Prospect Info: Cale Fleury

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I had Walford in my list to draft. Was just not expected that soon. And it still doesn't make sense to me. I would have taken a chance so much with Lipanov. Or a little more secure with Mattheos.

Us not grabbing Lipanov was stupid. I liked Walford too but had Lipanov way higher and it would be another pure center in our system.

Hopefully they don't miss out on Morozov or Iskhakov.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Us not grabbing Lipanov was stupid. I liked Walford too but had Lipanov way higher and it would be another pure center in our system.

Was surprised the organization got Valiev for Plekanec, and honestly wonder when they'll draft another russian.

4 russians were drafted since 2007 (didn't go further), Trunev in 08, Avtsin in 09, Scherbak in 14 and Sergachev in 16.

Wouldn't hold my breath.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Was surprised the organization got Valiev for Plekanec, and honestly wonder when they'll draft another russian.

4 russians were drafted since 2007 (didn't go further), Trunev in 08, Avtsin in 09, Scherbak in 14 and Sergachev in 16.

Wouldn't hold my breath.

The worst Russian miss was Kuznetsov. I read articles talking about how good he, Tarasenko and a few other Russian prospects were that year. I think a few Russian players had stayed in the KHL around that time and so there was concern of losing them for nothing.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

I wanted Lipanov at 68 and Elvenes at 87.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

Wouldn't hold my breath.

2 of our last four 1st rounders are russian.
If you count Galchenyuk as russian, half of our 1st rounders are russian in the bergevin era. Thats a lot.

MB and Timmins are clearly not afraid of drafting russians.

Reactions: Habs100

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Interesting read on EOTP. They mention a little loophole that Habs can exploit if they sign Fleury to an ELC now. One they exploited with Scherbak and Lernout. It's the late birthday rule. Fleury is born on November 19th.

I didn't know the specifics before, but in the NHL, the cut-off is September 15th, while in the AHL it's December 31st. So if he plays in the NHL, it will be his 20 year old season (seeing as his b-day is after Sept. 15th), while if he's in the AHL, it will be his 19 year old season (seeing as it's before December 31st). And the rule says that if a player is 19, has an NHL contract (ELC) and is not playing in the NHL, his contract slides.

This gives the Habs the chance to give Fleury an extra year of development in the AHL. In essence, they will have him on a 3-year ELC but really have him for 4 years instead.

Not to mention, it doesn't seem like there's much left for him to learn at the Junior level. He's played exactly 269 games over the span of 4 years. And with Joel Bouchard at the helm in Laval, the next step for Fleury is in a lot better hands then it would have been if this was a year ago.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Interesting read on EOTP. They mention a little loophole that Habs can exploit if they sign Fleury to an ELC now. One they exploited with Scherbak and Lernout. It's the late birthday rule. Fleury is born on November 19th.

I didn't know the specifics before, but in the NHL, the cut-off is September 15th, while in the AHL it's December 31st. So if he plays in the NHL, it will be his 20 year old season (seeing as his b-day is after Sept. 15th), while if he's in the AHL, it will be his 19 year old season (seeing as it's before December 31st). And the rule says that if a player is 19, has an NHL contract (ELC) and is not playing in the NHL, his contract slides.

This gives the Habs the chance to give Fleury an extra year of development in the AHL. In essence, they will have him on a 3-year ELC but really have him for 4 years instead.

Not to mention, it doesn't seem like there's much left for him to learn at the Junior level. He's played exactly 269 games over the span of 4 years. And with Joel Bouchard at the helm in Laval, the next step for Fleury is in a lot better hands then it would have been if this was a year ago.

Sign him. Earlier he learns to play against men the better.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
His stock fell in the draft because he was on such a lousy team. You now see a different player. We have a potential future NHL Dman in this kid.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
His stock fell in the draft because he was on such a lousy team. You now see a different player. We have a potential future NHL Dman in this kid.

This is why scouting is important. It gives you context when you watch someone play. Fleury had the league-worst plus/minus the year of his draft. But that's because he was always on the ice seeing as he was Kootenay's best player being used in every situation. If all you looked at were his numbers, he was a bad pick, as was the immediate reaction to the selection by many. But right now, he's jumped up as one of the team's best prospects.

No matter how bad a team is, you can still see the talented players, regardless of how good or bad their stats are.

Habs selected Scott Walford 19 spots earlier than Fleury. And after one year, Fleury is clearly the more promising prospect.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
This is why scouting is important. It gives you context when you watch someone play. Fleury had the league-worst plus/minus the year of his draft. But that's because he was always on the ice seeing as he was Kootenay's best player being used in every situation. If all you looked at were his numbers, he was a bad pick, as was the immediate reaction to the selection by many. But right now, he's jumped up as one of the team's best prospects.

No matter how bad a team is, you can still see the talented players, regardless of how good or bad their stats are.

Habs selected Scott Walford 19 spots earlier than Fleury. And after one year, Fleury is clearly the more promising prospect.

Agreed , though don't forget that Walford is less seasoned.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
How many of the four dmen (Brook, Walford, Fleury, and Tyszka) from the 2017 draft will become top 4 NHLers?

I'll be thrilled if just one of them does.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
How many of the four dmen (Brook, Walford, Fleury, and Tyszka) from the 2017 draft will become top 4 NHLers?

I'll be thrilled if just one of them does.

Brook is who I think has the best chances of being a Top-4. I do believe Fleury has NHL potential, but I wouldn't say it's Top-4 just yet. Tyszka is the sleeper in the 2017 draft for me.

I'm very curious to see Brook and Tyszka particularly next year in the WHL.

Walford doesn't excite me. I'm not writing him off by any means. But out of the entire 2017 class, he's the least interesting one to me. And in a draft class that included 7 picks, having only one of them not particularly interest me is a real good sign.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Brook is who I think has the best chances of being a Top-4. I do believe Fleury has NHL potential, but I wouldn't say it's Top-4 just yet. Tyszka is the sleeper in the 2017 draft for me.

I'm very curious to see Brook and Tyszka particularly next year in the WHL.

Walford doesn't excite me. I'm not writing him off by any means. But out of the entire 2017 class, he's the least interesting one to me. And in a draft class that included 7 picks, having only one of them not particularly interest me is a real good sign.

Walford had a good end to his season and play-offs in his draft year.. but that hasn't seemed to really carry over.. he was a non-event this year.

Brook and Fleury are looking great.. while Tyszka was very good defensively and mediocre offensively in his draft year, then flipped it this year, being good offensively but mediocre defensively.. this year we need to see him put both sides together otherwise I don't think he's gonna be much.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Walford was the classic reach for need pick. We entered last years draft needing LHD, and it just seemed as though we couldn't get our hands on any until finally we just reached for Walford.

Very excited for Brook and Fleury. Combined with Weber, Petry and Juulsen, we are in great shape at RD for now and the future.

Locks

May 28, 2005
Outstanding tournament for Fleury - deserves an all-star selection. While Mahura is the main offensive guy on the back end, Fleury is their go to guy defensively and he provides secondary offense. With a bit more luck, he could have had more points there: hit the post on a point shot against SC, missed on a open net against the dogs and set up a great chance on PP resulting in a shot off the crossbar.

What I particularly like about him is he does not make many mistakes. His reads are very good and he is so calm out there. Combined with his trademark physicality, mobility and puck-moving skills, it is within the realm of possibility for him to became a top four guy. He could become what people were hoping Emelin would be but never really was - a mobile, physical dman who can move the puck and chip in offensively.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Does Cale Fleury get signed this summer? He turns 20 in November and could play in Laval. Would another year in junior be the better route? Has he done enough to get a contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad