Prospect Info: Cale Fleury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He's good, I've been impressed with him everytime I've seen him play this year. The production might never quite materialize with the pros but he plays a complete, smart game. He's potentially a better version of Juulsen in my book and I really like Juulsen so that tells you a lot. I'd say he's almost a surefire bet to play in the NHL in some capacity. Just let him sit under the learning tree for a bit more .

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's good, I've been impressed with him everytime I've seen him play this year. The production might never quite materialize with the pros but he plays a complete, smart game. He's potentially a better version of Juulsen in my book and I really like Juulsen so that tells you a lot. I'd say he's almost a surefire bet to play in the NHL in some capacity. Just let him sit under the learning tree for a bit more .

6'-1", 203 Lbs. If he can prove to provide shutdown ability and make smart passes in exiting our one end, I will like this a lot! So many people look at offensive ability and yeah, it's nice but I want our D to provide shutdown ability for whatever goalie we have in net in the future.

A defenseman needs to learn how to play D first. If they can move the puck and find a forward who has open space in front of him, we got something and there is a lot of value to this that don't show up on the score board.

Ekholm for example made the NHL at age 23. Look at how long it took him to make the NHL and who he is today at age 28? Fleury is the type who is going to make small gains from season to season and he's off to a good start.

Toligwen

Jan 5, 2019
Not even mentioning later rounds, such as obvious 5th rounder Gallagher. 2010 not so far away

Chris Chelios

Feb 11, 2006
In the first post ( 2017 ) the comparison was seabrook ( style wise ) is it the case almost 2 years later?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Sounds like he has a chance. Be great '17 draft for Montreal if he makes NHL.

for sure he has a chance, it's just a question of how much can he progress over the next few years. He's got the physical tools you want to see, size, skating, speed, mobility, strength. He's got a good physical game, he's got a big shot, he can move the puck. He needs some work in his defensive play and seems to be in the right place for it as Laval is one of the best defensive teams in the AHL. Plus having guys like Alzner, Schlemko, Ouellet should help a good bit as fans might not care for them but they have a ton of NHL experience and know what it takes to make it.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Sounds like he has a chance. Be great '17 draft for Montreal if he makes NHL.

Yeah I haven't seen much of him myself but he'll definitely get a real chance to play in the NHL. He's been impressing ever since his first pro game. The tools seem to be there. Seems to at least be a bottom pairing guy.

'17 looks to have at least 4 NHLers as far as I can tell. All 4 could be varying degrees of solid to very good. Wouldn't rule out the other 3 guys though I've never been a big fan of Ikonen. At least not since I saw him at the WJCs.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I've been resisting the urge to make a Liljegren vs Fleury poll on the main board, but at this point I feel like Fleury projects as the safer NHL prospect

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Bergevin said he would be called up this year though, he's the next in line. Might even be before Juulsen
If you're referring to the press conference, that's not what Bergevin said. Bergevin said "Je ne peux pas affirmer qu'il n'est pas dans le radar pour un rappel", i.e. "I can't say that he's not on the radar for a call-up". It's a giant leap to say that he's next in line for a call-up.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If you're referring to the press conference, that's not what Bergevin said. Bergevin said "Je ne peux pas affirmer qu'il n'est pas dans le radar pour un rappel", i.e. "I can't say that he's not on the radar for a call-up". It's a giant leap to say that he's next in line for a call-up.

When i heard it, my reading between the lines told me mb didnt want to say no and crush Fleury's confidence, but still it didnt sound like mb thinks he's ready. He also said something like he hopes Fleury becomes an nhler one day, but there's no guarantee.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Bergevin said he would be called up this year though, he's the next in line. Might even be before Juulsen

Makes sense to give him a taste of the NHL after he has done well in his first AHL season since turning pro. Gives him NHL salary for a few games and he gets to measure his game at another level.

But lets hope its for a few games and then back to the AHL. It's best not to shatter his confidence and any momentum has going for him. Development is building on confidence and the hunger to get better.

Reactions: Acadien86
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->