Cale Makar Vs Mitch Marner in the same draft year?

Makar Vs Marner same draft?

• Neutral fan select Makar

Votes: 24 15.5%
  • Neutral fan select Marner

Votes: 71 45.8%
  • Colorado fan select Makar

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Colorado fan select Marner

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Toronto fan select Makar

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Toronto fan select Marner

Votes: 36 23.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
Ok maybe a little unfair question/poll in the other poll who you fans for both clubs would take right now with Makar just a prospect by now.

But If they was in the same draft year and both Toronto and Colorado could choose? the question is which player would they select?

Also you Neutral fans could vote.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
If they were both in their draft years and had identical seasons as they had, there isn't an argument for Makar. Makar arguably wouldn't have gone Top-10 in the 2015 draft, and definitely wouldn't come off the board before Hanifin, Werenski, and Provorov. I think it's forgotten how good Marner was in his draft and draft +1 years.

It's closer now as Makar has proven to be good against better competition, but Marner has a 60 point season in the NHL & is on pace for 55 after slumping to start this year.

Easily Marner for me for both questions.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
Marner had one of the best jr careers of all time. Kinda a no brainer here. If for some reason the leafs wanted a defenceman instead then Provorov, or Hanifin would be picked before Makar.

Reactions: biturbo19

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
In Marner's draft year if it wasn't for McDavid and Eichel there was some people who thought he could have had a chance at going 1st overall. So based on that and his whole career in the OHL London, he is the obvious answer. Plus he also broke the Leafs rookie season record for assists in one season, so considering they are a franchise which is 100 year old that's a great accomplishment.

Reactions: Plural

Flyers1928

Jan 26, 2018
Canada
bad teams (like the leafs were forever) will often take forwards to help immediately. Now they're wishing they took Provorov or Werenski

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
bad teams (like the leafs were forever) will often take forwards to help immediately. Now they're wishing they took Provorov or Werenski
In that same draft year the Leafs got Travis Dermott in the 2nd round and so far he looks like he can become a top 4 Defenseman. So they get the best of both worlds with him and Marner.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Marner was consensus in the 3-5 tier in a really strong draft year, Makar I think went at the top end of his possible range in a year that was particularly weak in the range that he was picked. If you took anyone out of the Strome/Hanifin/Marner tier and inserted them into last year's draft I think there's a real case that guy would go #1 against a very disappointing Nolan Patrick and Nico Hischier who didn't produce at near the same level as Strome/Marner in his draft year

There was a very widely believed tier of Strome/Hanifin/Marner in the 3-5 range of that draft

and it's too early to make decisions as to who's the best player of that group. Marner's a very good get, Provorov&Werenski look like potential #1's, and Dylan Strome could still be the best of that group having a monster year in the AHL

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

Fans who are inexperienced with the game will think that the draft + 3 years are enough time to evaluate them. Both of those D have one thing over Marner, an NHL ready body. Marner is getting by with his skills and IQ.

3 years from now he is much stronger and suddenly you have a Gaudreau on your hands or better. Young D often get over rated due to being able to play a lot of minutes, but until they win something in those spots it's hard to rank them properly.

See, Ekblad and how over rated he got.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Marner was a better prospect at the time of his draft, and was a 61 point player at the same age Makar is in college. Even if we go by draft season, Makar has to be close to an impact player next year to really make this a discussion.

Flyers1928

Jan 26, 2018
Canada
Fans who are inexperienced with the game will think that the draft + 3 years are enough time to evaluate them. Both of those D have one thing over Marner, an NHL ready body. Marner is getting by with his skills and IQ.

3 years from now he is much stronger and suddenly you have a Gaudreau on your hands or better. Young D often get over rated due to being able to play a lot of minutes, but until they win something in those spots it's hard to rank them properly.

marner aint no gaudreau and i take 1D over 1W any day

Flyers1928

Jan 26, 2018
Canada
Maybe Werenski. We are fine with who we took. I'm sure you'll love opposing fans second guessing your Patrick pick for awhile.
who else should they have took there? Provorov much better all around D then werenski and of course im biased. Love the werenski hype. Ghost had way better rookie year and sets records yet no hype for him

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
who else should they have took there? Provorov much better all around D then werenski and of course im biased. Love the werenski hype. Ghost had way better rookie year and sets records yet no hype for him
Yeah, you are biased. Very much so.

Werenski's possession and xGF% numbers blow Provorov out of the water, even if you factor in the effect of playing with Andrew MacDonald at times. Gostisbehere put up better numbers being 4 years olders, and having arguably the most sheltered usage of any top defenders in the league. Until this year, every year in the league he had a ZSR of over 60%. He also has the easier usage by quality of comp stats compared to Werenski over the past 2 years.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016

There are so many things wrong with this I don’t know where to start

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Marner had one of the best jr careers of all time. Kinda a no brainer here. If for some reason the leafs wanted a defenceman instead then Provorov, or Hanifin would be picked before Makar.

Yeah. Hard to deny the sort of results Marner had in Juniors, even by draft day. Not to mention how much more stable a projection someone like Marner profiled as. Not only in being a scoring phenom Forward rather than a Defenceman, but in coming out of the proven OHL rather than a Jr A league.

The only real argument i could see for Makar as a prospect on their respective draft days, is Marner's serious lack of size (especially how skinny he was at the time). But he was just too talented and elusive for that to really be a major concern for me.

I could see an argument for Makar if you're a team absolutely beyond desperate for help on the blueline, so long as you view the two as being on the same "tier" as prospects in that draft...but on draft day, i can't say i would've felt that way about the two. Especially if we allow the other amazing defence prospects from that draft to leak into the conversation. I would've comfortably had Werenski, Provorov, and Hanifin ahead of Makar as blueliners. Whereas at the time, it would've been a real struggle for me choosing between the forward in Marner, and the two guys i absolutely loved as bluechip defence prospects in Werenski+Provorov. Same tier, where opting for the blueliner out of "need" would've been easily justifiable to me.

Reactions: cgf

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Neutral fan: Marner AINEC like hella not even close (and at least he loves his country unlike the self hating Makar)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->