Prospect Info: Cale Fleury

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Nickname: “Flower”

“Playing against older and stronger players drives me to be in the best shape possible. Being a player who likes to play physical. I worked on it in the Juniors and I think I've done well since the beginning of the season.”

“It's partly because of my confidence on myself. I didn't have to worry about what I was going to bring on the ice after my injury. I just worked hard with the physiotherapists to get back to 100%.”

“I've never really watched a particular player. But living all the NHL vibes with my brother Hayden it motivated me. I watched him going on every step to be there and I was inspired by it...”

“I really like hip hop. Especially Post Malone.”

“Centropolis is really fun. There are many things to do there. I like being there with the players.”

“Arriving at the camp this year, I didn't really know where I was going. My future was uncertain. I knew I was going to play professional... But I didn't know if it was this season or the next ones.”

“I don't know... Lately, I liked the Suits Series and it looks for me nice to be a lawyer. I've always wanted to become a Hockey player. It's my lifestyle. Even though becoming a lawyer looks cool, my dream was hockey.”

“Not really, yeah maybe. I've my routine before every games. But I do it because I like how my body feels after. I don't think it's mental. I also eat the same thing before the games. But it's just because I think it's the best thing for me.”

“That's marvelous. It's hard to believe it's an AHL's amphitheater. The ambience and the crow was/is amazing. Especially during the opening games.

Reactions: ItzaGreat

Jul 6, 2016
we'll see how they look at camp, Fleury needs more time in the AHL imo, but I could see him getting some NHL games as injuries will happen at some point. My hope is that under Bouchard he will push for the Habs not to rush these kids but we'll see.

With Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Folin, on the right side, Brook and Fleury can take their time at AHL level.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
RD Cale Fleury is developing into a very solid two-way defenseman which was evident during his transition to the professional ranks. He’s a fluid skater with average speed that uses his crossovers and quick turns to stay with the play. He’s positionally sound and uses an active stick to break up plays. A smart defenseman who manages the puck well doesn’t force plays and isn’t afraid to carry the puck even while under pressure. He’s got very good vision, solid passing abilities and is able to hit forwards with long stretch passes. Fleury possess a heavy release both of the wrist and slap shot variety he’s also patient in getting pucks through from the point. He’s a physical defenseman who loves to step up with well-timed open ice hits.

Notes: Habs Prospects in Laval

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
At this point probably. Haydn has dropped quite a bit.
Haydn has been a disappointment considering how high he was drafted. I would have expected him to be a regular at this point. His one year contract didn’t show a whole lot of confidence in him long term.

Reactions: JuJu Mobb

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Haydn has not played as well as Cale if you compare their AHL play

their numbers in the WHL are very similar as is their rookie AHL seasons but the difference is Cale with the exception of when he was traded to the Pats has been on some really terrible teams in the CHL and the worst scoring team in the AHL. Hayden played for some good to really good Red Deer teams and the Canes have had a good AHL team.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Is AHL time on ice data available anywhere? I was curious to see how much Fleury averaged this year compared to other defensemen on the team

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Is AHL time on ice data available anywhere? I was curious to see how much Fleury averaged this year compared to other defensemen on the team

not that I know of. He played on the top pairing at times. The moved him around, some times he was with Alzner (who I think was the best partner for him), other times Ouellet but they were a bit scary in their own end.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Point is having a big, physical guy like Fleury on the third pairing won’t hurt.

I've heard good things. But obviously he's got to show that he can play in addition to being big. Lernout wasn't the most useful. I know Fleury sounds better. But how much better? We should find out over the next 2 or even 3 years.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I've heard good things. But obviously he's got to show that he can play in addition to being big. Lernout wasn't the most useful. I know Fleury sounds better. But how much better? We should find out over the next 2 or even 3 years.

Fleury is well ahead of Lernout, both have the size, good physical game, speed/skating/mobility but Lernout was a bottom pairing D the bulk of his time in the AHL. He played around 280 AHL games and had 10 goals, Fleury had 9 in 60 games. Fleury as a rookie saw time on the top pairing, so in his first year he's already far ahead of where Lernout was. That said it's still too early to say what his NHL upside is, he'll get a look in the NHL for sure at some point, so we'll just have to see how it goes for him once it happens.

I do think he's a bit underrated as the Habs clearly have an impressive group of D prospects so Brook and Romanov are going to get so much attention since their upside is so high. Fleury has Juulsen, Harris, Struble, Norlinder and perhaps Fairbrother to contend with in terms of fans attention. Hopefully he takes another step forward next season as it will just add that much more to the group.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Fleury is well ahead of Lernout, both have the size, good physical game, speed/skating/mobility but Lernout was a bottom pairing D the bulk of his time in the AHL. He played around 280 AHL games and had 10 goals, Fleury had 9 in 60 games. Fleury as a rookie saw time on the top pairing, so in his first year he's already far ahead of where Lernout was. That said it's still too early to say what his NHL upside is, he'll get a look in the NHL for sure at some point, so we'll just have to see how it goes for him once it happens.

I do think he's a bit underrated as the Habs clearly have an impressive group of D prospects so Brook and Romanov are going to get so much attention since their upside is so high. Fleury has Juulsen, Harris, Struble, Norlinder and perhaps Fairbrother to contend with in terms of fans attention. Hopefully he takes another step forward next season as it will just add that much more to the group.
I think Fleury has more upside than any D aside from Brook. Maybe even Romanov. Hes really underrated.

Reactions: Tyson

Draft Dynasty

Oct 28, 2014
Your videos are fantastic, well done. I am very surprised you don't have more views. Just a suggestion, maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed you mentioned mostly their positive points, how about mentioning what they need to improve to get to the next level? Thank you so much for your vids!

A few negatives clips on the Latest Scouting report on Cale Fleury.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
A few negatives clips on the Latest Scouting report on Cale Fleury.

nothing wrong with pointing out the negatives as well. I have been saying around here all year that Fleury needs a good bit of work on his defensive play. Love the shot and the physical game but it's a good point that he needs to be careful going for those big hits as they look cool when he lands them but not so cool when he misses or is behind on the play and they score.

That said I saw just about every game of Laval, one thing I didn't like is when they broke up the Alzner Fleury pairing, to me that was the best partner for him, things went downhill defensively when they moved him to the Ouellet Fleury pairing. I forget the exact date it happened and I know plus minus is not the best stat and all but if you look at Fleury from the start of the season to the end of December he was a -3, then from Jan 1st to the end of the season he was a -13.

Now of course plus minus is more of a team stat and the team took a nose dive in the 2nd half after the vets like Agostino, Chaput, Froese were called up or traded. But it was in the 2nd half when he started to play with Ouellet which imo didn't help him out a lot as both have good offensive skills and struggle with defensive play.

also not to confuse you but I moved your post to the Fleury thread as I thought it would get more views there.

Draft Dynasty

Oct 28, 2014
nothing wrong with pointing out the negatives as well. I have been saying around here all year that Fleury needs a good bit of work on his defensive play. Love the shot and the physical game but it's a good point that he needs to be careful going for those big hits as they look cool when he lands them but not so cool when he misses or is behind on the play and they score.

That said I saw just about every game of Laval, one thing I didn't like is when they broke up the Alzner Fleury pairing, to me that was the best partner for him, things went downhill defensively when they moved him to the Ouellet Fleury pairing. I forget the exact date it happened and I know plus minus is not the best stat and all but if you look at Fleury from the start of the season to the end of December he was a -3, then from Jan 1st to the end of the season he was a -13.

Now of course plus minus is more of a team stat and the team took a nose dive in the 2nd half after the vets like Agostino, Chaput, Froese were called up or traded. But it was in the 2nd half when he started to play with Ouellet which imo didn't help him out a lot as both have good offensive skills and struggle with defensive play.

also not to confuse you but I moved your post to the Fleury thread as I thought it would get more views there.

Yeah I think the Alzner and Fleury duo was the best for him. Early during the year Ouellet was very good but toward the end he wasn't playing defense at all. Wasn't trying. I'm curious to see what they will do with Alzner. Should you really give ice time to a guy that won't be playing for the Habs in 2 years ? Maybe it's better to give ice time to a weaker/younger player that still has a slim chance to make it.

Reactions: montreal

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
After the rookie tournament. I can see fleury as a good 5/6th dman in the NHL. Physically he is mature and he is good for taking the puck after his cheks. Safe bet to me

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
After the rookie tournament. I can see fleury as a good 5/6th dman in the NHL. Physically he is mature and he is good for taking the puck after his cheks. Safe bet to me

yeah he shown some nice things. Hopefully he can iron out the apparent defensive lapses he could be a bit more. Could crack a PP2 unit.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
yeah he shown some nice things. Hopefully he can iron out the apparent defensive lapses he could be a bit more. Could crack a PP2 unit.

Needs more time honing his game but should be a viable D man in the near future. As is,similar to Folin with upside to improve overall seeing just a kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->