Prospect Info: Caleb Jones

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, I'm sure an achilles tendon tear will be easy to come back from
Generally speaking returning from an Achilles repair there will be noticeable loss of explosiveness in that ankle for at least a year or 2 post injury. The little bit of good news is that it likely affects a hockey player far less than it would for sports that involve running and jumping as you're not relying on the achilles to be able to quickly load and explode as much in hockey.

I would not expect Sekera's skating to look 100% especially early on when he returns. Achilles ruptures are a pain in the ass.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Generally speaking returning from an Achilles repair there will be noticeable loss of explosiveness in that ankle for at least a year or 2 post injury. The little bit of good news is that it likely affects a hockey player far less than it would for sports that involve running and jumping as you're not relying on the achilles to be able to quickly load and explode as much in hockey.

I would not expect Sekera's skating to look 100% especially early on when he returns. Achilles ruptures are a pain in the ass.
You work in physio or something?

Reactions: McFlyingV

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Big chance for Jones, and honestly the rest of our d core as well. If he can perform well with the opportunities he is given I could see him sticking around with the big club. There is definitely an opening now for someone with his skill set. Excited to see if he can take the opportunity and run with it.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yeah, I'm sure an achilles tendon tear will be easy to come back from

No need to be ignorant Doctor.

Fact is that an Achilles injury has to be fully healed before you can play. You can play with a knee brace on a knee that isn’t fully healed. You can’t play with a brace on your Achilles the same way.

But you’re the know it all doctor with a crystal ball.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
No need to be ignorant Doctor.

Fact is that an Achilles injury has to be fully healed before you can play. You can play with a knee brace on a knee that isn’t fully healed. You can’t play with a brace on your Achilles the same way.

But you’re the know it all doctor with a crystal ball.
It still takes a long time for your alchilles to be back to normal, this is pretty common and well known.

Reactions: McFlyingV

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I can already see Jones after his first shift and Bobbythebrain run some of his analytics.
giphy.gif

"He's passed Nurse on the depth chart!"

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
His bro scored his first point in game three and his first goal in game five. A little less likely to be matched is his first thirty minute game. That was in game thirteen. But I wouldn't put it past 'ol Hitch.

Reactions: Oilhawks

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Can anyone who follows Bakersfield provide the Coles notes on why everyone is so excited about Jones for those that don't follow the AHL?

I'm hearing euphoria that he's is already better than nurse etc.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
He looked good in TC and preseason when other teams had their Junior and AHL players, but really struggled when NHL players were starting.
AHL has looked good, and plays the right side.....I can see him getting the Benning treatment.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm not a fan of this, I'd rather see him play out the season in the AHL and not be plugged into the lineup out of necessity but I am intrigued.

I just hope this isn't a Marody situation where they call him.up and don't play him. What was the point of the Marody call up again?

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I like it. This kid has a confidence about him that makes me think he will turn some heads. I hope he gets playing time and is not getting the Marody treatment.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm not a fan of this, I'd rather see him play out the season in the AHL and not be plugged into the lineup out of necessity but I am intrigued.

I just hope this isn't a Marody situation where they call him.up and don't play him. What was the point of the Marody call up again?

I don't mind it.

It should only be a cup of coffee since Klef won't be out long unless an unrelated limb falls off or something with his luck.

Reactions: Zaddy

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Thing is guys like Jones need to get a shot to show what they can do at this level at some point. He’s played very well and earned a look. He should get into games, not sit in the press box aka Marody.

Nurse-Larsson
Russell-Benning
Gravel-Jones (he’s been playing the right side)

Garrison isn’t an NHL defenceman anymore and Wideman should only be used sparingly.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Thing is guys like Jones need to get a shot to show what they can do at this level at some point. He’s played very well and earned a look. He should get into games, not sit in the press box aka Marody.

Nurse-Larsson
Russell-Benning
Gravel-Jones (he’s been playing the right side)

Garrison isn’t an NHL defenceman anymore and Wideman should only be used sparingly.

Well, I'd be shocked if he played against Winnipeg and if Wideman or Garrison plays well, I don't think we see him for Philly either.

I'd rather see him in the lineup when he earns a spot, not as an injury fill in.
However, he has earned a look due to his strong play in Bakersfield so I hope we get a chance to see what he's got.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Well, I'd be shocked if he played against Winnipeg and if Wideman or Garrison plays well, I don't think we see him for Philly either.

I'd rather see him in the lineup when he earns a spot, not as an injury fill in.
However, he has earned a look due to his strong play in Bakersfield so I hope we get a chance to see what he's got.

The ‘earns a spot’ thing is kind of overblown to me. Even if he played better than they did, contracts being what they are he’d never have gotten a look over Klef/Nurse/Russell and even if he was better than Gravel - which he was in the preseason - it’s better for him to play big AHL minutes.

A call up and a few games to see where he is in his development at this level is totally fine and there’s no chance he’s worse than Garrison right now.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I don't mind giving him a few games to see where he's at.
Bear got to.
Bouchard got to.
Klefbom is out and we really don't have anyone better to bring up at this point that's proven imo.

Problem is Klefbom is probably gone for 20-30 days and I have no reason to believe that Jones is ready to take up for what's been lost and the players playing behind him on the depth chart probably aren't ready, either.

Do you put Nurse on the top pairing? What does that do to the 2nd pairing?
Holy cow this is scary.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
How many games does Caleb have to play this season before he is no longer exempt from the Seattle expansion draft?
It won't just be this season. We will have another season after this one before the expansion draft.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
How many games does Caleb have to play this season before he is no longer exempt from the Seattle expansion draft?
I think he will be anyway. All of Bear, Lagesson and Jones have played 3 years of pro hockey (AHL or NHL) when expansion happens.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Can anyone who follows Bakersfield provide the Coles notes on why everyone is so excited about Jones for those that don't follow the AHL?

I'm hearing euphoria that he's is already better than nurse etc.
If you take a look at the Bakersfield thread I posted an update from Woodcroft from Monday. Which if I'm a betting man I suspect Gregor will post an article about some time this week.

Essentially top pairing man in the AHL playing in every situation. He also to start the year was forced onto the right side while Gravel stayed on his left side. Which makes me somewhat think they'd be a pairing if Jones does indeed get into the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->