Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall] Part II: #OrrIsTheFloor Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cake Malar

Oct 14, 2017
Yeah, lets send down our rookie defenseman who has 7 points in 8 games, because if there's anything this organization has proven it's that they can develop NHL level defensemen in the AHL...

Stop suggesting the AHL as a panacea for all of our prospects. This organization has basically no track record with reliably producing NHL talent through their AHL team. I'm not saying we shouldn't send our prospects there. Every prospect is different. But the only way the Avs have shown they can develop prospects is by throwing them right in the NHL.

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Stop suggesting the AHL as a panacea for all of our prospects. This organization has basically no track record with reliably producing NHL talent through their AHL team. I'm not saying we shouldn't send our prospects there. Every prospect is different. But the only way the Avs have shown they can develop prospects is by throwing them right in the NHL.

lol what about rantanan?

Cake Malar

Oct 14, 2017
lol what about rantanan?
You've got the one guy in the last 10 years! Rantanen was a unique prospect who was going to succeed no matter where he played. I would say he succeeded DESPITE playing on the Avs' AHL affiliate. JTC got some time in the AHL, but the Avs brought him up as soon as they could. No one else on the roster has played a significant amount of time there.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think the main reason Makar's struggling is simply because as opposed to a normal rookie season, or his games last year, everyone knows who he is now after that playoff run.

He doesn't get to ease his way into the season or surprise anyone out there. Teams are targeting him on dump ins, and he's struggling to make the quick plays under pressure. He's got to move the puck a little quicker, or step out from behind the net and skate it out quicker.

He's just hesitating a little too much now trying to figure out what all his options are, so he can make the best one, but by the time he picks one, there's one and sometimes two forecheckers all over him.

He's just got to settle down a bit, and the coaching staff, and guys like Cole and EJ need to give him some pointers about staying in position during scrambles. He's trying to cover multiple guys at times after they move the puck, when he'd be better served just staying in position to block passing lanes. He's just trying to do too much right now. Probably because he thinks he needs to replace Barrie's role alone as a rookie, when in reality it's a committee approach.

He'll get it figured out. He's got 7 points in 8 games without really even playing that well. Imagine what he'll be able to do when the game starts slowing down for him.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
You've got the one guy in the last 10 years! Rantanen was a unique prospect who was going to succeed no matter where he played. I would say he succeeded DESPITE playing on the Avs' AHL affiliate. JTC got some time in the AHL, but the Avs brought him up as soon as they could. No one else on the roster has played a significant amount of time there.

Tyson Barrie did (I know he's not on our roster right now), Graves, Zadorov all spent significant time in the AHL.

But I do agree that our AHL development has been hit and miss. We have not outright developed a stud (outside of a first round pick) through our development program since Barrie.

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada

Yeah one quality guy in 10-15 years is nothing to write home about. We suck at developing anything of value from the AHL.

I'm hoping guys like Timmins, Bowers and Kaut change this a bit. But as of now our AHL development record is miserable.

Lol but to be honest fellas... your prospect pool wasn't that deep anyways. Impact players like Gabby and MacK made it right away and the rest of these fellas - I'm talking about guys like Siemens - were not that great to begin with. It might be that your AHL affiliate isn't that great, but the quality of your young talent just isn't there. Lets hope guys like Kaut etc will make it.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
He brings up a good point that some of us have been concerned about for years--whether or not the AHL affiliate does what's necessary to develop players.

I'm REALLY curious as to how J.C. Beaudin does in Ottawa now that he's been called up. If he somehow turns into a decent NHLer, that will be oh-so damning of Billington and everyone below him. I'm guessing that won't happen, but nonetheless, I don't see how a guy who hasn't really developed much talent continues to be the guy in charge of developing talent.

I don't think Cale needs to be sent down. For starters, I still think part of the problem is that Bednar has him with the wrong defensive partner. Secondly, he's still producing despite not playing at a great level, it's not like a player can't develop at the NHL level.

Reactions: Truman Peyote

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Lol but to be honest fellas... your prospect pool wasn't that deep anyways. Impact players like Gabby and MacK made it right away and the rest of these fellas - I'm talking about guys like Siemens - were not that great to begin with. It might be that your AHL affiliate isn't that great, but the quality of your young talent just isn't there. Lets hope guys like Kaut etc will make it.

Well its a chicken or the egg question. Was it because the young talents weren't good or they just weren't developed properly. We haven't seen enough players we drafted who developed significantly outside of our system to say that its poor development.

Timmins IMO, is the guy closest to being our next O'Reilly/Barrie/Stastny level steal.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Yep, just me, and even I don't want it done now, but later if he keeps struggling.

I'm done arguing about it though. It's not worth it. There are too many people here who see an opinion they disagree with and think the appropriate response is mockery and/or condescension.
You’re not wrong, he has struggled to an extent. I just don’t see how he comes out when there is no adequate replacement and he’s playing average compared to the rest of the group. You have valid concerns and should voice them as it helps to keep things even keel. I have watched all the games though so no need to doubt if I have.;)

Reactions: MarkT

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He brings up a good point that some of us have been concerned about for years--whether or not the AHL affiliate does what's necessary to develop players.

I'm REALLY curious as to how J.C. Beaudin does in Ottawa now that he's been called up. If he somehow turns into a decent NHLer, that will be oh-so damning of Billington and everyone below him. I'm guessing that won't happen, but nonetheless, I don't see how a guy who hasn't really developed much talent continues to be the guy in charge of developing talent.

I don't think Cale needs to be sent down. For starters, I still think part of the problem is that Bednar has him with the wrong defensive partner. Secondly, he's still producing despite not playing at a great level, it's not like a player can't develop at the NHL level.

JC has been the 13th forward for Belleville and Ottawa has made an organizational decision to shield their young players from their team this year. There are murmurs that Brannstrom would go back to Sweden if he was sent down this season. JC in the NHL is just a byproduct of that. I do wish the kid the best though.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Girard has been shooting a lot more this year and right now is a better puck handler than Makar. He's also better at anticipating and erasing mistakes going the other way. Could be a good move for both PPs.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The only downside is moving him from PP1 could cost him the Calder.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
“I’d be idiotic not to” choose Cale Makar as the projected Calder winner - what was just said on Kouleas/Barnaby on nhl radio. Then all 3 of them said Cale is by far the favorite to win. :naughty:

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Admittedly, I like this move more because it bolsters what I thought was a decidedly "meh" power play unit (at least on paper, they may have been better production-wise I don't know). Without Big Carl there that 2nd unit just doesn't look right at the moment.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If he finds a groove I’ll be back on PP1 soon so that should not matter. If can’t get back to playoff-Makar then he won’t win the Calder anyway.

Guarantee you that if he kept collecting assists on PP1 he'd win the Calder regardless of the rest of his game. 60 pts for a rookie dman? It wouldn't even be close.

Last edited:

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Yep, just me, and even I don't want it done now, but later if he keeps struggling.

I'm done arguing about it though. It's not worth it. There are too many people here who see an opinion they disagree with and think the appropriate response is mockery and/or condescension.
Wait... are there ways to voice our opinions that aren’t condescending?

Reactions: MarkT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->