom on the road.

Think they are taking the opportunity due to injuries to at least get an idea what Jones can do. When Larsson comes back i think short of stellar play Jones gets sent down.

I still think it's a mistake but this may be the only chance theyes get to see what they have in Jones at the nhl level.

Some big picture thinking... or they just really do hate Persson for some reason. I see Persson as being the best by a long shot of everyone who has played with Klefbom so far.

Perrson and Russell both have games that do not compliment Klefbom IMO. Jones coming into the line up is not a bad thing, if he clicks with Klefbom then it really makes one of Larrson or Russell movable.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Perrson and Russell both have games that do not compliment Klefbom IMO. Jones coming into the line up is not a bad thing, if he clicks with Klefbom then it really makes one of Larrson or Russell movable.
Persson has been Klefboms best partner since Larsson fell apart after the 2016-2017 season.

Klefbom has looked miles better as a two way defender than the guy that was always pinching at the wrong time and using Larsson as a crutch to cover for him continually.

Klefbom is a great puck mover with nhl size speed iq... He is perfect with a partner that also can move the puck and provides some offense as well. Gone are the days that Klefbom needs to be sheltered by a stay at home type.

Ditto Nurse. They have both stepped up big and are using their tools to compliment a team.

Both Klefbom and Nurse are better being anchors for good all around play than trying to be the next Karlsson or Burns. They can be great and help the team win. That's huge.

With Bear, Persson, Bouchard, and even potentially Jones playing his offside... all offensive defenseman...

Why do you say Persson doesn't compliment Klefbom?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
not ready yet should go to the box and watch do Persson can play

He was bad and on top of that bumped Benning up the lineup who also suffered for it.

On the road he will be exposed even more hope we see Persson in until Larsson gets back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad