Prospect Info: Caleb Jones

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I'm not going to base trading Nurse on a 40 game stretch for a very green Caleb Jones and an aging and coming off 2 serious injuries Andre Sekera.

Well either way you have a really large group on D when everyone is healthy

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Russell
Nurse-Bouchard
Gravel-Jones
Benning

All of these guys except maybe Benning will likely be NHL material players next year. You're probably not gonna get anything of value from Sekera or Russell, if you can even move them with their NTC/NMC's. Meanwhile the Oilers still don't have a single legit top6 winger.

Look, I'm not saying I'd definitely do it, I'm just saying I'd look into it and see what the market has to offer. Of course keeping Nurse and have him continue to grow alongside the rest of our young D would be ideal.

But you also have to wonder who is going to score the goals on the Oilers next year? They were lucky that Chiasson has been such a gem, but it's very unlikely he repeats that type of performance next year. Pulju and Yama have yet to show any semblance to being top6 players in terms of production.

Except for Chiasson and Caggiula (who is currently scoreless in the last 9 games), no wingers on the Oilers have more than 2 goals. Rieder has 0 goals, Lucic 1 goal, Spooner, Khaira, Kassian, Pulju all have 2 goals. The highest scoring forward on the Oilers behind Chiasson and Caggiula is Brodizak, another center, with 3 goals.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
It depends how well Sekera plays when he comes back, but I have hope he can re-find his game. If he does, he'll be tradeable. Lots of teams would love the steady defensive presence he brings, despite his cap hit. We may have to retain a mil or so on his remaining years, though.

There's no need to force both Jones and Bouchard into the lineup next year. Let's have a logjam on defense for a year, let these guys compete for a spot on the roster, and go from there.

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Bouchard/Russell/Jones
Gravel - Bouchard/Russell/Jones

The more I think, the more I want to the youngins down in the AHL. We have a locked down NHL capable D with no injuries.
I kinda see the team only trading if they get the forward they want.

I miss the Shin Pad Assassin.

Reactions: McOvechking

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ive always been high on Jones since draft day. Seems like he is the complete package. Of all the Oiler D prospects drafted after round 1 in the past, Jones has always been the most promising to me. Even when Bear was having success last year and Jones was in the AHL, I still saw Jones as more upside (and I like Bear)

Hopefully hell prove me right

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
As for Sekera, I have my doubts that he is with this team in a couple years, regardless of how he plays.

One of Sekera or Russell moves on soon IMO. We cannot afford both especially Sekera who is our highest paid D who has had some really crappy injury luck.

Reactions: The Batman

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Well either way you have a really large group on D when everyone is healthy

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Russell
Nurse-Bouchard
Gravel-Jones
Benning

All of these guys except maybe Benning will likely be NHL material players next year. You're probably not gonna get anything of value from Sekera or Russell, if you can even move them with their NTC/NMC's. Meanwhile the Oilers still don't have a single legit top6 winger.

Look, I'm not saying I'd definitely do it, I'm just saying I'd look into it and see what the market has to offer. Of course keeping Nurse and have him continue to grow alongside the rest of our young D would be ideal.

But you also have to wonder who is going to score the goals on the Oilers next year? They were lucky that Chiasson has been such a gem, but it's very unlikely he repeats that type of performance next year. Pulju and Yama have yet to show any semblance to being top6 players in terms of production.

Except for Chiasson and Caggiula (who is currently scoreless in the last 9 games), no wingers on the Oilers have more than 2 goals. Rieder has 0 goals, Lucic 1 goal, Spooner, Khaira, Kassian, Pulju all have 2 goals. The highest scoring forward on the Oilers behind Chiasson and Caggiula is Brodizak, another center, with 3 goals.

You forgot Ty Rattie who also has 2, despite never seeing the ice under hitch.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Injuries are always troubling but sometimes a player takes advantage of the situation and runs with the opportunity.
Caleb Jones appears to be doing just that.
If he keeps this up he will still be here after Klefbom, Sekera and Russell return to the lineup.
There will be no way Garrison and Benning end up being slotted ahead of Jones.

Very impressive.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I know it's very very early but I felt like he was our best D tonight. I could see him being in our top 4 next year if he keeps it up. Hockey IQ / poise is up there and his speed is pretty good. He's going to be a player. Easily passed Bear on the depth chart at this point.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The only thing I notice is he sometimes is out of position when his D partner is trying to pass/reverse the puck to him. He's gonna have to learn where to be, hopefully the next few practices can help him.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I know it's very very early but I felt like he was our best D tonight. I could see him being in our top 4 next year if he keeps it up. Hockey IQ / poise is up there and his speed is pretty good. He's going to be a player. Easily passed Bear on the depth chart at this point.

Completely agree and I just want to highlight your point that its very very early.

Still...he is a revelation to me. I just didnt expect to see the player I have seen the last few games.
He reminds me of a younger version of Sekera.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Completely agree and I just want to highlight your point that its very very early.

Still...he is a revelation to me. I just didnt expect to see the player I have seen the last few games.
He reminds me of a younger version of Sekera.

Absolutely, and I do agree with @Soundwave that he did seem a little out of synch with the D partner at times but it didn't seem like a big deal really.

I really like your comparison to Sekera, seems perfect. Let's hope he can replace Sekera when it's his time to retire / move on. They would make an interesting pairing in the meantime though.

Reactions: guymez

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think that we need to pump the brakes a bit on him. I like what I see and he should be here over Benning going forward but IMO Gravel has been the top guy on this pairing. Looking forward to seeing him when he gets more experience under his belt.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
I think that we need to pump the brakes a bit on him. I like what I see and he should be here over Benning going forward but IMO Gravel has been the top guy on this pairing. Looking forward to seeing him when he gets more experience under his belt.
I think a little excitement is warranted. Given the skill set he has been able to display at the NHL level for the position he was drafted in, it's easy to be a little elated.

With the exception of his first game, I don't think you can definitively say Gravel's been the top guy on the pairing. The only thing you can really make an argument for is on the defensive end, but even then you could probably say Jones has made equal amount of plays on that end as well. I think Gravel's done an admirable job but there's a reason why Jones has averaged more ice time, without even being used on any of the special teams yet.

On a side note, the one play where he received a pass behind the net, skated to the front and delivered a quick crisp tape to tape outlet pass, all while being under duress is a play I don't think I've seen from a single one of our dmen. Hitch is right, the kid's got ice in his veins. Keep in mind he's doing what he's doing all while playing on his offside.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

I think both things can be true. Gravel has been a LOT better than most people thought he would be, and Jones is also looking pretty good.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He has already surpassed Benning on the depth chart. Benning drops off the top 6 chart once Russell, Klefbom, Sekera come back.

Klefbom Larson
Nurse Russell
Sekera Jones
Gravel Benning

Garrison off to Bako along with Wideman.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
IMO something has to give before next season. If Jones and Gravel continue to play well and we are looking at adding Bouchard to the mix.

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard
Gravel-Jones

Russell-Sekera
Benning

Benning is likely down the road and at least one of Sekera or Russell will be gone as well unless Sekera returns to top form. Gravel is a guy that I have time for as a 6/7 defenseman for us.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Absolutely, and I do agree with @Soundwave that he did seem a little out of synch with the D partner at times but it didn't seem like a big deal really.

I really like your comparison to Sekera, seems perfect. Let's hope he can replace Sekera when it's his time to retire / move on. They would make an interesting pairing in the meantime though.
I would love if we had them both on our third pairing with Sekera mentoring him.

Reactions: Oilhawks

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
IMO something has to give before next season. If Jones and Gravel continue to play well and we are looking at adding Bouchard to the mix.

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard
Gravel-Jones

Russell-Sekera
Benning

Benning is likely down the road and at least one of Sekera or Russell will be gone as well unless Sekera returns to top form. Gravel is a guy that I have time for as a 6/7 defenseman for us.

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard
Russell-Jones
Gravel-Benning

I believe Sekera will be moved in the off season. possibly Russell but I lean towards Sekera. Also we have Bear, Persson, Lagesson in the minors or overseas. I also think we will see some movement among D prospects out towards proven scoring wingers using the cap space Sekera gets us.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard
Russell-Jones
Gravel-Benning

I believe Sekera will be moved in the off season. possibly Russell but I lean towards Sekera. Also we have Bear, Persson, Lagesson in the minors or overseas. I also think we will see some movement among D prospects out towards proven scoring wingers using the cap space Sekera gets us.
Sekera won’t be movable. Russell will be moved. Nobodies taking Sekera whom has missed the better part of two seasons plus has a higher ticket and a stricter NTC. Russell will be moved over Sekera 100%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->