Prospect Info: Cale Fleury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The future of the RD is looking good, if Fleury, Brooks, Juulsen become legitimate offensive players (most likely Fleury) would become very nice! It's just a matter of LHD prospects to pan out mostly

I think Reilly and Romanov are good options on the Left side. Mete is as well but he needs to take the next step offensively if we are going to allow him to get man handled in our own end down low. We clearly lack a top end guy though.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
He's better offensively then defensively. He's got a big shot and can move the puck well. His defensive game needs some work, he's certainly a top 10 prospect for us maybe around top 5. He's got the size, skating, speed, mobility, strength, physical game, solid offensive tools. There's a lot to like, just really hope they leave this kid in the AHL for at least a full year and then let him play in Laval again next year unless he kills it at camp. I think if Bouchard and his staff can shore up his defensive decisions, he could be a decent NHLer.

Can he be a Sheldon Souray type of D-Man ?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Can he be a Sheldon Souray type of D-Man ?

More like a Byron type pick up but plays D. He turned 25 this summer and before this season he had 103 NHL games spread over 3 seasons. Most games he has played in one season was 57 which was split between the Wild and Habs last year.

We picked up Byron at age 25. We picked up Petry when he was 26.

A lot of players mature from mid 20's to their 30's. Reilly is a great pick-up at the right time in his career.

Reactions: jaffy27

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
More like a Byron type pick up but plays D. He turned 25 this summer and before this season he had 103 NHL games spread over 3 seasons. Most games he has played in one season was 57 which was split between the Wild and Habs last year.

We picked up Byron at age 25. We picked up Petry when he was 26.

A lot of players mature from mid 20's to their 30's. Reilly is a great pick-up at the right time in his career.
This thread is about Cale Fleury my friend. I like Reilly too though.

Reactions: dralaf

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This thread is about Cale Fleury my friend. I like Reilly too though.

My bad. Fleury is off to a good start in his 1st pro year. He has the strength and reliability like Juulsen to show promise earlier vs later.

If Fleury and Juulsen continue on their development paths, and Weber comes back like the Weber we know, Petry should be traded at the deadline. Petry stands to have another good production year and I can only imagine the playoff teams that line up for him.

However, we are in the playoff hunt so we likely are buyers vs sellers. Opportunity is there for us to get a solid return for Petry. Blues traded Stastny and they were in a playoff mix. Habs fan base won't allow us to make the same move?

Crossing my fingers our management looks at the big picture and that is the future, not today.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
I see him as a Petry 2.0 but hits very good, loves shooting the puck from points and his shots are pretty damn good! I see him as a #3 D, I would say #2 but that's a long shot, very good vision, shot is perfection and is a PMD if he translates and grow his attribution I think he could be an effective D as a point maker!

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
This kid is gonna end up being one of those sleeper prospects that becomes a mainstay NHL defencemen for a long time. It will be interesting to see how the Canadiens deal with their upcoming log jam at RHD with Weber, Petry, Juulsen, and now Brook and Fleury.

Reactions: dralaf

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
You can thank the fact that his junior team was atrocious during his draft year which may have made it difficult for scouts to assess how good he was or would become. He was a staggering -61 in his draft year.

Happy that Timmins and his Western Canada scouts looked past that. They also took Tyszka in the 5th, who was passed over by many due to a shoulder injury he suffered mid-season of his draft year, but Habs scouts kept that in mind. And I like that pick, as well.

Reactions: Tyson

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
With Juulsen already looking top 4 in the NHL and Fleury and Brook on the horizon there's no question Petry should be on his way out. If not at the trade deadline (my preference) then certainly at the 2019 draft.

RHD shot, offensive D, time to sell high.

Really like Fleury. Hoping he can contribute a bit of offense too and that Montreal leaves him down there all year.

However, if we were to have any more injuries on D he might be in line as the first call-up.

I think the first call ups if there are more injuries would be Kulak and/or Lernout before Fleury.

Reactions: Tyson

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I think the first call ups if there are more injuries would be Kulak and/or Lernout before Fleury.

Kulak is a lefty, but yes, he would be first. Lernout is in that "been there done that" category, so if we wanted a RHS do we go to him?

Probably not an issue til December. We seem to pile up a lot injuries in that month over the years.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
so how does he compare to Juulsen? More offense? Better skater? Not quite as solid defensively?

he's shown more offense in the AHL but in the WHL Juulsen had more production at 17 then Fleury had 19. Fleury is a better skater, quicker, more mobile. Not as good defensively, as Juulsen was just so good defensively.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Habs right side D is saturated. If Fleury is ready to make the jump to the NHL next year which is looking more likely and brook being a year or two away, we’ll need to make space. Like other posters have mentioned, Perry’s value has never been higher than it is now. I wouldn’t trade him at the deadline unless we’re out of it but certainly at the draft he’d easily fetch a 1st rounder plus at this point. He’s shown he can play on a top pairing and not look out of place. That’s something a lot of other promising young D haven’t been able to show. With RHD being at a premium and us having so many, Habs would be foolish not to look at the possibility especially with his NMC becoming a limited NTC now.

Reactions: cphabs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad