Cale Makar Vs Mitch Marner in the same draft year?

Makar Vs Marner same draft?

• Neutral fan select Makar

Votes: 24 15.5%
  • Neutral fan select Marner

Votes: 71 45.8%
  • Colorado fan select Makar

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Colorado fan select Marner

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Toronto fan select Makar

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Toronto fan select Marner

Votes: 36 23.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I...I really don't know how to even compare these two; but Marner's #s should decide it in his favor, especially when we factor in their level of competition.

That said, Makar reminds a lot of us of MacKinnon with the way he explodes around the ice (with those insane hands). So if all goes well and both of these guys make good on their potential...even if they don't hit their absolute ceiling...then I wouldn't be shocked if Makar was the more dynamic and game changing player.

But that would be a major gamble even if Marner was equally as raw as Makar, and not much more polished. So I have to vote Marner here

...though the leafs could just be cool and trade us Marner for Barrie once our kids on D are better prepared to pick up the slack for t-boobs. That way they could both be busts that certain leafs fans didn't even want in the first place :sarcasm:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If they were both in their draft years and had identical seasons as they had, there isn't an argument for Makar. Makar arguably wouldn't have gone Top-10 in the 2015 draft, and definitely wouldn't come off the board before Hanifin, Werenski, and Provorov. I think it's forgotten how good Marner was in his draft and draft +1 years.

It's closer now as Makar has proven to be good against better competition, but Marner has a 60 point season in the NHL & is on pace for 55 after slumping to start this year.

Easily Marner for me for both questions.

Makar wouldn't have topped that amazing troika nor topped Marner; but I can't help but think that a talent like his would weasel its way into a top 10 that ended up including Dylan Strome, Pavel Zacha & Timo Meier...even if I do still like Meier, unlike Strome. Yeah Makar was doing it in the AJHL, but he tore the RBC cup up twice as well against teams on par with his; and you could see (and assess) those tools regardless of the competition.

It was how intelligent & creative he was about utilizing those tools against guys who are closer to him in talent; that was still up in the air until he shined in the Summer series alongside some of the best of his peers; before he lead last year's Hockey East bottom feeders to match their previous year's win total just a month & 3 days into the season; and before he managed to put up stupefying /60 #s for Canada at the WJC despite his coach refusing to give him PT whenever he had any other choice.

But the tools were there to see. And with tools like those, I'd bet on at least one of the 10 GMs who picked in the top 10 that year buying that Makar had the brains & hockey-sense to make the most of those tools...especially with how well he apparently interviewed.
Marner was consensus in the 3-5 tier in a really strong draft year, Makar I think went at the top end of his possible range in a year that was particularly weak in the range that he was picked. If you took anyone out of the Strome/Hanifin/Marner tier and inserted them into last year's draft I think there's a real case that guy would go #1 against a very disappointing Nolan Patrick and Nico Hischier who didn't produce at near the same level as Strome/Marner in his draft year

There was a very widely believed tier of Strome/Hanifin/Marner in the 3-5 range of that draft

and it's too early to make decisions as to who's the best player of that group. Marner's a very good get, Provorov&Werenski look like potential #1's, and Dylan Strome could still be the best of that group having a monster year in the AHL

I never got the hype on Strome. I see the numbers on paper, but he never impressed when I watched him play. I was arguing that the Leafs & Avs got much better forwards out of that top 10 than did the Yotes from day 1. That size (despite how little he uses it) and those #s would've suckered another GM into rolling the dice on him learning to hockey better someday...but it would still have been a mistake. When all's said and done I'll be shocked if Strome is better than Hischier, Pettersson, Mittelstadt, Tolvanen or Necas...and if Patrick can stay healthy him to.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Makar wouldn't have topped that amazing troika nor topped Marner; but I can't help but think that a talent like his would weasel its way into a top 10 that ended up including Dylan Strome, Pavel Zacha & Timo Meier...even if I do still like Meier, unlike Strome. Yeah Makar was doing it in the AJHL, but he tore the RBC cup up twice as well against teams on par with his; and you could see (and assess) those tools regardless of the competition.

It was how intelligent & creative he was about utilizing those tools against guys who are closer to him in talent; that was still up in the air until he shined in the Summer series alongside some of the best of his peers; before he lead last year's Hockey East bottom feeders to match their previous year's win total just a month & 3 days into the season; and before he managed to put up stupefying /60 #s for Canada at the WJC despite his coach refusing to give him PT whenever he had any other choice.

But the tools were there to see. And with tools like those, I'd bet on at least one of the 10 GMs who picked in the top 10 that year buying that Makar had the brains & hockey-sense to make the most of those tools...especially with how well he apparently interviewed.

Yeah I'm in no way trying to diminish how good of a prospect Makar is, I was just trying to be realistic.

I could see him potentially getting in there before Meier, but there's really no way to know. The cards would really be stacked against him in that draft as he probably would have been consensus #4 defenseman, but he also has a late birthday, and is "undersized".

As much as I could say he is a top-15 lock for that draft, I felt the same about Barzal and he fell. No way to be sure, but I know he wouldn't have displaced the trio of defenseman.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Neutral fan: Marner AINEC like hella not even close (and at least he loves his country unlike the self hating Makar)

I wonder if anyone at hockey canada sees people mistreating Makar like this and realizes what dicks they were just because of the petty CHL-NCAA rivalry. I've bitched about the politics in HC often enough, but that was just gross. Way to throw a 19 year old who just came up huge for you at the WJC...despite his coach doing all that he could to prevent him from seeing the ice...under the bus. And all just because the kid decided to stay loyal to the program that was interested in him before he blew up, rather than bailing on them for a CHL team.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah I'm in no way trying to diminish how good of a prospect Makar is, I was just trying to be realistic.

I could see him potentially getting in there before Meier, but there's really no way to know. The cards would really be stacked against him in that draft as he probably would have been consensus #4 defenseman, but he also has a late birthday, and is "undersized".

As much as I could say he is a top-15 lock for that draft, I felt the same about Barzal and he fell. No way to be sure, but I know he wouldn't have displaced the trio of defenseman.

Oh I know, it's why I voted for Marner to. But I was just taking the opportunity to gush about Makar and the way he has continued to rise rapidly throughout 2017...kinda how Rantanen just kept thriving after he realized how good he actualy was at that draft year WJC.

As for Barzal that's a good point. I figured the injury plagued campaign would knock him down, but I was thinking it would drop him from battling Marner & Rantanen for the third best forward title to around the pick with which we ended up getting Mikko...where I'm ashamed to admit I wanted Crouse if we didn't get Rantanen...not all of the way to the late teens. That Boston trio of picks remains one of the craziest draft day sequences I've watched in any sport...and I even liked Senyshyn as a mid 20s to late 30s two way winger who could become a prime Loui Eriksson if all went well.

And agreed with the bolded. Makar has really wooed me over the past year; but I was an absolutely massive Provorov fan and rated Hanifin very highly as well...granted I did have concerns about Werenski's two way game given just how gung ho that Michigan team was; concerns which weren't alleviated when he got draft by JMFJ's team...but I still doubt I would've put Makar ahead of him.

Reactions: Morgs

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Marner because he has proven he can be effective at this level. Makar is a very valuable prospect, but you'd have to take Marner in this situation, as most people and teams would.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
:laugh: Makar actually has votes. He's done nothing to even be in the same conversation as Marner.

Reactions: rubous

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
bad teams (like the leafs were forever) will often take forwards to help immediately. Now they're wishing they took Provorov or Werenski

This is such a bad take lol.

Leafs had holes across their roster and took the player they thought was best available.

In 2014 Carolina took Haydn Fleury over Nylander or Ehlers. Are you saying they made the right move just because they took a D over high end forwards they were on the board?

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
:laugh: Makar actually has votes. He's done nothing to even be in the same conversation as Marner.

I think the only reason people would pick Makar over Marner is for their needs I guess. But I would definitely pick Marner over Makar however like Pierce Hawthorne said about who's going to be the better player down the road it's a different conversation.

Now, who's going to be the better player down the road? That's potentially a different conversation that we dont know the answer to right now

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
bad teams (like the leafs were forever) will often take forwards to help immediately. Now they're wishing they took Provorov or Werenski

nice dig bro!

yeah and the flyers coulda had barzal or rantanen
they also coulda taken any of #3,4,5 from the 2017 draft instead of patrick

i think the leafs are pretty happy sitting at 63pts and almost assured of a playoff spot.
flyers still pretty mediocre though. been that way every year since they lost to the hawks eh?

Flyers1928

Jan 26, 2018
Canada
nice dig bro!

yeah and the flyers coulda had barzal or rantanen
they also coulda taken any of #3,4,5 from the 2017 draft instead of patrick

i think the leafs are pretty happy sitting at 63pts and almost assured of a playoff spot.
flyers still pretty mediocre though. been that way every year since they lost to the hawks eh?
why would they want brazal or rantanen over provorov?
your teams been pretty mediocre since last SCF too, when was that again?

Reactions: avsfan09

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I'd take Provorov over both Rantanen anx Barzal for the Avs. But this is off topic and due to needs and the rarity of top end D. Hopefully Makar can become that for us.

This is a stupid poll though. I'm their draft years there is very little reason(other than needs) to pick Maker over Marner. That said the Avs need Makar more than Marner and I wouldn't swap the two. In the future there's a good chance Makar can pass Marker and maybe we can redo a poll than.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'd take Provorov over both Rantanen anx Barzal for the Avs. But this is off topic and due to needs and the rarity of top end D. Hopefully Makar can become that for us.

This is a stupid poll though. I'm their draft years there is very little reason(other than needs) to pick Maker over Marner. That said the Avs need Makar more than Marner and I wouldn't swap the two. In the future there's a good chance Makar can pass Marker and maybe we can redo a poll than.
I still don't think you can compare Marner to Makar because one is a forward and the other is a defenseman, even if you wanted to in a few years. Plus it's not like Colorado a choice between them since Marner was selected 2 years earlier.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I still don't think you can compare Marner to Makar because one is a forward and the other is a defenseman, even if you wanted to in a few years. Plus it's not like Colorado a choice between them since Marner was selected 2 years earlier.
Yeah its definitely harder but I still think you can compare forwards and defenceman due to their impact in winning games. I just don't think you can compare them until they be both played in the same league for sometime.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah its definitely harder but I still think you can compare forwards and defenceman due to their impact in winning games. I just don't think you can compare them until they be both played in the same league for sometime.
If Marner and Makar were in the same draft it's one thing to compare at who should have been selected first between them. However since Marner was selected in 2015 and Makar was selected in 2017 that right there is the reason you should not compare them together.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
No one woulda picked Makar over Marner playing in the league he was in, 0 chance

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
The answer is Marner of course. It wouldn't surprise me at all though if Makar ends up as the better/more valuable player.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
lol quit living in the past, the flyers are going to miss the playoffs with there stud D man lol, im so happy to be a leafs fan with all this first class talent if u had to pick a roster u would pick your philly roster over the leafs? lol!

Flyers1928

Jan 26, 2018
Canada
lol quit living in the past, the flyers are going to miss the playoffs with there stud D man lol, im so happy to be a leafs fan with all this first class talent if u had to pick a roster u would pick your philly roster over the leafs? lol!
sure would take flyers system, i know leafs playing well but looking at there D lately is laughable

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
sure would take flyers system, i know leafs playing well but looking at there D lately is laughable
lol okay there..... good luck with that:) hope we meet in the playoffs u guys and ur great team better start winning though! lol watched your great D implode last night vs the caps was sure proving that ur d is so much better than the leafs though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad