Caleb Jones recalled from Bakersfield UPDATE#2 Recalled from Bako 12/9/19

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Why Foolish?

It is a gamble. I don't know if I would call it a huge one or foolish.

Both the Benning-Russell and Bear-Nurse pairings have chemistry together. Why would you break them up?

Where else do you slot him in? Bottom pair so we have to endure Russell on his offside in the top 4? I'll take my chances with Jones, thanks.

First off Persson.

Second off as much as I hate Benning with Klefbom you start with that to ease Jones in to the nhl game. Last time Jones went top 4 he was eaten alive.

Any pairing combo that does not break up Nurse Bear and keeps Jones sheltered to start.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
First off Persson.

Second off as much as I hate Benning with Klefbom you start with that to ease Jones in to the nhl game. Last time Jones went top 4 he was eaten alive.

Any pairing combo that does not break up Nurse Bear and keeps Jones sheltered to start.

Couple things:
  • Klef is probably a better partner for Jones than Larsson was as Jones won't have to shoulder as much responsibility for moving the puck.
  • We know Benning can't handle Top 4 competition. The only alternative is Russell and that's also not good.
  • Finally, we need to find out what we have in Jones and there's no better way than playing him. If Jones isn't ready for the top 4 now, he might never be.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
First off Persson.

Last time Jones was in the top-4 he eventually got eaten alive, but wasn't floundering from the start. Benning's spot is clearly bottom-pair RHD, if the coaches thought he could play up, he would have already.

Jones is more sheltered because the whole defense is better and Klefbom's play this year is enough to help shelter as well. I also don't know why Persson isn't in the lineup, but that is what it is.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Couple things:
  • Klef is probably a better partner for Jones than Larsson was as Jones won't have to shoulder as much responsibility for moving the puck.
  • We know Benning can't handle Top 4 competition. The only alternative is Russell and that's also not good.
  • Finally, we need to find out what we have in Jones and there's no better way than playing him. If Jones isn't ready for the top 4 now, he might never be.

If Jones proves to be ready for top 4 duty, we are on our way as a team if we can add a forward or two that can score.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Couple things:

Last time Jones was in the top-4 he eventually got eaten alive, but wasn't floundering from the start. Benning's spot is clearly bottom-pair RHD, if the coaches thought he could play up, he would have already.

Jones is more sheltered because the whole defense is better and Klefbom's play this year is enough to help shelter as well. I also don't know why Persson isn't in the lineup, but that is what it is.

Benning is playing good hockey right now. I'm not a fan but putting Benning beside Klefbom but for at least a game or two it is much better than tossing Jones into the fire and just hoping.

Jones was obliterated in the top 4. A train wreck. Horrendous. His training camp was pretty bad too. Yes, I am exaggerating but it was bad. Bad enough to hold off bumping up a player who likely isn't ready.

At least a game or two. It is foolish not to.

I 100% agree he needs a top 4 tryout sooner rather than later this year. But it would be nice not to toss the kid in against McKinnon to start.

I would put a significant sum of money on Jones and Smith being the goats of a loss tonight. Much like it wasn't hard to see Gagner Manning and Smith all coming together to be goats for a big loss last game. Although in fairness everyone sucked last game.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Benning is playing good hockey right now. I'm not a fan but putting Benning beside Klefbom but for at least a game or two it is much better than tossing Jones into the fire and just hoping.

Jones was obliterated in the top 4. A train wreck. Horrendous. His training camp was pretty bad too. Yes, I am exaggerating but it was bad. Bad enough to hold off bumping up a player who likely isn't ready.

At least a game or two. It is foolish not to.

I 100% agree he needs a top 4 tryout sooner rather than later this year. But it would be nice not to toss the kid in against McKinnon to start.

I would put a significant sum of money on Jones and Smith being the goats of a loss tonight. Much like it wasn't hard to see Gagner Manning and Smith all coming together to be goats for a big loss last game. Although in fairness everyone sucked last game.
Concern is fair, but that's a bit of stretch, Smith has bounced back from tough starts and yeah McKinnon and the Avs is a tough spot, but if he can "keep his head above water" against one of the better team's in West, it bodes well going forward.

Jones skates well, moves the puck well and I like if he can bring that for this team.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Was never a fan of Jones and his brain farts in the AHL last season and he didn’t have a great camp this year but he’s playing great AHL hockey right now and it may translate.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Is it, though? With Jones, there's a chance he'll perform in that spot. We know for a fact Benning can't.

He wasn't that bad and don't forget that Larsson was garbage last year too so I'm not sure how much help he was.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Is it, though? With Jones, there's a chance he'll perform in that spot. We know for a fact Benning can't.

He wasn't that bad and don't forget that Larsson was garbage last year too so I'm not sure how much help he was.

Persson has been noticeably better than Russell in the top 4.

Benning has been noticeably better this year. A bit better than Russell imo.

Trying Benning in the top 4 who is already nhl savy, playing very well, and a bit better than Russell makes more sense than throwing Jones to the wolves.

And Jones was obviously even worse than Benning in a top 4 role. Perspective needs to be used.

Jones is doing great in the ahl. Maybe chemistry/style is more suited to the top 4 with Klefbom. Maybe.

Getting obliterated in the top 4 set Jones back last time. Just don't see this strategy being good asset management.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Thought this paragraph from Mark Spector was interesting. Folks who know the draft a lot better than me were probably well aware of this information, but I needed the reminder. That's a pretty fine crop of picks from one draft, and finally some productive late round selections too. Love the tear shed for Stu MacGregor at the end too. :sarcasm:

It’s funny: that 2015 draft supplied Connor McDavid at No. 1 overall, a no-brainer of a pick. With the second and third picks dealt away for Griffin Reinhart and David Perron, the Oilers used a pick acquired from Montreal for Jeff Petry to get Jones in Round 4. Then they picked a kid named Ethan Bear in the fifth round, and their six-round choice, John Marino, is currently playing 21 minutes per night on Pittsburgh’s blue line.
If Jones plays, and we truly believe he will, that’s three NHL defencemen drafted in Rounds 4, 5 and 6. Stellar.

And the head amateur scout who built the list for such a savvy draft? His name was Stu MacGregor.
He was fired by Edmonton five days before that 2015 draft occurred.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Thought this paragraph from Mark Spector was interesting. Folks who know the draft a lot better than me were probably well aware of this information, but I needed the reminder. That's a pretty fine crop of picks from one draft, and finally some productive late round selections too. Love the tear shed for Stu MacGregor at the end too. :sarcasm:

It’s funny: that 2015 draft supplied Connor McDavid at No. 1 overall, a no-brainer of a pick. With the second and third picks dealt away for Griffin Reinhart and David Perron, the Oilers used a pick acquired from Montreal for Jeff Petry to get Jones in Round 4. Then they picked a kid named Ethan Bear in the fifth round, and their six-round choice, John Marino, is currently playing 21 minutes per night on Pittsburgh’s blue line.
If Jones plays, and we truly believe he will, that’s three NHL defencemen drafted in Rounds 4, 5 and 6. Stellar.

And the head amateur scout who built the list for such a savvy draft? His name was Stu MacGregor.
He was fired by Edmonton five days before that 2015 draft occurred.

And the legend, Ziyat Paigin, in the seventh round.

He looked like he might be the best of those four for that one season.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
And the legend, Ziyat Paigin, in the seventh round.

He looked like he might be the best of those four for that one season.
The Pagan! Man did I bite hard on that hype train.
He's still only 24 and having a good season in the KHL. Is it too late?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Jones was leading Bako with 6 PP points.

Think he gets a shot on the PP?

I think that Bear should be given first consideration. He has earned that opportunity.

Also...according to Kurt Leavins that is likely to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: ujju2

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
The Pagan! Man did I bite hard on that hype train.
He's still only 24 and having a good season in the KHL. Is it too late?

Hopefully he's improved his skating and defensive awareness... wasn't even a good AHLer when he came over.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Had some bad moments. But overall not bad.

Tippett used him sparingly. 12 minutes. Everyone got a turn with Klefbom to cover for the rookie. Everyone except Nurse I believe.

Kind of scrambly playing Klefbom with 4 different partners in one game but can't argue with the results.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Tippett used him sparingly. 12 minutes. Everyone got a turn with Klefbom to cover for the rookie. Everyone except Nurse I believe.

Kind of scrambly playing Klefbom with 4 different partners in one game but can't argue with the results.

The Avs play at a very high tempo...thats a tough ask.
I thought he was just fine.

Reactions: Aerchon

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

Would be interested in seeing Klef with Persson and Jones with Benning for a game and let russell watch.
Three Dpairs with a puck mover on it would be amazing, it lets jones play his natural side, and it would help jones ease in with some third pairing easy matchup minutes.

Reactions: Aerchon

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
jeezus guys - I thought some of you were as old as me - and never tried a white Russian?

It's essentially if you take a coke float and melt the ice cream, add some coffee flavour and some bite from the vodka and yummy!

This old fart approves! (of both the callup and the drink :) )

Ok boomer.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He was solid tonight. Calm with the puck (not quite Bear level calm), excellent skater, fired a few tip-able shots that just missed the net. Was making good passes all night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->