Cale Makar: 2nd Season Prophecies

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The fact that Toews is 26 years old, they paid a heavy price for him and then made a decent sized commitment to him are facts though. I’m confident in my read of the situation, we’ll see.

Fair enough. I don't doubt there's a decent chance Toews ends up being the pick. I'm just disagreeing that he's a lock, before the coaches get a look at him and the others on the PK in camp/pre-season.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
I honestly don’t recall him playing poorly in that Dallas series.
He definitely was exhausted in the end of that Dallas series. Late in games he was bobbling plays quite a bit and that extra gear was just non existent. He wasnt bad by any means but it was very noticeable he hit a wall.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
He definitely was exhausted in the end of that Dallas series. Late in games he was bobbling plays quite a bit and that extra gear was just non existent. He wasnt bad by any means but it was very noticeable he hit a wall.

There was that one game against Arizona where he played most of the 3rd and he was completely finished. I believe there was one game against Dallas as well, where it was noticeable.

Aside from that I thought he was pretty dominant in the playoffs. I honestly felt he was better than MacKinnon in a couple games of that Dallas series.

Reactions: S3rkie

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
There was that one game against Arizona where he played most of the 3rd and he was completely finished. I believe there was one game against Dallas as well, where it was noticeable.

Aside from that I thought he was pretty dominant in the playoffs. I honestly felt he was better than MacKinnon in a couple games of that Dallas series.

Everyone was tired against Dallas. I remember Bednar saying even MacKinnon was dead tired during one Dallas game.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If you don’t like Makar hype, proceed with extreme caution.

I can't pinpoint why but it feels like their podcast took a turn in the wrong direction ever since they got on Youtube. Used to listen to whole podcasts and now I couldn't even watch that video for more than 2 minutes.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I can't pinpoint why but it feels like their podcast took a turn in the wrong direction ever since they got on Youtube. Used to listen to whole podcasts and now I couldn't even watch that video for more than 2 minutes.

I don’t know, I think they do a good job. I like listening to that kind of stuff while I’m working on getting other things done.

4:50 to 5:50 is where the hype train gets rolling.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't believe they edit the podcasts anymore since they do them live a lot of times now.

Whatever, I think they're pretty engaging. Podcasts of all kinds contain a ton of blather. Someone online did a perfect skit on someone talking about nothing on a podcast, wish I could find it.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Maybe their political views? That sort of stuff sours people. I could care less either way I just like them gushing over Makar and Mackinnon every episode.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I mentioned this in the GDT last night, and I’m not sure if it’s a concern others are seeing.

Ever since the start of the playoff bubble Makar doesn’t look to have the same speed that he had on the regular season last year. I don’t know if he’s added some muscle and isn’t able to get to the same speed now, or what, but he definitely looks slower.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I mentioned this in the GDT last night, and I’m not sure if it’s a concern others are seeing.

Ever since the start of the playoff bubble Makar doesn’t look to have the same speed that he had on the regular season last year. I don’t know if he’s added some muscle and isn’t able to get to the same speed now, or what, but he definitely looks slower.

I think he needs to play way more minutes now; he's not going full gallop as much.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
He sure doesn’t look as dynamic as he did all last season. I’ve hardly noticed him and yes, that is a problem when he’s expected to create a lot of offence. Toews and Girard have been much more noticeable.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Still early. He looked pretty dynamic in Game 2 when he nearly scored that highlight reel goal. You can take a gear away from him and he will still be faster than 95% of the league.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think Cale has looked a little safer so far this year than last and I think it could be that he's still shaking the rust off and trying to get used to a new partner. So maybe figuring out what does and doesn't work with Toews, trying to figure out timing and just general chemistry stuff like that.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I was wrong about Makar losing a step of his speed. It was clearly just the layoff, because he looks as fast as ever right now.

8 points in 7 games +4 on the season.

He was on the ice for 19 chances for and only 5 against tonight. The best margin on the team, again.

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I didn't look at corsi and advanced stats but I'm sure Makar is still at the top or near the top in many categories.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->