Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall] Part II: #OrrIsTheFloor Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Going to make a prediction here and say that MacKinnon sees a huge jump in his PPG numbers due to Makar. We've seen flashes of how crisp the Makar passes can be, and I think it benefits MacKinnon's one timers. Nate was second in shot trailing only Ovi on the PP, but only shot 10%, while most of his comparables shot 16-21% (Laine, Pastrnak, Stamkos etc...) Almost all of them saw a jump in % while on the PP, while MacKinnon dropped.

MacKinnon actually shot 18.5% on the PP in 2017-2018, so if he even gets there, we're talking 20 goals vs his 12 last season.

Food for thought.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Man, I fall in love with every player we have - even the terrible ones (I was like an abused wife during the Sacco years), but Makar is making it easy.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
1978CB89-DC0D-4470-AC20-0867DF913C8E.jpeg

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
His mentality was a big part of why I felt so confident in him making the most of his talent as a prospect. Pod seems to be cut from the same cloth and it's a big part of why I was so high on him this year.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

When you see how Makar speaks and carries himself, the stories in this article aren't a big surprise, but they're great to read. He's more mature than most adults to be honest. That kind of maturity can only come from his upbringing.

He's probably already Bednar's favorite player on the team. They actually seem very similar in their inward thinking, humbleness, and perseverance.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
When you see how Makar speaks and carries himself, the stories in this article aren't a big surprise, but they're great to read. He's more mature than most adults to be honest. That kind of maturity can only come from his upbringing.

He's probably already Bednar's favorite player on the team. They actually seem very similar in their inward thinking and humbleness.
Yeah he really is mature and has a good head on his shoulders for such a young guy.

Reactions: Foppa2118

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

He's probably already Bednar's favorite player on the team. They actually seem very similar in their inward thinking, humbleness, and perseverance.
Its gonna suck when Cale signs with Calgary. He prolly still has Calgary Flames pajamas.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I still think Cale is most dangerous on the PP in the MacK spot...and if we used our 2nd unit more, I'd be curious to see him in the MacK spot on PP2 while we tested Timmins out in the Barrie spot on PP1.

But given the way we distribute the minutes between our units, Cale needs to be out there with PP1.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I still think Cale is most dangerous on the PP in the MacK spot...and if we used our 2nd unit more, I'd be curious to see him in the MacK spot on PP2 while we tested Timmins out in the Barrie spot on PP1.

But given the way we distribute the minutes between our units, Cale needs to be out there with PP1.

Lets just hope Cale can pass it into Macks wheelhouse and not his skates.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Lets just hope Cale can pass it into Macks wheelhouse and not his skates.

TBH I'm more concerned about his shot being enough of a threat right away. He's a lot further along with his shot than Tyson was when he broke into the NHL so I'm confident it'll get there sooner or later...but IMO the thing that was most responsible for our PP hitting that elite level it's been at recently, was Tyson learning how to get his shot through quickly & consistently.

Cale has the heaviness on his shot, the quick release, and the hands/feet to walk the line; it's just a question of how long it takes him to learn how to anticipate shooting lanes before the puck comes to him; so that his one-timer will be enough of a threat for teams to be forced to give MacK or Mikko space when Cale is the one getting tee'd up.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I for one think our PP1 and PP2 need to be run differently. PP1 can be the current setup based on getting the puck to Nate and having him either shoot or distribute it around for shots.

For PP2, I'd really like to see Graves given a chance, and have Girard or Timmins feeding him pucks to shoot. Bura can carry it in, and the other two guys can focus on screening the goalie, tipping pucks and puck retrieval. My vote would be Wilson and one of Donskoi, Compher or Jost in those roles.

If I've had one big complaints with the Avs powerplay, it's that there's been no attempt to have a big shot from the point as a weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->