Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall] Part II: #OrrIsTheFloor Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
If Makar "fell off" to a .93 p/gm over 82 games that would be 76 points which would tie Larry Murphy for best rookie dman season ever.

I hope he does, but highly doubt he will finish At even a .93 pt/gm. I'd be happy if he tied lidstroms 61 point rookie season.

In 1980-81 season when Larry Murphy put up 76 points in 80 games as a rookie the leading scorer in the league was Wayne Gretzky with 164 points in 80 games. So Murphy put up only 0.46 points as compared to the top scorer in the league (albeit the greatest scorer of all time). There were 12 skaters who reached 100+ points that year in an 80 game schedule. Last year 6 players reached 100 points in an 82 game schedule. Scoring is up this year (hallelujah!), but my point is Murphy scored 76 points during a very high scoring era. Adjusting for overall league scoring, even if Makar ONLY put up about 60 points that would be about equivalent to Murphy's 76 points. That being said I am very confident that Makar can break the record of 76 points, but adjusting for the era this would make this feat that much more remarkable if he can achieve those totals.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
If Makar does break the rookie record, hypothetically what will his value be in the league. More than MacKinnon? Approaching McDavid value? He's going to get paid HUGE right off of his ELC.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If Makar does break the rookie record, hypothetically what will his value be in the league. More than MacKinnon? Approaching McDavid value? He's going to get paid HUGE right off of his ELC.

I'd say 9.5M to 10M range? I can't see him asking for much more than Rants...but Rants only signed for 6 years and I hope we lock Makar for more than that especially since we only get 2 ELC years.

Some people were happy about losing an ELC year with him joining the last playoffs...doesn't look as good now does it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd say 9.5M to 10M range? I can't see him asking for much more than Rants...but Rants only signed for 6 years and I hope we lock Makar for more than that especially since we only get 2 ELC years.

Some people were happy about losing an ELC year with him joining the last playoffs...doesn't look as good now does it.

...are you saying that you would rather he have 3 ELC years to pad his resume and the cap to rise, before we could lock him down?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Looks amazing and even better now. He helped the team get to game 7 of the second round last year and it gave him some good experience coming into this season. I believe it was in one of the summer interviews where he talked about knowing what to expect now and training accordingly.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
...are you saying that you would rather he have 3 ELC years to pad his resume and the cap to rise, before we could lock him down?
Say he signs for 6 years after his ELC (like Rants) then becomes UFA...would you rather have him for 2 + 6 or 3 + 6?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

I think just a bit under Mackinnon. Makar would need more than one amazing season to qualify for Mackinnon-type money. Mackinnon will get 12-13 on his next contract.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think just a bit under Mackinnon. Makar would need more than one amazing season to qualify for Mackinnon-type money. Mackinnon will get 12-13 on his next contract.

More than that. Matthews just got nearly 12...and Mack is better and will sign 4 years later. I'd say in the 15M-16M range depending on where the cap is by then.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

There is good and bad to it still. With the numbers he's putting up thusfar, and seems probably he will next season. I don't see a discount coming on his next ELC. If he struggled this year and broke out next season, you might see a discount. But if he puts up 50+ this year and 60+ next year, he's getting the same contract as Dahlin. If he only put up 30 this year then 50, he'd have to take a bridge or take less. I don't see it as a money saving idea... playing like he is now, it is Dahlin money regardless. On term, if the ELC started this year, there is a potential for an extra year of team control. Instead of 10 full seasons, there would be a potential for 11 full seasons. Which, is basically the difference between 31 and 32 upon the expiration of that deal. Which is the end of normal primes (where it is entirely possible he will have a longer prime).

All that said, the second he helped the Avs advance around, it confirmed it as the right decision regardless of money, expansion, or term. The minimal amount of cash it cost, was fully made up for in 2nd round ticket sales and hype for this upcoming season. The argument against Makar and his ELC was solely based on not advancing a round and saving a space for expansion. When the Avs advanced, the argument fell apart.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yep...that was worth it. And remember, they took their 2nd round opponent all the way to Game 7. One might argue they were one idiotic offside review from advancing to the Conference Final (not me of course).

Everybody won out in that scenario. Cale gets that much closer to a big payday, the Avs make a pretty triumphant statement in the postseason, and the fans finally get something to crow about for the first time in over a decade.

Reactions: missionAvs

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
There is good and bad to it still. With the numbers he's putting up thusfar, and seems probably he will next season. I don't see a discount coming on his next ELC. If he struggled this year and broke out next season, you might see a discount. But if he puts up 50+ this year and 60+ next year, he's getting the same contract as Dahlin. If he only put up 30 this year then 50, he'd have to take a bridge or take less. I don't see it as a money saving idea... playing like he is now, it is Dahlin money regardless. On term, if the ELC started this year, there is a potential for an extra year of team control. Instead of 10 full seasons, there would be a potential for 11 full seasons. Which, is basically the difference between 31 and 32 upon the expiration of that deal. Which is the end of normal primes (where it is entirely possible he will have a longer prime).

All that said, the second he helped the Avs advance around, it confirmed it as the right decision regardless of money, expansion, or term. The minimal amount of cash it cost, was fully made up for in 2nd round ticket sales and hype for this upcoming season. The argument against Makar and his ELC was solely based on not advancing a round and saving a space for expansion. When the Avs advanced, the argument fell apart.

The biggest argument for not letting him play in the playoffs for many people was actually that the Avs will need to use 1 protected spot in the expansion draft for Makar. To me that was always stinkin thinking if you really believed Makar could make any difference in the playoffs. Canuck fans were all screaming that the Canucks should not allow Quinn Hughes to play 9 games at the end of the year no matter what in order for them to not have to protect him. Asset management was all the rage. Turns out Hughes got hurt so 9 games was not possible. It also turns out that the Canucks won't even have 11 decent players worth protecting anyway HAHA!:laugh:

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The one that's cheaper.

It won't be significantly cheaper and I'd rather have him in an Avs jersey for 9 years than 8 years. His ELC will expire at the same time as Pettersson's and Heiskanen's and they got them for one more year.

That said, I wasn't against playing him in the playoffs and it won't matter much if he stays with the Avs for 10+ years.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

What's worrisome is the new trend of young superstars trying to get UFA as young as possible. Losing an ELC year could shorten his time with the Avs by one year. I'm not worried about expansion draft or anything like that.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It won't be significantly cheaper and I'd rather have him in an Avs jersey for 9 years than 8 years. His ELC will expire at the same time as Pettersson's and Heiskanen's and they got them for one more year.

That said, I wasn't against playing him in the playoffs and it won't matter much if he stays with the Avs for 10+ years.

Says who? It's another year for him to gain consistency and bolster his #s and another year for the cap to rise; we just watched Mikko sign for ~2M a year more than he would've if he had been forced to sign a year sooner & didn't opt for a bridge deal. So why would Cale's pricetag not rise significantly?

As things stand now the Dahlin deal will almost certainly set an upper bar to what Cale can ask for since they'll be signing their deals in the same offseason...but if he had another year to wait for other comparables to sign under the post-Dahlin structure, including Seth Jones potentially setting a new record blueliner-contract that same summer, he could have a case for Dahlin money & less term...the way Matthews was able to ask once the post McDavid structure had started to filter through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad